E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Can Replacing Run-Flats Damage Rims?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007 | 02:36 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

A few weeks ago I had my run-flats removed and replaced them with Michellin PS2s at Costco. I noticed the service guy was having a tough time removing the run-flats and asked what's the problem. He told me that they are a pain in the ass to remove and they take much more effort and time to remove as opposed to regular tires. After the car was finished I entered a major highway and as soon as I hit 65 mph I felt a vibration coming from the front. The next day I took the car back to Costco and they re-balanced all four tires. As soon as I got back on the highway, I had the same problem. I then waited till after the holidays and took the car back yet again. This time the service tech called me in to show me that the right front rim had a small bend on the inner side. I told him I never had a problem with any kind of vibration before they touched the car. He said it was impossible for this to happen from the work that they did. My question is could this have happened buy them? I am 100% sure I had no vibrations before they touched the car, this is one thing I would immediately notice.
Old 01-18-2007 | 02:53 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

Originally Posted by katheikia' post='380293' date='Jan 18 2007, 11:36 PM
A few weeks ago I had my run-flats removed and replaced them with Michellin PS2s at Costco. I noticed the service guy was having a tough time removing the run-flats and asked what's the problem. He told me that they are a pain in the ass to remove and they take much more effort and time to remove as opposed to regular tires. After the car was finished I entered a major highway and as soon as I hit 65 mph I felt a vibration coming from the front. The next day I took the car back to Costco and they re-balanced all four tires. As soon as I got back on the highway, I had the same problem. I then waited till after the holidays and took the car back yet again. This time the service tech called me in to show me that the right front rim had a small bend on the inner side. I told him I never had a problem with any kind of vibration before they touched the car. He said it was impossible for this to happen from the work that they did. My question is could this have happened buy them? I am 100% sure I had no vibrations before they touched the car, this is one thing I would immediately notice.
If you read the forums, it seems to be happening to quite a few people.
Tyre fitters need special equipment (and expertise) to work with run-flats and it is highly likely that the guy damaged your rim.
Many of them here are refusing to even work with RFTs because they are such a pain.
You might have a hard job proving that they did that damage but I think you should persevere.

Good luck!
Old 01-18-2007 | 03:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i SGM Steptronic Dinan CAI Dinan TB GTech Pro RR

Sorry to hear about your problem. I believe it almost certainly happened as you describe. I recently had Blizzaks installed on my 124's, replacing the stock RFT's for winter use. I used the Tire Rack's approved installer locally. After 1.5 hours of waiting, they had swapped only ONE tire. They cited the extreme difficulty in dismounting the RFT's due to the shallowness of the wheel, sidewall stiffness of the RFT's, etc.......they didn't charge me but did scratch the wheel in the process. I then took my car (with one Blizzak and 3 RFT's) across the street to Discount Tire. They took care of the other three wheels, but dinged the other rear wheel in the process.

Bottom line: I called the Tire Rack and complained. They directed me to a local shop that uses only Hunter equipment for tire installations, the same as they do. This doesn't help you now but it does validate your suspicions that these RFT's are extremely difficult to deal with and that wheel damage is common.

Good luck.
Old 01-18-2007 | 03:47 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550, Sport, Navi, PS, CWP, Sirius

Originally Posted by katheikia' post='380293' date='Jan 18 2007, 06:36 PM
I cannot imagine that a small bend would cause noticeable vibration. Most likely one or more of the tires causing it.
Old 01-18-2007 | 04:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

I had a recent wheel crack from a pot hole. When I went to have it replaced (new wheel and tire), it took 2 guys to get the old tire off the old wheel, just so they could get at the tire pressure monitors. And it took a LONG time for them to just get that tire off. Maybe a half hour for one wheel. They were digging those crow-bars into my old wheel like there was no tomorrow. They definitely did that to your wheel. No doubt about it. I'm sorry to hear about that. Hopefully, they will make it right for you.
Old 01-18-2007 | 04:01 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like to propose another point of view...

I have RFT's and also have a small bend on the lip of one of my front rims. I do not feel any vibration. I attribute this to the extra stiff sidewall of the tire maintain its round shape.

So I'd have to say there is not real way of knowing when the bend happened unless they pointed it out during the original dismount.
Old 01-18-2007 | 05:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

The inside bend is slight but it bends for about 8 inches...I dont think I can do anything about it with costco, its my word against theres, so I will have it repaired at the dealer for around $75.00...This kind of crap always happens to me, its never easy...
Old 01-18-2007 | 06:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order as of May 6- 2007 530i Titanium Grey and Grey Leather, with Sport Package, Premium Pkg, Cold Pkg. 2006 Porsche Boxster

I have two points to make here.

The first is changing tires is a hard job. Especially our small profile tires that we have and the RFTs. With this said my first job was working in a gas station that was well respected gas and service station in the area. While there I was amazed at the unethical actions of the owner there. This guy's mechanics destroyed many many tires and rims without the owners being any wiser. I would often contact the owners after the fact if I could.

Second I ran into a SA that had left my local BMW dealer who said the rims are really soft and prone to damage. He said to always be as careful as possible.
Old 01-18-2007 | 08:06 PM
Members

Originally Posted by katheikia' post='380293' date='Jan 18 2007, 06:36 PM
You got a real nice car that im sure you paid good money for.

And then you go to costco to mess with Runflats?

I find that dealers are rather not very expensive to do the labor on tires. I have either had tire rack ship the to the dealer. They know the car and rims better than anyone!

Im saving money and getting the job done right.
Old 01-18-2007 | 10:34 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

My experience is similar yours, katheikia. I can't prove it either, although I am in a slightly better position than you.
I bought my AUC 530d in November, and on the way home I too noticed a vibration at between 65 and 80mph. I assumed that it was a rear wheel out of balance, and didn't worry too much about it until I was passing my local tyre fitter in December, and decided to have the rears balanced. They duly took off the wheels and disappeared with them to the workshop, only to return a few minutes later, shaking heads and saying that they cannot balance wheels that aren't round!! The result is that I have two rear rims that have flats on them, on the inside edge. With a bit of thought I realised that the only way that it could happen was by poor tyre fitment. I complained to my dealer, citing safety concerns etc. He was good enough to stump up for two new wheels, which, by coincidence, are going to be fitted today!

So, the moral of the story is, when you throw away the RFT's, be very careful where you go.

Quick Reply: Can Replacing Run-Flats Damage Rims?