E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Car barely starts.. then dies on me

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2021, 07:10 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535i M / X-Drive
Model Year: 2010
Engine: N54
Default Car barely starts.. then dies on me

Been having a bit of trouble with the car for over a month..so I finally got it started by holding down the gas pedal and it started very rough and idling out of control then eventually dies on me sometimes almost instantly! With protocols it apparently can still prime the fuel pump so I don’t think it’s my FP.. I just updated the DME with My laptop and now I get insane error codes for the engine plz look at the screenshots.. but this problem was before the coding

Old 08-03-2021, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 312 Likes on 299 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

Unplug your battery for an hour and clear codes to see what comes back and report back. You flashed it so you're going to have errors. Hopefully you flashed the dependencies also
The following users liked this post:
Killaduce (08-04-2021)
Old 08-04-2021, 10:50 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by seanjordan20
Unplug your battery for an hour and clear codes to see what comes back and report back. You flashed it so you're going to have errors. Hopefully you flashed the dependencies also
seems like ur the only one I ever get help from really lol thanks dude
so I did the battery thing for an hour and this is what came back after I cleared everything and reran if.. the airbag flashing I can prob reflash and fix.. the dme errors are prob not coming back on cuz the car doesn’t start right now... did a throttle reset/idle reset and still no luck.. cleaned my spark plugs last week too they were black.. nothing changed.. I’ll replace them and the coils once I’ve resolved my issue(S).. I smell gas when I hold the gas pedal down to try and start the car.. it drains the gas too so I filled up a bit of gas earlier today and it’s sitting at 100km right now

Old 08-04-2021, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator

Did you replace the SIM/SGM? If not code to default and set timing. All of your safety devices are throwing errors which mean something was done to the 2 modules. If you flash the SGM you'll need to flash 5 other modules also so I recommend coding to default and set timing first since you have a coding error.
Old 08-04-2021, 12:03 PM
New Members

Did you replace the SIM/SGM? If not code to default and set timing. All of your safety devices are throwing errors which mean something was done to the 2 modules.
I flashed it too but how can I default it and “set timing” if u don’t mind helping? But still, this doesn’t have anything to do with the car not turning on? The problem with that was before I flashed anything at all
Old 08-04-2021, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

Is the car cranking or not doing anything at all?
Old 08-04-2021, 12:10 PM
New Members

Is the car cranking or not doing anything at all?
yes it Cranks and even turns on for a split second if I hold down the gas pedal but then turns off almost right away
Old 08-04-2021, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

And there's no CEL? That's odd. Have you done a smoke and fuel pressure test? When it's starts is it ruff idle then stops? Is your crank position sensor covered in oil? You're going to have a hard time troubleshooting this issue without a code. Don't going changing parts because it will get expensive quick. Do tests and visual checks to narrow down the issue. You have a N54 and they are known to have the mosfets go bad but usually it you will have injector/misfiring issues.

Did this just start or a car you just bought. Check the DME to see if it's been tampered with our swapped out. It should be an MSD80/1. Did the VIN match the car?
Old 08-04-2021, 12:30 PM
New Members

And there's no CEL? That's odd. Have you done a smoke and fuel pressure test? When it's starts is it ruff idle then stops? Is your crank position sensor covered in oil? You're going to have a hard time troubleshooting this issue without a code. Don't going changing parts because it will get expensive quick. Do tests and visual checks to narrow down the issue. You have a N54 and they are known to have the mosfets go bad but usually it you will have injector/misfiring issues.

Did this just start or a car you just bought. Check the DME to see if it's been tampered with our swapped out. It should be an MSD80/1. Did the VIN match the car?
I’ve had the car for a few months now. It all started with an engine overheating issue but yes the car starts very rough from the get, idles out of control and shuts off.. I flashed/updated the dme myself recently.. it is msd80 and I put my car’s vin recently to match it too.. nothing was changed part wise.. this all started to happen after we topped up on coolant.. I started the car right after and saw the rough idle.. filled up gas, drove it home 2 mins down the road, with lots of black smoke.. I reset the engine adaptations and the car didn’t turn on after that unless I held down on the gas peddle.. it also drained gas from the car which my brother said was flooding the engine.. he seems to think it’s an injector thing.. I’m not too experienced with these things so I have no idea how to do the smoke tests and what not, especially since the car won’t even turn on for more than a second

i should also mention that I put 94 octane from Petro Canada that day and it leaked the gas from the exhaust too
Old 08-04-2021, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

Ok black smoke points to a fuel issue or clogged air filter. Have you looked at your injector output? Injectors point back to the MOSFET issues the N54 has but you didn't have any of the codes so I can't definitively say it's the injectors or the DME MOSFETs causing your issues.
A smoke test is done with the car off and smoke being pumped into the intake. You look and see if smoke comes out any where and there you have a leak. You can get a cigar and tape a hose on the intake and blow smoke into it if you don't have a smoke test setup. You either have a bad leak somewhere if injector/MOFET issue. Did the engine over heat and if so how long was it over heating?

Quick Reply: Car barely starts.. then dies on me