E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Car is dead

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 11:42 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: AW E46 M3 Vert

Originally Posted by bigbadbull
Did it rain there last night? Not kidding this is a serious question...
If it did can you open the trunk open and look under the spare tire for water.
Yea it rained lol but no water in trunk. What would that do anyway?
Old 03-26-2010, 01:13 PM
Members

Sounds like a drained battery. Maybe you or one of your passengers left the interior light on. The light drained the battery over night. Try jumpstarting the car and see what happens.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:36 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

Power management control box is down there, but if there water down there, there is a good chance that water hit some of the other electronics back there.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:30 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530I Silver gray with gray leather with Premium Package, Logic 7 Premium sound system with Ipod interface, xenon adaptive headlights, Active steering, Power retractable rear sunshade, Comfort seats, Cold weather package and M5 OEM 166 wheels, Sprintbooster. Ceramic Tint all around, Bilstein Sports shocks with Eibach springs, Brake performance Rotors and Axxis ceramic pads.

I believe it is your battery. I just change my battery today. I have a similar situation 2 weeks ago. Not quite dead like yours but I have to jump start the car. I charged the battery and it has been okey. But, my friend a BMW mechanic told me the battery is due for a change. Our E60 consumes a lot of power. Most of the E60 he works on 4 to 5 years old have similar problem. Sometimes he said it will have no symtoms but the diagnostics computers will show low voltage faults. I suggest that you buy the recommended battery and install it yourself and then bring it to the Dealer to register the new battery to your on board computer so it will charge your battery properly. Good luck
Old 03-26-2010, 04:36 PM
Members

This exact thing happened to me 3 weeks ago. My right blinker flashed once or twice when trying to open the boot. No turnover whatsoever. Your battery is fine but it needs to be charger. DONT JUMPSTART YOUR CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!

Again I'll say it - DONT JUMPSTART YOUR CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!

A jobsh**e recovery guy came out (covered & sent by my insurance company) Hooked up one power pack to the battery and one under the hud. He couldn't start it so he towed it to the nearest BMW garage. By doing this he fried my fusebox and done damage to the cable from the fuse box to the engine.

If you dont want to tow your car to a BMW dealer you need jumper cables from one running car engine to your battery - leave the other cars engine running for at least twenty minutes (dear god make sure you dont have the wires backwards). Doing this for 20 mins will charge your battery.

Disconnect cables and start your car.

Note: Make sure you give at least 20 mins because trying to start the car with a battery that gives low voltage will throw up 10 - 20 faults on your dashboard.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:44 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530i Olivine Green w/ Beige leather interior, 6 spd manual, premium package, comfort access, cold weather package, heated rear seats. 2005 Acura MDX Touring Sage Brush Pearl w/ NAV, running boards, roof rack 1993 325is Calypso Red w/ Parchment leather interior, 5 spd manual. (Sold Nov 06)

Seems to be a rash of battery issues....my car started acting up this morning. Started sluggish then had a hard time starting it 12 hours later when I was leaving work. Had four errors...Servotronic, air bags, passenger restraint, and cruise control....My car is 4 years old...believe the battery is kaput! Going to run to to the dealer tomorrow (assuming the car starts).
Old 03-26-2010, 05:52 PM
Members

My Ride: 05' 530i-

mine did the same thing bro and it turned out to be my starter and battery..
Old 03-26-2010, 08:24 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: AW E46 M3 Vert

UPDATE: ran some jumper cables from my wifes car to the front positive and ground connectors under the hood of the bimmer, started the wifes car...let the bimmer charge for about 10 min and tried to start...hesitated a bit and then started right up. got the idrive error...did the left and right turn procedure and error was gone. drove down to battery plus since they had the werker battery in stock, first had them run a test on my battery, turns out the battery was fine (6 years old) and just needed a jump. the rep said i prob left something on overnight...i was pretty sure i didnt but u never know...anyway thanks for all the help and im glad i didnt have to spend the $209.99 for the werker battery. at least now i know everything there is to know about changing batteries on this car for the future due to all the research i did on the subject while i was at work

also a funny convo i had with a local bmw service guy on the phone today.

me: hi, how much do you charge for a battery for a 2004 545?
him: is that a 545(i)???
me: lol yes sir
him: $392.96 installed, you have to buy a bmw battery and only bmw can install it, you cant just buy a battery and hook it up yourself. it needs to be programmed to the car.
me: what happens if i decide to install it myself without the programming?
him: THE CAR WONT START!.... these cars these days are crazy like that.
me: lol ok im on my way!
Old 03-26-2010, 09:18 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i Sport Package, Black/Grey. Got it July 09.
Model Year: 2004

that's good to hear

i think a few members successfully installed non BMW batteries...
Old 03-27-2010, 12:50 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i Jet Blk, Blk Int, SMG, Sport, Nav, Prem, CW Pack, L7, PDC

Originally Posted by E60 545i SPORT
UPDATE: ran some jumper cables from my wifes car to the front positive and ground connectors under the hood of the bimmer, started the wifes car...let the bimmer charge for about 10 min and tried to start...hesitated a bit and then started right up. got the idrive error...did the left and right turn procedure and error was gone. drove down to battery plus since they had the werker battery in stock, first had them run a test on my battery, turns out the battery was fine (6 years old) and just needed a jump. the rep said i prob left something on overnight...i was pretty sure i didnt but u never know...anyway thanks for all the help and im glad i didnt have to spend the $209.99 for the werker battery. at least now i know everything there is to know about changing batteries on this car for the future due to all the research i did on the subject while i was at work

also a funny convo i had with a local bmw service guy on the phone today.

me: hi, how much do you charge for a battery for a 2004 545?
him: is that a 545(i)???
me: lol yes sir
him: $392.96 installed, you have to buy a bmw battery and only bmw can install it, you cant just buy a battery and hook it up yourself. it needs to be programmed to the car.
me: what happens if i decide to install it myself without the programming?
him: THE CAR WONT START!.... these cars these days are crazy like that.
me: lol ok im on my way!
I bought a battery from Battery+ and had them do the swap real quick for like $7 bucks. I was able to fire up my car and drive home no problems. My battery was weak and camping trip with kids going in and out of my car to get drinks, interior lights on = dead car. Luckily I had a little battery pack thing to jump it to make it home and to get to Battery + the next day.

I think that reprogramming thing is a bunch of mumbo jumbo. Otherwise, my car wouldn't have started and it has been a year since I got my battery replaced.

Quick Reply: Car is dead