E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

530 M Sport - judder at 70mph

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 11:47 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there - newbie to the site (looks good - will be back!), recommended from www.bmwland.co.uk (worth a look!) which I'm a member of.

I bought the attached 530 M Sport in November - it's a late 2005 model (UK).

Since I've had the car I've had a weird vibration/judder when I lift off the throttle about 70-80mph. It seems to be coming from the rear of the car and you can feel it though the seat. Not major - just annoying!

I fitted 4 new Pirelli P Zero's to the car when I had it and there's been no change.

Took it to my dealer who took my rims off and put a set on from a demonstrator and the problem is still there. My rims on their demonstrator are perfect which rules out wheels/tyres being the root cause.

To try and resolve, the dealer is in the process of ordering a new rear diff, prop and centre coupling to be fitted under warranty!!!

It does kinda feel like a drivetrain issue - but has anyone else experienced something similar? I did a search on your forum and there was similar topic from a guy, but that turned out to a buckled wheel.

Any advice welcome!

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails 530 M Sport - judder at 70mph-530.jpg  
Old 01-07-2008, 12:37 PM
Members

Tires/wheels are properly balanced?
Old 01-15-2008, 09:02 AM
Members

Unhappy

i have! on my e90 just recently. After BMW checked my car out, they told me it's because I have 3 bent rims! smh. I have yet to change the rims and will wait for winter season to be up

Originally Posted by seadooxp' post='514794' date='Jan 7 2008, 03:47 PM
Hi there - newbie to the site (looks good - will be back!), recommended from www.bmwland.co.uk (worth a look!) which I'm a member of.

Since I've had the car I've had a weird vibration/judder when I lift off the throttle about 70-80mph. It seems to be coming from the rear of the car and you can feel it though the seat. Not major - just annoying!

I fitted 4 new Pirelli P Zero's to the car when I had it and there's been no change.

Took it to my dealer who took my rims off and put a set on from a demonstrator and the problem is still there. My rims on their demonstrator are perfect which rules out wheels/tyres being the root cause.

To try and resolve, the dealer is in the process of ordering a new rear diff, prop and centre coupling to be fitted under warranty!!!

It does kinda feel like a drivetrain issue - but has anyone else experienced something similar? I did a search on your forum and there was similar topic from a guy, but that turned out to a buckled wheel.

Any advice welcome!

Cheers.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:45 AM
Contributors

The original post said the tyres and wheels have been changed, not sure if you both got bored and stopped reading ... ?!

I've never heard of this before without it being caused by tyres or wheel. Somebody who is good with the search function might be able to find some historical posts with a similar proble, I did a quick search and couldn't see anything obvious.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:10 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i, Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Nav, Jet Black, natural brown interior, automatic, Logic 7, ipod, lane departure warning.

Originally Posted by seadooxp' post='514794' date='Jan 7 2008, 03:47 PM

Any advice welcome!

Cheers.
Vibration in the seat is generally caused by rear tire balancing issue, steering wheel the front. I would get a second opinion...
Old 01-15-2008, 12:24 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530i

Originally Posted by seadooxp' post='514794' date='Jan 7 2008, 09:47 PM
Could be the driveshaft, universal joint, or I have seen the coupling on older BMW's cause this problem. Sounds like your getting a good deal if there replacing all of that under warranty.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:54 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Russ1974' post='518275' date='Jan 15 2008, 01:45 PM
The original post said the tyres and wheels have been changed, not sure if you both got bored and stopped reading ... ?!

I've never heard of this before without it being caused by tyres or wheel. Somebody who is good with the search function might be able to find some historical posts with a similar proble, I did a quick search and couldn't see anything obvious.
i did.. i admit to it.. i was just scanning.. sorry bout it.. i feel that even though wheels will be changed, the issue will still occur... here in nyc there are a ton of f'n pot holes... smh... can't really enjoy a good car on a number of roads.