E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Car color & country preferences

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 01:14 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 Titanium-Grey, Leather Dakota Black, 525d, Steptronic, Navi Prof & TV, Voice Input, Panorama ceiling, Xenon with dir, etc

Hi,

Sometimes we have our minds sooooo closed. The first time i saw a white e60 was here at this forum. In my country NO ONE has a big car in white. It is called a "Fridge" (at least here the fridge color is white by definition).

So, of course i would never get one. And all seemed horrible. After seing so many i am now finding myself so close-minded. But then, why not bright yellow?

Same thing about changing cars from standard equipment. Here only "I am so cool" people and "tuning" put bigger wheels and so forth. Is it like that everywhere?

Another thing is that i noticed is that here at the forum people are much more vain and proud of their cars than i am used to see.

hehehe.
Old 01-17-2006, 04:22 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 09 - 520d M Sport - Steptronic - Carbon Black - Black Dakota Leather Sports Seats electric- Auto Climate - Piano Black Bamboo - Antracite Headlining - Business Media Kit - Sat Nav - Bluetooth - CD Changer - Auxillary Port and USB - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Advanced Voice Rec - Auto Dim Mirror - Privacy Glass - 5 Year Service Inclusive Previous -06 - 525 M Sport - Steptronic - Sapphire Black - Black Nappa Leather Sports Seats - Auto Climate - Alluminium Cubed Interior - Anthracite Headliner - Business CD with Auxillary Port - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Bluetooth - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Spare Wheel kit - Advanced Voice Rec

In Ireland a white BMW or Mercedes would also be sneered at and people would say that it was a wedding limo. The resale value of the car would be a lot less than any other colour.

Also because it rains here so often they would be very hard to keep clean. However I have seen some really nice examples of E60's on this forum also.

Grinche
Old 01-17-2006, 04:45 PM
Senior Members

Silver in the UK is the colour of choice. Its easy to clean and easy to keep looking good.

Even if you car wash it and abuse the paintwork it still looks hunkey dorey after a few years.
Old 01-17-2006, 04:49 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Sapphire Black on Black M5 - loaded sans soft close doors

Even here in the states, colors are regional. Dark blue is rare on a luxury car in the northern states where silver and black rule. However in the south and west dark blue is much more common.
Old 01-17-2006, 05:09 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Climate in (huge) USA also plays a role here. e.g light colors in southern US. White is not often seen in NE.

Ray Hull
Old 01-18-2006, 07:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: #1: 2004 545i; 6-speed manual; Sport Package; Mystic Blue with a gray leather interior and Anthracite wood; CWP; Logic 7. #2: 2010 535xi Touring; Automatic.

Originally Posted by doug_999' post='225735' date='Jan 17 2006, 07:49 PM
Even here in the states, colors are regional. Dark blue is rare on a luxury car in the northern states where silver and black rule. However in the south and west dark blue is much more common.
Blue is the best in Chicago! But I agree that black and silver are the "standard issue" colors for BMWs in Chicago.

I don't really like big white luxury cars. They give me the impression either that it's an old, retired person in Florida, or a dainty, female real estate broker. I'm neither, so it's bright blue all the way!
Old 01-18-2006, 08:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

For me silver is a nice color I had it on my previous e39, but its very boring and played out. So this time I got my 550 in jet black, IMO this color is the best for the E60 it blends all the panels together to make the car look fluid, only drawback is keeping it clean, for now I stll enjoy washing her by hand twice a week. I guess its all personal preference and how much time you want to dedicate on keeping your car look great and black in the NE is a rarity anymore.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:50 AM
Senior Members

I didn't like my titanium silver at first, but I got the car used, and seller gave me a good price, so I got it anyway. The more I look at it, the more I like it. I think E60 looks better in light colors, but i would never buy it in white, since to me, it also screams "fridge" (I'm originally from Russia where 99% of BMW and MB are black, white is a joke really).
Old 01-18-2006, 09:04 AM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d white, auto, professional sat-nav with internet, variable damper control, sports steering wheel, extended lighting, retractable tow bar, wing mirrors with dimming & folding, full electric seats with memory & lumber adjustment, etc.

Ask a dealer in the UK if you should get a white E60 and the answer everytime would be no. However ask a dealer in southern Spain the same question and it would be yes. It really is regional & country specific and like the guy in Ireland down in a big part to weather. Silver is a universal safe colour as are the darker grey colours.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

Talking to some friends in Germany about this recently, black everything seems to be the top choice there. White would be considered a rental car...

Quick Reply: Car color & country preferences