E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Car did not start today morning

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 10:50 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i Titanium Silver
Thumbs up

We had -5F temp overnight. My 545 was sitting outside. Came out in the morning. Started and stalled 2 second later. Any subsequent attempts to start were unsuccessful. Starter cranks but engine does not start. Tank had 1/4 of the tank. 5 minutes later came out to try again. Started cranking and after second try engine started. No CEL, no rough idle, everything looks fine. The only difference that two day ago filled up on the different gas station not the one I usually do. Of course first idea was that gas line got frozen. But why would it start 5 minutes later when nothing has changed? Second idea was that fuel pump is acting up (it pressurizes fuel supply system once you wake up the car) and maybe at the end of the life (car has 110k miles). Got to work fine, no performance issues.
Going to hookup GT1 tonight to see if anything codes were stored in the computer.
Anybody had similar issue? Anybody have other ideas? (gas line, pump, injectors, etc..)
Old 12-16-2009, 01:51 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by bars_sun' post='1074758' date='Dec 16 2009, 02:50 PM
We had -5F temp overnight. My 545 was sitting outside. Came out in the morning. Started and stalled 2 second later. Any subsequent attempts to start were unsuccessful. Starter cranks but engine does not start. Tank had 1/4 of the tank. 5 minutes later came out to try again. Started cranking and after second try engine started. No CEL, no rough idle, everything looks fine. The only difference that two day ago filled up on the different gas station not the one I usually do. Of course first idea was that gas line got frozen. But why would it start 5 minutes later when nothing has changed? Second idea was that fuel pump is acting up (it pressurizes fuel supply system once you wake up the car) and maybe at the end of the life (car has 110k miles). Got to work fine, no performance issues.
Going to hookup GT1 tonight to see if anything codes were stored in the computer.
Anybody had similar issue? Anybody have other ideas? (gas line, pump, injectors, etc..)
Never had any issues like that, but it's possible that the system flooded. Were you pressing on the gas pedal to make it start? Tomorrow morning, allow more time from the time you unlock (and gas pump starts priming) to the time you crank the ignition. G/L
Old 12-16-2009, 03:51 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='1074866' date='Dec 16 2009, 04:51 PM
Never had any issues like that, but it's possible that the system flooded. Were you pressing on the gas pedal to make it start? Tomorrow morning, allow more time from the time you unlock (and gas pump starts priming) to the time you crank the ignition. G/L
Nope, never press gas - gotta keep foot on a brakes. Another thing I noticed coming back from work - got ABS/DSC error and it disappeared right away but stayed on the iDrive long enough for me to notice. When electronic failures start happening it usually indication that battery or alternator let go. Will be watching for that too. Seems like no start issue might be related to that too - battery and alternator are original and have never been replaced in 110k miles. Just don't want to be stranded on the road waiting for tow truck.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:27 AM
Senior Members

I had kind of similar thing. While driving, after 10 mins. the I drive went dead. I got several warnings and the car stopped driving. Fortunately I was very close to a parking place, so no harm to others done. I tried to start again, but wasn't able to. I tried to lock the doors, nothing. There was totally no life in my car. After 1 hour I tried starting again and suddenly all the warnings were gone, and the car started. There was life. Now three days later I have no problem at all an all is working fine.
I guess my car couldn't handle the sudden cold, since it's freezig at night (-7 C / 19.4 F).
Old 12-17-2009, 06:59 AM
Contributors

Ok, frozen gas line could be crossed out of the list - that's not it since car did absolutely the same today morning with fresh full tank of gas put in yesterday. What's interesting is that I did not hear fuel pump at all. As of right now everything points to it being at fault. I wonder how many people have replaced fuel pump in their E60. Don't count HPFP in 535i though
Old 12-18-2009, 10:14 AM
Contributors

DIS found nothing
As this moment I'm kinda lost and the only things which would make sense to replace (if any) are fuel pump and battery. It warmed up a little bit outside (30F) and car starts without any hesitation.
As of right now I won't probably be replacing anything and will wait and watch the pattern.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:05 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525xi

"Seems like no start issue might be related to that too - battery and alternator are original and have never been replaced in 110k miles."

I'd check the battery first. My 06 525xi battery just died on a very cold day. Bring your car to a battery store and have them read your batter. If the CCA is too low, you should change your battery.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

My 325i's and 525iA's (four all in all) did not like at all that they where started up and then shortly shut off.

It takes about 10 minutes before they start again.

They flood as "porsche911targa" wrote and it takes some time for the gas to evaporate.

I had the same "problem" with all four of them.