E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Can Replacing Run-Flats Damage Rims?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 03:10 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe that someone posted a YouTube video here of the process for removing and replacing runflats. It looked pretty difficult, and I could not imagine how the wheels were not at least scratched by the process. I could easily see the crowbar-like metal that is pressed on the wheel bending it if too much pressure is applied.

As for vibration, there have been reports that some 19" and 20" tires will shift on certain wheels. I also think that these cars are incredibly sensitive to any imbalance (which is why my replica wheels caused so many problems). If you had the tires rebalanced after they were first put on, you probably eliminated the problem. Then again, road force (high speed) balancing on a Hunter (or similar quality machine) is really the only way to guarantee a true balance.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:48 AM
Senior Members

Run-flats are crap. Unless you get a tiny puncture they won't work properly. If you have an explosion like this:

this is what happens. I also had an explosion on my nct-5 and after rolling for a maximum of 7 km with speeds not more than 60km/h the result was the same as in that video.

Also indeed damage can occur when dismounting the RFs. I am also afraid when i'll change mine in spring. After that i don't even want to hear about RFs.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:51 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by monacobmw' post='380477' date='Jan 19 2007, 04:10 PM
I believe that someone posted a YouTube video here of the process for removing and replacing runflats. It looked pretty difficult, and I could not imagine how the wheels were not at least scratched by the process. I could easily see the crowbar-like metal that is pressed on the wheel bending it if too much pressure is applied.

As for vibration, there have been reports that some 19" and 20" tires will shift on certain wheels. I also think that these cars are incredibly sensitive to any imbalance (which is why my replica wheels caused so many problems). If you had the tires rebalanced after they were first put on, you probably eliminated the problem. Then again, road force (high speed) balancing on a Hunter (or similar quality machine) is really the only way to guarantee a true balance.
Can you point to that youtube video?! I can't find it.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order as of May 6- 2007 530i Titanium Grey and Grey Leather, with Sport Package, Premium Pkg, Cold Pkg. 2006 Porsche Boxster

Originally Posted by monacobmw' post='380477' date='Jan 19 2007, 07:10 AM

If the installation is difficult and the tire guy/gal is inexperienced or just plain stupid they will take the rim and flip it over on the machine. Which then in turn will scratch the crap out of the face. I saw this happen more than once. They will then hide the scratched rim(s) on the passanger side of the car so the driver will not notice until later and think that they hit a curb.

Old 01-19-2007, 06:12 AM
Members

My Ride: Alpine White 2007 550i

Originally Posted by bargamon' post='380401' date='Jan 19 2007, 12:06 AM
You got a real nice car that im sure you paid good money for.

And then you go to costco to mess with Runflats?

I find that dealers are rather not very expensive to do the labor on tires. I have either had tire rack ship the to the dealer. They know the car and rims better than anyone!

Im saving money and getting the job done right.
The counter argument to that is that dealers see a few sets of tires a week, where Costco tire does 100 sets a week and has the best guarantee in the world. Would you rather go to a mechanic who occassionally does the work you need or someone who does it every minute of the day?

Two things for the OP.
1 DiId you watch Costco mount your tires? I think their equipment mounts from the outside of the rim, not the inside, so it would be tough for them to do the damage. I'd go watch them do a set of someone else's tires and see if they are doing something odd.

2 Costco guarantees everything and should replace the wheel IF they damaged it. You have not gone high enough up the chain if you didn't get your money back and a new wheel.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:14 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 520d M-Sport / Silver Grey / Maple Wood / Black Dakota Leather / Heated Comfort Seats / Media Pack With Extended Voice Control / Space Saver Spare Wheel / Sun Protection Glass

A mate of mine has a tyre fitting company close to my local BMW dealer. He does all
their cars. He had to have new equipment to properly remove and fit Runflats! So yes it is possible that Costco bust your rim.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:15 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by nickolas_g' post='380486' date='Jan 19 2007, 08:16 AM
If the installation is difficult and the tire guy/gal is inexperienced or just plain stupid they will take the rim and flip it over on the machine. Which then in turn will scratch the crap out of the face. I saw this happen more than once. They will then hide the scratched rim(s) on the passanger side of the car so the driver will not notice until later and think that they hit a curb.

After all is said and done if you have a experienced guy/gal and the right equipment,Hunter, you won't have any problems with RFT's. JMK BMW replaced 4 RFT's in about 1hr 45 min. without any problems. If you think back how many people posted on this board about having there Dunlop's replaced because of noise by there BMW dealer and to the best of my recollection nobody mentioned any thing about damaged rims.IMO Costco is just not the place to go to save a few bucks and have to pay for it later. Good luck
cheers
vern
Old 01-19-2007, 06:45 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

Further to my earlier post:

I now have two brand new (hopefully round) wheels on the back of my car, courtesy of the Dealers.

I also have a puncture!!! A 4 inch nail.

The RPA didn't alarm because the tyre wasn't losing pressure. It's frightening to think of the speeds I have been doing recently, probably with the nail in the tyre.

Being of a miserable disposition, I didn't want to pay Dealer prices, and also I didn't want a new RFT as I want to go to "proper" tyres. The Dealer wanted GBP195 for one tyre (a Dunlop) and my local Tyre shop is looking for GBP89 for a Pirelli PZero Rosso - a tyre that I have had experience of, and would be happy to fit.

So - a similar price for one RFT or two proper tyres. No contest I think, particularly as the other RFT has only 5mm left on the tread. All I need now is a chocolate-button spare wheel!
Old 01-19-2007, 06:49 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vern' post='380526' date='Jan 19 2007, 10:15 AM
JMK BMW replaced 4 RFT's in about 1hr 45 min. without any problems. If you think back how many people posted on this board about having there Dunlop's replaced because of noise by there BMW dealer and to the best of my recollection nobody mentioned any thing about damaged rims.
vern

My dealer did scratch my rims as they do not ahve the proper equipmment. I found this out a bit too late. I finally go them to tell me what they do with the Uber expensive cars as I figured a scrathed weel wasn't goint to fly on a 760 or Z8... anyway they send those jobs out to a another local shop. Come to find out they do the wheel and tire work for the ferrires and the like around here. So I now will go directly to the specialy shop for wheel/tire work and bypass the dealer.

FYI for the pacific northwest folks
Tru-line Frame and Wheel
http://www.trulineseattle.com/