E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Can someone explain 04 530d auto gearbox to me?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 04:37 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have just got an 04 530d with an auto gearbox which in full auto mode(D) is fine. However when I push the gearlever to the left to engage the manual I just don't get it. Firstly it says DS on the dash, what does this mean? When I push forward or back then it changes to M1 up to M6 but it changes automatically. For instance I get into M1 and accelerate, instead of hitting the rev limiter and staying there it changes up to M2 and so on without me doing anything. Similarly if I just want to cruise around in M4 and surf the torque it insists on changing down if it thinks M4 is too high a gear.

Is this normal behaviour? I saw on another thread that someone locks the car into M6 on the motorways, can I lock the gears? Sorry for the daft question but the manual is useless on the gearbox controls.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:16 AM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

DS is the automatic sports mode. M1-M6 are manual, and as you say it shifts up if you hit the rev limiter and shifts down if it thinks you are running on too low revs (actually I think it's the speed that's deciding wich gear it allows).
Old 01-15-2008, 05:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Carbon Black 550i, Sports, Premium & Cold Weather Packages, Steptronic, HUD, NAV.

if you have a manual - read it - it explains everything. try searching the forum as well. this has been discussed previously. all your explained occurrences are normal operation of auto tranny.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:30 AM
Members

Also keep in mind that if you push the pedal down past the kick down stop then the car will over ride your manual gear and kick down, image overtaking and realising your in the wrong gear, just push the pedal flat on the floor and the car will give then all available acceleration changing down if required.

When slowing down the car will change down automatically, otherwise it would stall. It doesn't however change down into 1st, it'll stop at 2nd allowing you to make getaways in snow etc.

Try putting it in M4 around 40-50mph then press your foot down but not past the kickdown, the car will stay on 4th gear and you'll get a nice surge of torque.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:46 AM
Members

Thanks for the quick replies. Looks like it is working perfectly but not quite as I imagined it would. It seems to me like the manual mode is simply something to put on the cars features list, I just can't see why it is there if it overrides your manual choices. Looks like I will stick to D and DS then and make the best of it. I like it in D for just running round town but a bit of extra control would have been nice.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by cb31' post='518155' date='Jan 15 2008, 06:46 AM
but a bit of extra control would have been nice.
That is what M1-M6 is there for... I think its because you dont understand how the transmission works. In order to efficiently use Manual mode you should have some background knowledge of HP, TQ, Rev ranges, and shifting points.

For you to run it at redline and bounce off the rev limiter all day long is of no use. It is an automatic. thats why EVEN in manual mode it will still upshift for you. That is how BMW designed it (Other manufactures vary) and thought its best because those that dont know how to drive manual will shorten the engines life by bouncing off the rev limiter. And because BMW offers so many different option in transmission those that dont like it when the tranny to upshift will get SMG or manual or Sports Auto.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:08 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by cb31' post='518134' date='Jan 15 2008, 01:37 PM
I saw on another thread that someone locks the car into M6 on the motorways, can I lock the gears? Sorry for the daft question but the manual is useless on the gearbox controls.
It depends on your software but I often found that in D mode the 'box never seems to shift into 6th gear even when maintaining a steady speed at motorway speeds. I used to slot into M and select 6th manually... However, since I had a software updated it now shifts into 6th more readily... (Still not early enough)

The other 'trick' is that you can hold the lever and pre-select gears. For example you're travelling along at 20mpg in M2 you can pull the level back and hold it there - as soon as the 'box can shift into 3rd it will. You can actually tap twice and hold and it will shift in M4 as soon as your speed allows it. This is really only useful for the most frugal of motoring! It also works in reverse for tapping down gears but I can't see the point in the diesels...

Remember the M mode is a compromise and the 'box is still an auto at heart...