E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Car buying advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 03:25 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As I said in my very 1st post on here, weve seen a 525d 05 reg, very good looking one aswell. But im also considering an E class merc and possibly an M class. But im not sure about the M class interio, Id like an x5 but the kool ones are all out of our price range :thumbsdown: as are the new far better shape M classes.

Now I know this is a E60 forum, but I was hoping for bit of unbiased advice, since you all seem to know your cars. The budget is 12,000 UK pounds (my keyboard pound sign doesnt work ) at the most I think its between the E60, E class and possibly a Chrysler 300c. Im trying to research major issues in all these cars, the E60 has so far come up with the worst and that being the swirl flaps.

Hopefully next time I can make a post where I DONT mention bloomin swirl flaps lol
Old 02-26-2009, 04:40 PM
Members

I'm in a similar boat, except being locked in the states I have no access to any diesels aside from VW and Merc. With that said, I have been looking closely at the E320CDI. In fact, I think I have it narrowed between the E60 545i and the E320CDI as my final choice (polar ends of the auto world eh?).

The only thing that worries me about the Merc would be the transmission and electrics, in that order. The only ting that worries me about the BMW would be the electrics and the transmission, in that order.

The diesel, without a doubt, will outlive the petrol engine, but both seem to be solid powerplants.

I'll probably end up flipping a coin and getting whichever one can be had on a deal
Old 02-26-2009, 04:49 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JLinardi' post='802561' date='Feb 26 2009, 07:25 PM
As I said in my very 1st post on here, weve seen a 525d 05 reg, very good looking one aswell. But im also considering an E class merc and possibly an M class. But im not sure about the M class interio, Id like an x5 but the kool ones are all out of our price range :thumbsdown: as are the new far better shape M classes.

Now I know this is a E60 forum, but I was hoping for bit of unbiased advice, since you all seem to know your cars. The budget is 12,000 UK pounds (my keyboard pound sign doesnt work ) at the most I think its between the E60, E class and possibly a Chrysler 300c. Im trying to research major issues in all these cars, the E60 has so far come up with the worst and that being the swirl flaps.

Hopefully next time I can make a post where I DONT mention bloomin swirl flaps lol
Hmmm you're a bit all over the map with your potential choices. SUV's drive very differently than sports sedans. You can't change physics. So you need to make that choice first.

Mercs are THE status mobile but are a bit boring to drive. Like most people on this forum I find the E60 to be a great combination of luxury and driving capability. I have the V8 and it is a ton of fun. In the UK with UK fuel prices I would get a 525i. I know diesels are very popular in Europe due to the mileage but BMW?s response to the swirl flap issue has been less than stellar. I would not own and E60 without a warranty, mine is CPO covered by BMW to 100k miles. With what I read about swirl flaps destroying engines I would not take that risk without a warranty.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:21 PM
Contributors

here in the states 300Ms are driven by gangsters that cant afford bentlys but want one and people who get upgraded for free when they rent a car
Old 02-26-2009, 08:30 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sport loaded

Originally Posted by craigm1841' post='802784' date='Feb 27 2009, 12:21 AM
here in the states 300Ms are driven by gangsters that cant afford bentlys but want one and people who get upgraded for free when they rent a car

LOL +1

Most of them around here have 22" wheels on them. LOL
Old 02-26-2009, 09:18 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by craigm1841' post='802784' date='Feb 26 2009, 09:21 PM
exactly...and the older Merc M-Class are :thumbsdown:

Have you driven both cars?

Either German car will give you much more satisfaction than a 300C. Since you will be buying either one used, I would look for something with an extended warranty if you can get it. If you are buying one without a warranty it's not the end of the world - just make sure you are prepared to spend some money as it ages.

IMO both the E class and 5 series are beautiful cars so get some seat time in both and decide which one you like better, then search out your best deal on the car of your choice.

Good luck
Old 02-26-2009, 11:37 PM
Members

Remembered another E60 benefit last night. The iDrive! I know a few are sceptical about it, but I think (although I have never lived with it) its a great piece of technology plus ive ALWAYS wanted to own a car with a tv screen in the dash lol. I know Mercs have a similar thing, but ive yet to see it on a 2nd hand one in our price range. I think the Merc is slightly the better looking of the cars, but little things let it down like boring alloys/body kit on any model barring the most expensive ones.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:11 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by silly_me' post='802618' date='Feb 26 2009, 08:40 PM
I'm in a similar boat, except being locked in the states I have no access to any diesels aside from VW and Merc. With that said, I have been looking closely at the E320CDI. In fact, I think I have it narrowed between the E60 545i and the E320CDI as my final choice (polar ends of the auto world eh?).

The only thing that worries me about the Merc would be the transmission and electrics, in that order. The only ting that worries me about the BMW would be the electrics and the transmission, in that order.

The diesel, without a doubt, will outlive the petrol engine, but both seem to be solid powerplants.

I'll probably end up flipping a coin and getting whichever one can be had on a deal
Flipping a coin never works on tough decisions. At least not for me
(Go for the 545i)

Much more fun than E320 CDI. The diesel is a lot of fun when going slower but the 545i is a BEAST.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:44 AM
Senior Members

I bought a 04 525D recently for ?12K, the performance is awesome compared with a petrol. I used to own a 330 Sport which didnt feel anywhere near as quick as this, Diesels tend to have alot more torque that petrols. I have no regrets about buying the E60, I do have a to do list though.

One other thing to consider is if you opt for a 525D with the autobox and mostly do town driving then prepare to get a shock with the MPG, mine is currently around 25MPG.

1. Remove swirl flaps
2. Replace Oil separator
3. Replace Thermostat EGR

Lastly, i may consider a merc when I am getting on in the years and I no longer want a sporty saloon. Mercs have their faults too though.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:54 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine White/Biege 545i, CWP, Nav, Active Steering, Auto Step ordered 2/1/05

I have had the opportunity to drive both the E60 and the W211. They are both fine automobiles but they present completely different dynamics.

The E60, particularly the V8 545i that I drive is through-and-through a Driver's car. It still puts a smile on my face when I drive it. It is spartan in its feel from the passenger's point of view.

The W211 is not as exhilarating to drive. Not as responsive in its transmission (perhaps because of the 4Matic), handling or the road feel. However, it is a very comfortable car for the passenger. I realize that the E550 is probably more apples to apples to the 545i, but the only upgrade for the E550 is a more powerful engine. I still think that the driving dynamics would not change much.

You need to decide what is important to you, the drive or the comfort.

Sorry, I cannot comment on the ML or the Chrysler.