E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Car accident ------ please help

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 05:31 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Car accident ------ please help

Hi guys,

I got into a car accident... I want advice / answers from the experts. Please help!

I drive a 2004 525. I rear ended someone on the freeway. I have Driver's License, registration, but no insurance. There is a car accident report (cops arrived out of the blue --- and one was a total a-hole)

Hood / Front bumper needs to be replaced. Plus body paint. I don't think anything else....

Car started after the accident... I even drove it for about a mile... Then I turned the engine off... About 30 minutes later, the car just wouldn't start.

My question is:

1. Replacing the Hood / Front bumper plus body paint... How much would you think it would cost me?

2. Car is high mileage ... 180,000 ... Would you advice to just repair the car... Or just sell it as it is?

3. Why won't the car start? The battery is in the trunk, it was not affected... The car even started and ran after the accident... It was only after about an hour that it did not start.

4. I had no car insurance during the accident..... There is a police report .... What would happen to my driving record if the other person decided to claim the accident through insurance? Should I just offer to pay in cash (we already discussed this and she was OK with it... But I want to know my options)

5. Anyone can refer a cheap but solid place in/around the Bay Area, CA?

Thank you in advance!

Name:  downloaddd_zps61f06419.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  122.9 KB
Old 08-12-2013, 07:58 PM
New Members

My Ride: 545

I am surprised you were not arrested for getting into an accident with no insurance . The other driver is pretty screwed since you were an uninsured driver but if your looking to do the right thing and pay for his repairs then that would be a start .
Old 08-12-2013, 08:08 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i - Sport Package, Sport Transmission, Active Steering, Navigation, Comfort Access, 7 Logic Stereo

I'd sell it 'as is' and save the money for an attorney because you're gonna get sued!

You can settle up with the other party, shake hands, and say everything is fine and they can still come back and file a suit against you later for 'injuries'.

[edit] If you want to get it fixed, go to Steve: http://www.yelp.com/biz/too-good-aut...-san-francisco

Last edited by gcvt; 08-12-2013 at 08:14 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:18 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: [N62]

You need to delete this thread. You're pouring more fuel onto the flames. Get a lawyer's consultation ASAP.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:24 PM
New Members

""""I'd sell it 'as is' and save the money for an attorney because you're gonna get sued!

You can settle up with the other party, shake hands, and say everything is fine and they can still come back and file a suit against you later for 'injuries'.""""

What gcvt said !!!!!
Old 08-12-2013, 10:22 PM
Members

Hi guys

Thank you all for the response...

Like I said ... There is already a police report... It was stated that was is perfect fine...

I already thought about getting sued... But honestly, I highly doubt it.

She was a mid-aged lady... She drives a very nice car... She looks like a mother and she looks like she's pretty loaded....I'm just a young college student... I really doubt I would get "sued" because she knows and she sees I'm just a young college student .....
Old 08-12-2013, 10:28 PM
New Members

Hey you never know the ones with money always want more even if you have nothing to give . Good Luck hope it works out for you lucky no one was hurt .
Old 08-13-2013, 04:52 AM
New Members

No lawyer is going to take a case against you unless you have a lot of money in savings. You are likely judgment proof. If you offer to pay for the other driver's auto damage, get her to sign something that says that by accepting your check she agrees it is full and final payment for any and all damages - including bodily injury. I would try and take care of this ASAP. If you have the money to consult with an attorney to help you draft the release language - do it, but do not let the other driver know you have an attorney as this may indicate to her that you have money.

I assume you got a ticket, which is appropriate. You normally are not arrested for no proof of insurance.

With respect to the damage to your car, I can't help you.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:35 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by royalflush408
Hi guys,

I want advice / answers from the experts.
Don't drive without insurance.

Other than that, Lambda28 has the best advice in this thread.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:44 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 BMW 550i M Sport. GPS, Satallite, Active suspension, Silver over Black in color with beige. 68k on the clock. My 10th BMW in forty years.
Model Year: 2010
Engine: 550 Msport

+1

Quick Reply: Car accident ------ please help