E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Can Someone Explain Re-badge logic?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 08:58 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see these guys all the time. What makes it even more funny is that when you look inside and glance at the driver (usually a dude), he's driving his car with this attitude that it REALLY IS an M.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:09 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

This is actually very common in Germany, or similar to it. I often see 316's, 520's etc with the "M" badge on the back. Pretty funny I think. I''m also guessing that this poor idiot was probably told it was an M5 and purchased the car as such and still thinks it's an M5...!
Old 01-13-2012, 10:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Its the same mentality as those who purchase knockoff LV or other luxury bags. They know its fake. Does anyone care? Probably not. But people who have or know the real thing can spot the fake and do this...
Old 01-13-2012, 10:22 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by theXman
Its the same mentality as those who purchase knockoff LV or other luxury bags. They know its fake. Does anyone care? Probably not. But people who have or know the real thing can spot the fake and do this...
I am not sure it's quite the same though. An actual M5 has "utility" to it in regards to its performance. A bag that cost 10x more due to its brand name alone doesn't seem like a good comparison, lol.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:41 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by tonyb635
This is actually very common in Germany, or similar to it. I often see 316's, 520's etc with the "M" badge on the back. Pretty funny I think. I''m also guessing that this poor idiot was probably told it was an M5 and purchased the car as such and still thinks it's an M5...!

Don't confuse the ///M badge with the ///M3, 5, or 6 badge.

The ///M badge is a dealer installed option in Europe that shows you have M performance parts or accessories installed on your car.

It can be "fake" all the same but it's different than faking an entire M car
Old 01-14-2012, 04:23 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Originally Posted by pukka
Don't confuse the ///M badge with the ///M3, 5, or 6 badge.

The ///M badge is a dealer installed option in Europe that shows you have M performance parts or accessories installed on your car.

It can be "fake" all the same but it's different than faking an entire M car
Oh I know the factory "M" that is installed. What I am referring to is the M Striped. they buy and place next to the 316 or 520 on the back of the car. BMW never did this. If you have an M package, you will have the M on various places of the car such as the wheels and steering wheel and body molding and this does come in the very basic of all BMW cars. Most of the ones I've sen have only had the M stripes next to the rear emblem and no where else. This is just pure silly!
Old 01-14-2012, 05:08 PM
Members

I would actually love to own an M and rebadge to 520i. People will think im rice until i smoke them...but thats just me
Old 01-14-2012, 07:28 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Car

Originally Posted by CaptH
I pulled up behind an E60 that was re-badged an M5. I don't understand the thought behind doing this. People who know BMWs can certainly tell it is not an M5 (especially without any other mods)...and others that don't know BMWs will not know what is an M5. Can someone please explain to me the logic behing this type of re-badge?
There's someone at my gym with one of these. Pre-LCI and non-M body. Worse is the M badge looks like its faded and flaking. Even once parked next to me but I didn't get a chance to see who it is.

Last week I saw an X5 with an M badge to the left of the X so it said MX5. The fenders had 3.0i :thumbsdown:
Old 01-15-2012, 06:08 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by tonyb635
Oh I know the factory "M" that is installed. What I am referring to is the M Striped. they buy and place next to the 316 or 520 on the back of the car. BMW never did this. If you have an M package, you will have the M on various places of the car such as the wheels and steering wheel and body molding and this does come in the very basic of all BMW cars. Most of the ones I've sen have only had the M stripes next to the rear emblem and no where else. This is just pure silly!
This is exactly what I meant in my first post. In Europe, the DEALER can install the M stripes on the rear trunk lid, although they usually take off the model emblem so all you would see is ///M
Old 01-15-2012, 08:28 AM
Members

Rampant insecurity

Quick Reply: Can Someone Explain Re-badge logic?