E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't start my car

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 10:08 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 07 550i Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Steptronic, Sport, Premium, Nav, Sat. Radio, Logic 7, Comfort Access, Rear Sunshade.

I brought car to the tire store. They called me and said they couldn't start my car after they had it up on the rack. When I got there I tried to lock and unlock the car with my remote to see if the anti-theft feature had something to do with the car not starting. Much to my chagrin, it wouldn't start when I tried. Does anyone have any thoughts as to what is going on with my car? Is there a method to reseting the anti-theft system or could it be that the battery is run down? Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

I say, if it happened while the car was in someone else's hands, they are at fault! I had my rim scratched today by a tire shop I've been using for years; I decided not to make a big scene and just not to go there anymore and now I regret for not having pushed more to get them to pay for at least some of the refurbishing...
Old 07-28-2009, 06:48 AM
Members

My Ride: 07 550i Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Steptronic, Sport, Premium, Nav, Sat. Radio, Logic 7, Comfort Access, Rear Sunshade.

It was the battery. We jumped it and it started right up; however, the power steering went out. I dropped the car off at the dealership to have it checked out.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:22 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Bdaddylo' post='956700' date='Jul 28 2009, 09:48 AM
It was the battery. We jumped it and it started right up; however, the power steering went out. I dropped the car off at the dealership to have it checked out.
Just heard back from the SA and they want to charge me nearly $500 to change the battery. He said it's not a battery defect, but my driving profile. I average over 11k mile per year and the majority of the miles are at highway speeds since I live in Houston. You really can't get anywhere without jumping on the highway. The strike against me is due to my work being less that a mile from my home. Based on my calculations, my short distance trips make up at the most 1k of my annual 11k miles. I was going to go straight to the SM, but decided to talk to my SA again. He said that he has some energy report from the car that backs up his claim that the battery failure is not a battery defect. He said I can view the report when I pick up the car. I'll let everyone know how I make out at the dealer.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

If I got it right, you took your car to a tire/wheel shop and after that your car stalled?
Old 07-28-2009, 12:41 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Bdaddylo' post='956409' date='Jul 28 2009, 01:08 AM
I brought car to the tire store. They called me and said they couldn't start my car after they had it up on the rack. When I got there I tried to lock and unlock the car with my remote to see if the anti-theft feature had something to do with the car not starting. Much to my chagrin, it wouldn't start when I tried. Does anyone have any thoughts as to what is going on with my car? Is there a method to reseting the anti-theft system or could it be that the battery is run down? Thanks in advance for any assistance.
It is a design defect. The car's electrical system takes more juice from the battery than the car's charging system restores. This would be acceptable so long as BMW placed a Yellow Warning on the Visor: WARNING: CAR MAY NOT START IF DRIVEN LESS THAN ONE HOUR PER DAY!!!

See this applicable thread: https://5series.net/forums/index.php?showto...mp;#entry950975
Old 07-28-2009, 12:42 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 525i sport/premium pkg, nav.

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your plight. I recently had to replace my battery b/c of the same issue (unfortumately I wasn't under warranty anymore as my car is an '05). I notice that you have an '07 and with enough pressure on the dealer, they should replace it under warranty. I have seen a few threads on here where members have gotten their batteries replaced as a courtesy. The batteries on these cars are supposed to last 4-5 years which is reasonable but i wouldn't take the 'minimum use' excuse that they are giving you unless they clearly stated that your car won't perform to reasonable expectations unless you drove it specifically how BMW expects you to. I would take the issue up with the sales manager. Best of luck!
Old 07-28-2009, 01:11 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='957127' date='Jul 28 2009, 03:37 PM
If I got it right, you took your car to a tire/wheel shop and after that your car stalled?
It wouldn't start after they serviced the tires. Maybe they left the accessories on. In any case I had the dealer check the battery and they said it needed to be replaced.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:16 PM
Members

Originally Posted by eroc1200' post='957133' date='Jul 28 2009, 03:42 PM
Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your plight. I recently had to replace my battery b/c of the same issue (unfortumately I wasn't under warranty anymore as my car is an '05). I notice that you have an '07 and with enough pressure on the dealer, they should replace it under warranty. I have seen a few threads on here where members have gotten their batteries replaced as a courtesy. The batteries on these cars are supposed to last 4-5 years which is reasonable but i wouldn't take the 'minimum use' excuse that they are giving you unless they clearly stated that your car won't perform to reasonable expectations unless you drove it specifically how BMW expects you to. I would take the issue up with the sales manager. Best of luck!
I left a message with the SM before I spoke to the SA the second time. The SM just called me back. He asked how many miles I drive and I told him that I average over 10k a year. He said he would check into it and call me back.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:27 PM
Members

I pleaded my case with the SM and he sided with me, so he went and spoke to the claim rep. The rep pointed out that over the last 4 months I averaged less than 490 miles a month and this is why BMW would not cover my battery even though as a whole I averaged more than 7,500/year. The diagnostic report had the total number of trips I made over the past 4 months and then had a break down of the trips by various distances traveled such as less than 2 miles, 2 - 5 miles, etc. I was quite astonished at the amount of information our Bimmers are collecting. I wonder if it's tracking the top speed as well.

My power steering issue was related to the bad battery. Go figure. LoL!!!

Quick Reply: Can't start my car