E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Can't start my car

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 03:34 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 titanium silver metallic Like new 41k Cold Weather Package

Originally Posted by Bdaddylo' post='957298' date='Jul 28 2009, 06:27 PM
I pleaded my case with the SM and he sided with me, so he went and spoke to the claim rep. The rep pointed out that over the last 4 months I averaged less than 490 miles a month and this is why BMW would not cover my battery even though as a whole I averaged more than 7,500/year. The diagnostic report had the total number of trips I made over the past 4 months and then had a break down of the trips by various distances traveled such as less than 2 miles, 2 - 5 miles, etc. I was quite astonished at the amount of information our Bimmers are collecting. I wonder if it's tracking the top speed as well.

My power steering issue was related to the bad battery. Go figure. LoL!!!
Holy Big Brother! I bet they ae listning too and you people with cameras better watch out
Old 07-28-2009, 03:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i w/ Sports & Permium Pkg. Silv/Blk 2008 VW R32 w/Nav. 1992 VW Corrado Silv/Blk-retired 2001 530i Sports/Premium-retired

Originally Posted by Bdaddylo' post='957298' date='Jul 28 2009, 07:27 PM
I pleaded my case with the SM and he sided with me, so he went and spoke to the claim rep. The rep pointed out that over the last 4 months I averaged less than 490 miles a month and this is why BMW would not cover my battery even though as a whole I averaged more than 7,500/year. The diagnostic report had the total number of trips I made over the past 4 months and then had a break down of the trips by various distances traveled such as less than 2 miles, 2 - 5 miles, etc. I was quite astonished at the amount of information our Bimmers are collecting. I wonder if it's tracking the top speed as well.

This is total crap....16ml/day driving is not enough to keep a $60+K car in running order.....who comes up with this nonsense. :thumbsdown:
Old 07-28-2009, 04:40 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Bdaddylo' post='957298' date='Jul 28 2009, 07:27 PM

Since when are you at fault because your car is designed to take more juice than it replenishes? Do not accept the excuse that it is your fault because you don't drive 1 hour per day or more. Even if it were true, that driving one hour or less per day causes the car to fail to start...that is not a justification for the car not starting. If the sale documents had been plastered with this warning, and the visors showed the large yellow warning: WARNING: This car may not start unless you drive it 1 hour per day or more!!! I would not have bought it. But no such warnings were given and thus one has the right to assume that under any non-abusive driving conditions a $70,000.00 car will start.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:44 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i E60 Orient Blau Metallic Premium, NAV, Winter Package, Heads Up Display, Logic 7 Audio, AngeliBright Upgrade [White], M5 Body Kit, M Embroidered Seats

BMW should replace the battery as a courtesy. I have had mine done this way after4+ years of battery service. It's up to your SA and SM - if they give you attitude, take it up with BMW NA. That always works and you are on the right on this....

BTW--the car stores A HELLUVA LOT of info...incl top speed!
Old 07-31-2009, 04:48 AM
Members

My Ride: 07 550i Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Steptronic, Sport, Premium, Nav, Sat. Radio, Logic 7, Comfort Access, Rear Sunshade.

Originally Posted by subarashi' post='957349' date='Jul 28 2009, 07:44 PM
BMW should replace the battery as a courtesy. I have had mine done this way after4+ years of battery service. It's up to your SA and SM - if they give you attitude, take it up with BMW NA. That always works and you are on the right on this....

BTW--the car stores A HELLUVA LOT of info...incl top speed!
I agree that my SA and SM should have sided with me when interpreting the vague terms of the battery warranty. I don't see how a minor and temporary change in my driving profile caused a 3 year old battery to fail. I am taking this matter up with BMW NA as my dealership sends out a customer experience survey which asks you if you would like to be contacted by the dealership or BMW NA. I opted for BMW NA. I'll let everyone know if BMW NA rights the wrong.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:14 AM
Contributors

lmfao... thats nuts... cause you drive less... shi% i couldnt stop driving my car, they should pay you for not driving it... lol... this is crazy... hope it turns out for the better..
Old 07-31-2009, 05:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Wow, this issue and BMW's stance, amazes and concerns me. I have a 2008 car which will be 2 years old in October 2009. I have just hit 15k miles so maybe I'll hit 16k and change at 2 years or 8k per year. I have had the battery drain warning on a couple of occasions but I am waiting for my first failure along these lines. My commute is short as well but I do take her out for longer drives on the weekends. Guess that has been enough to keep the battery charged.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:26 AM
Members

My Ride: 520i SE, 04, 18" 245s, Sapphire Black, Cream leather.

Originally Posted by GregBrand' post='957132' date='Jul 28 2009, 03:41 PM
It is a design defect. The car's electrical system takes more juice from the battery than the car's charging system restores. This would be acceptable so long as BMW placed a Yellow Warning on the Visor: WARNING: CAR MAY NOT START IF DRIVEN LESS THAN ONE HOUR PER DAY!!!

See this applicable thread: https://5series.net/forums/index.php?showto...mp;#entry950975

For months I drive my car from my house to the train station which is under 1 mile away.
I then drive it from the station to my house in the evening.

Total driving - 1.5 miles a day and 4 starts.
It's never missed a beat and my golf club is only 500 yards away but I still drive.
The car does very little mileage from week to week and still starts first time every time.
Thats my experience with it anyway.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 Jet Black 545i w/ sport pkg, nav, HUD

I was lucky enough to get my SM to approve a new battery after bringing it in 3 times!! They tried charging it 2 times before they gave me a new one. As an aside, my original sa was fired after he got me the battery and peeling trim..I'm sure it was a coincidence. Anyways, like others have said, it is ridiculous how BMW is handling this. We should have a 24v system at the very least. We shouldn't have to drive a min distance and definitely not have to buy a damn trickle charger for a 70k car!!!
Will
Old 08-19-2009, 07:30 AM
Members

My Ride: 07 550i Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Steptronic, Sport, Premium, Nav, Sat. Radio, Logic 7, Comfort Access, Rear Sunshade.

I was finally contacted by BMWNA. Before this, I threw together a spreadsheet showing why my 4 month driving profile was skewed due to a vacation and several weekend trips utilizing my wife's SUV. When I excluded these 4-5 anamolies, my driving profile was close to a 10k miles/year average. I tried to contact my SM to see if he would change his position on the warranty coverage. After several voicemails and emails with my analysis, I received no response. I proceeded to contact BMWNA and they said warranty discretion is left with the SMs as they are the ones in direct contact with the vehicles. The SMs have the authority to cover anything under "Good Will" and BMW reimburses them. BMWNA said they would document my complaint and contact the dealership. I'll let everyone know if BMWNA has any influence on the matter. Needless to say, if Momentum BMW of Southwest Houston does not change their position, I will no longer send them my business.

The lesson learned here is if you have a warranty issue, you're at the will of your SM. More than likely, they are more favorable to those who have purchased their cars from them.