E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car has been in the shop a month for a 3 day repair

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 02:45 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sooooo pissed right now, another weekend with out my car. I took it to an independent bmw mechanic because I wanted to save some money, boy that a mistake. My car was leaking oil, which they thought was valve gaskets, they replaced those, still leaking. Then they said "oh it must be some cracked seal or something", replaced those, still leaking. Then they said "oh it must be the actual valve covers and they found a sib stating that the covers can warp. So they replaced those, however they were unaware that with the redesigned valve cover that some hose was in a different place then the defective one, so they are waiting on hoses for one side because apparently they received one hose and didnt receive the other.

Long story short, they have had my car for month worth of time. Do I have any recourse? It is beyond fustrating, I ust made a payment on a damn car that havent driven in 3 1/2 weeks.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:52 PM
Senior Members

If you authorized the repairs along the way, you do not have recourse. They are following and connecting the dots.

I?m sure it would have been a 3-day repair at a BMW dealership workshop.

I doubt that indies work on a lot of E60s since they all go to the dealership.
Old 11-14-2008, 03:04 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These cars can be frustrating to work on. There is a reason why the dealership gives free rental cars usually when your BMW is being repaired. On the surface they say its a perk of owning a BMW(kind of is). But reality is its almost a must have because it is quite common for the dealership to take days to repair things, sometimes weeks. People won't like spending 50K+ and not having a car for 10 days because it has an odd ticking sound or whatever coming from it.

Not a whole lot you can do in your position. In reality the dealership chances are would've took the same steps. Maybe the right tech might have checked that valve cover a little closer but I won't count on it. Many dealerships aren't even aware of many of the SIB that come out. That is why you see people on here weekly asking if anyone has a copy of "x" SIB.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:21 AM
Members

04/545/step ... long story , bottom line, do a google search on "mechatronics seal" (no kidding) and find the link:

bmw.justanswer.com/questions/17yca-oil-leaking-beneath-e60-doesnt - 26k -

I had this problem, out of warranty, 1000$ dealer est verified by BMW indy shop.
$16.00 seal 3.8 hours of labor, did the auto tranny fluid change as well since the oil pan is PLASTIC! and had to be removed to get to seal (as well as exhaust). Pan/gasket/integral filter (~$250), BMW synthetic tranny fluid, $180 ! ! IT adds up.

No doubt all/most would be covered if i had the extended (100k miles) new car warranty- since i am the orig owner.
Keeping track, about $1500 to go before 100k miles.... it will be close unfortunately.

And i found my other leak, either a cracked radiator expansion tank or a cap that wont hold pressure.
Found the tank & cap on realcom.com, ordered from pelican.
Since i am 85k miles i am planning to do all hoses as well (thats ~$260 for 5 hoses, the costliest one is $81 !)

Fun weekend ahead.

-mike
Old 11-15-2008, 12:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 Jet Black 545i w/ sport pkg, nav, HUD

I had this problem, out of warranty, 1000$ dealer est verified by BMW indy shop.
$16.00 seal 3.8 hours of labor, did the auto tranny fluid change as well since the oil pan is PLASTIC! and had to be removed to get to seal (as well as exhaust). Pan/gasket/integral filter (~$250), BMW synthetic tranny fluid, $180 ! ! IT adds up.

No doubt all/most would be covered if i had the extended (100k miles) new car warranty- since i am the orig owner.
Keeping track, about $1500 to go before 100k miles.... it will be close unfortunately.

[/quote]

I can't follow you...do you have the extended warranty? What do you mean 'it will be close unfortunately'?

Will
Old 11-15-2008, 07:03 PM
Members

Extended warranty price: ~2600. I declined. After the repair, i have 15k miles & $1600 to go before i "should-of", "would-of", "could-of", follow?

Originally Posted by lospice1' post='722133' date='Nov 15 2008, 04:17 PM

I can't follow you...do you have the extended warranty? What do you mean 'it will be close unfortunately'?

Will
Old 11-15-2008, 08:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with everything

why oh why do people buy an expensive high end luxury car and cheap out on service and repairs to save a few bucks? Isn't your time worth something? It's like hitting yourself in the head with a hammer and then complaining that it hurts. Independent shops are not equipped to diagnose and repair complex problems with these very technical cars. Note to future owners, DO NOT buy this car unless you are willing and able to have it serviced and repaired by a dealer.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 Jet Black 545i w/ sport pkg, nav, HUD

Originally Posted by gatemaster' post='722325' date='Nov 15 2008, 10:03 PM
Extended warranty price: ~2600. I declined. After the repair, i have 15k miles & $1600 to go before i "should-of", "would-of", "could-of", follow?

Think so now...in yoour original post you said you had $1500 to go before 100k miles instead of 15k miles. My advice to any new e60 buyer is to get an extended warranty or have a bmw service fund.
will
Old 11-19-2008, 02:40 PM
Members

I will NEVER EVA EVA EVA go to an independent shop again. I got my car back Monday after cumulative month of being in the shop. "Everything is fine they told me and because of your inconvenience we noticed your overflow tank was leaking so we replaced that at no cost. However there may be some residual oil left from the replacement so if you see any oil in your drive way the next couple of days don’t panic" Well guess this morning I got up and not only had an oil spot but a low oil light. I took it back first thing this morning and they topped it off but when I just got home the S$iT is still leaking. They have replaced the gaskets, and the covers, and some hoses ( or so they said they did) What else could it be????? Strangely enough though I don’t have the burning smell anymore so it must not be leaking on the manifold anymore. Help!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-19-2008, 02:59 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 545insc' post='721533' date='Nov 14 2008, 07:45 PM
I am sooooo pissed right now, another weekend with out my car. I took it to an independent bmw mechanic because I wanted to save some money, boy that a mistake. My car was leaking oil, which they thought was valve gaskets, they replaced those, still leaking. Then they said "oh it must be some cracked seal or something", replaced those, still leaking. Then they said "oh it must be the actual valve covers and they found a sib stating that the covers can warp. So they replaced those, however they were unaware that with the redesigned valve cover that some hose was in a different place then the defective one, so they are waiting on hoses for one side because apparently they received one hose and didnt receive the other.

Long story short, they have had my car for month worth of time. Do I have any recourse? It is beyond fustrating, I ust made a payment on a damn car that havent driven in 3 1/2 weeks.
What repair shop is it to make sure i never go there?

Quick Reply: Car has been in the shop a month for a 3 day repair