E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Car gave me a bit of a scare today... Choking, sputtering, and codes&#

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 04:23 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 525xi

So, coming home from work today.. I have about between 1/8th and 1/4th of a tank left, so I pull into an Exxon on the Parkway to fill up with the usual 93 Premium.

I normally always turn the engine off when I'm filling up.. but I was distracted and didn't. As it's filling up... I feel the car shaking and making a grumbling noise and it starts to get louder, and the shaking stronger. I quickly hit the Start/Stop button and shut the engine off. The shaking and grumbling reminded me of what happens when my lawn mower is running out of gas, or when I pull on the choke cable on my pressure washer.

At this point, I'm like "...wtf just happened". I conclude that it was because the car was on a horizontal incline, and I was filling up with the engine on... and that somehow those two combined managed to cut off flow to the engine and it started choking.

I go to start it up... and it shakes and grumbles, kindof "coughs", and then start ups. At idle, it sputters back and forth between around 700 and 1000 RPM, and then goes to a normal idle.
Again.. I figure it's a result of being chocked for gas.

I go, and so far everything seems normal. As I pick up speed on the highway, I get an error in the iDrive saying that my gas cap is loose. I go a few miles until I find a safe spot to pull over, step out, remove and refasten the gas cap, making sure it's in nice and tight. I pick up.. and about a minute later, the message comes up again. This time, I continue driving and it eventually clears itself. No idea what triggered the gas cap error.

However, when I turned the car back on, it did the sputtering between 700 and 1000 RPM again. No loud gasping-for-air/gas grumble, just sputtering. After those first few seconds it's fine.

I'd also like to add that last week I had the "Service Engine Soon" light come on. Some of the errors on there were dated from a while ago (according to the miles it said the error was triggered at), so I cleared the memory. I figure: if something is wrong, then they'll come up again and then I can properly address them.

No Service Engine Soon light... but I did find errors stored in the memory. I took several screenshots of INPA, posting them below.

The codes for the errors are:

Code:
P0597 - Thermostat Heater Control Circuit/Open
P0455 - Evaporative Emission System Leak Detected (large leak)
P0172 - System Too Rich (Bank 1)
P0175 - System Too Rich (Bank 2)
P0017 - Crankshaft Position - Camshaft Position Correlation (Bank 1 Sensor B)

INPA SCREENSHOTS: http://imgur.com/a/QhDwn/embed

The screenshots from INPA give a lot more detail.

I'd also like to add that I do have a BMS Powerbox, which I set to the passthrough mode (mode 0) when I first reset the error history.

I'm hoping right now the sputtering is because I got a bad dose of gasoline from the station. But I'm not sure...

Help?
Old 10-31-2011, 04:43 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Could it be due to fillin' the gas w/ the engine running? Hmmm ... not sure now ... usually SES light will be 1st ... strange ...

Last pic stated gas cap that maybe triggered large leak and the others, maybe?
Old 10-31-2011, 05:25 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi
Could it be due to fillin' the gas w/ the engine running? Hmmm ... not sure now ... usually SES light will be 1st ... strange ...

Last pic stated gas cap that maybe triggered large leak and the others, maybe?
Yeah... I'm having trouble seeing how it could be the fault of filling with the engine on, but I don't know.

SES light came on a few days ago (not a week ago... as I initially stated.. My schedule is crazy and I lose track of time). Saturday morning to be exact. It was the first day here that was really really cold (and snowing). Not sure if that has something to do with it directly. One of the codes that were thrown did come from the temperature sensor... so the now cold winter temp could been what exposed a problem there.

As for the gas cap.. came up with a theory during dinner: The gas cap alert could be triggered by pressure sensors inside the gas tank and fuel lines. If for some reason the engine got starved for fuel for a few seconds, that could've let air into there, therefore throwing off sensors... Which could explain why the alert eventually went away after a few minutes of driving on the highway. Could've been enough to flush the air out.

But that's just a theory. I'm going to go give the car another crank and wait a bit, turn it off, then crank again and see what happens. I feel like making this thread the "Ricapar fixes shit on his car" thread.

I love working on this stuff.. a little thing to tinker with here and there isn't that bad. But it's a bit of a different story when a bazillion things go at the same time, and on my only daily driver car nonetheless!
Old 10-31-2011, 05:59 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Naaahhh don't beat yourself down ... it'll be OK ... best of luck!
Old 10-31-2011, 06:55 PM
Members

My Ride: 528
Model Year: 2009

When you left the car running and filled it with gas the EVAP system was still doing its job and instead of just pulling fuel vapors back into the intake to be burned some gas actually got sucked up in the EVAP system and got burned. Chances are there is still some raw fuel in the EVAP system, it should work itself out eventually unless the EVAP canistor got saturated with gas.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:59 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

When did they start letting New Jerseans pump their own gas...? When I lived there you had to pay for someone to do this. For sure if you pop that gas cap off while the car is running you will get the gas cap error. I'm not so sure about the stumbling although l1tech's response makes perfect sense.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:39 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by l1tech
When you left the car running and filled it with gas the EVAP system was still doing its job and instead of just pulling fuel vapors back into the intake to be burned some gas actually got sucked up in the EVAP system and got burned. Chances are there is still some raw fuel in the EVAP system, it should work itself out eventually unless the EVAP canistor got saturated with gas.
That actually sounds very plausible. And so far it seems to be working out fine. The spluttering stopped - car now turns on and goes to a steady and healthy-sounding idle.
I know now to not leave it on while refueling anymore... yikes!

Originally Posted by tonyb635
When did they start letting New Jerseans pump their own gas...? When I lived there you had to pay for someone to do this. For sure if you pop that gas cap off while the car is running you will get the gas cap error. I'm not so sure about the stumbling although l1tech's response makes perfect sense.
They still don't Having lived in NJ all my life.. I've actually gotten quite spoiled by it. Few times I've refueled in neighboring states... I've sat in the car for a few minutes waiting for someone to come by. No one comes
I was in the car as the guy at the station was pumping it.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:36 PM
Senior Members

So, yup, spluttering in is gone.

However... I can't quite tell if it's just my head, or if it's the car... but it kinda feels like it's a bit lower on power than it normally is.

Anyone have any ideas on how to approach the other codes I got?
Old 11-01-2011, 04:50 PM
Members

My Ride: 528
Model Year: 2009

The Evap leak code and the rich code for bank 1 and 2 are more than likely related to your refueling the car with the engine running, the camshaft position code is more than likely a bad cam sensor. Clear all the codces and then let us know if the P0597 comes back adn we'll go from there.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:51 AM
Senior Members

Cleared the codes again. Some came back.

Code:
P0597 - Thermostat Heater Control Circuit/Open
P0016 - Crankshaft Position - Camshaft Position Correlation (Bank 1 Sensor A)
P0017 - Crankshaft Position - Camshaft Position Correlation (Bank 1 Sensor B)
My gas mileage is also being really crappy right now... 18-ish MPG on the drive to work. :thumbsdown:

I'm currently looking up service manuals and threads on here on doing the thermostat replacement.
Found this topic to be quite good: https://5series.net/forums/topic/118...or-n52-engine/

Digging around to see if I can scans of that area from the Bentley Service Manual. I'll probably buy the darn thing too if this stuff keeps up.

On a related note: When I got the car, it wasn't a BMW CPO - but it did come with an aftermarket warranty from a company called "Zurich". It's a powertrain warranty.
Does anyone have any experience with them? Would a thermostat replacement be covered under the powertrain?