E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Can only get a maximum of 13 CIP updates?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 04:34 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

I was at the dealer today trying to prove to a tech that I had car vibrations when accelerating from a stop but he tried to tell me it was normal and that SMG isnt as smooth as a steptronic etc etc etc... I've been drivng this car for a while I know whats normal and whats not... but thats besiedes the point. So since he didnt think anything was wrong I asked him maybe he should just update to a new CIP so I can hope it clears the problem but then he said he didnt want to because theres a maximum of 13 times that we can update the CIP. Anyone heard of this??

If he made it up why? and why 13? why not make up a smaller number it might scare me better. If its 13 I dont care I'm willing to take that risk of having 1 less possible update. My engine vibration has me worried more than a max number of 13 CIP upgrades...
Old 01-16-2006, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

There's been many mentions about a maximum number of upgrades that the car can take. I've never heard anything to dispute it and it's come up enough times for me to believe that somewhere there is a limit. It makes no sense to me why they would do such a thing, however. All I know is that I don't think I'll be hitting any maximums during my three years of ownership...
Old 01-17-2006, 01:42 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='225198' date='Jan 17 2006, 01:34 AM
I was at the dealer today trying to prove to a tech that I had car vibrations when accelerating from a stop but he tried to tell me it was normal and that SMG isnt as smooth as a steptronic etc etc etc... I've been drivng this car for a while I know whats normal and whats not... but thats besiedes the point. So since he didnt think anything was wrong I asked him maybe he should just update to a new CIP so I can hope it clears the problem but then he said he didnt want to because theres a maximum of 13 times that we can update the CIP. Anyone heard of this??

If he made it up why? and why 13? why not make up a smaller number it might scare me better. If its 13 I dont care I'm willing to take that risk of having 1 less possible update. My engine vibration has me worried more than a max number of 13 CIP upgrades...
So that's about 1 year of standard development!!!!
Old 01-17-2006, 02:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by colejl' post='225313

[/quote]
So true, but only if u actually INSTALL them Unless I have a problem that I really need a specific CIP upgrade for I just wait for them to settle down and accumulate fixes. You'll remember several upgrades introduced problems we did not have before, such as the eyebrow lights not lighting, or others that escape right now. Rather than rush into an upgrade I watch for the reports as tehy become installed. I've been on 16.1 since May and will now be getting 20.xx in about 10 days due to my VR going dead - which BTW I belive to be the CCC, but dealer could not find a fault.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:52 AM
Senior Members

perfectly normal ! my dealer told me i could only have 3 donuts each time i visit , so i see no problem why they wont let you have more than13 software updates !
Old 01-17-2006, 05:03 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by cobradav' post='225321
Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='225198' date='Jan 17 2006, 01:34 AM

So true, but only if u actually INSTALL them Unless I have a problem that I really need a specific CIP upgrade for I just wait for them to settle down and accumulate fixes. You'll remember several upgrades introduced problems we did not have before, such as the eyebrow lights not lighting, or others that escape right now. Rather than rush into an upgrade I watch for the reports as tehy become installed. I've been on 16.1 since May and will now be getting 20.xx in about 10 days due to my VR going dead - which BTW I belive to be the CCC, but dealer could not find a fault.
[/quote]
True, but I do seem to be racking my way thru' the updates! v20 due on mine soon...
Old 01-17-2006, 05:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

I just had cip 20 installed in my car and was provided a copy of the summary report that is printed after the update.

It specifically lists the number of additional updates that can be performed for each of the major control units in the vehicle.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:01 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Can you post the report? (sanitize it, if you need to...)
Old 01-17-2006, 06:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='225363' date='Jan 17 2006, 08:01 AM
Here you go Rudy. It shows the Status before and after the update in separate reports. The measures plan shows what will be done and lists the number of additional times the particular control unit can be programmed.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by ademitt' post='225374
Here you go Rudy. It shows the Status before and after the update in separate reports. The measures plan shows what will be done and lists the number of additional times the particular control unit can be programmed.
[/quote]

Wow... so its true... I guess the Eraseable Programmable Memory really does have only 13 tires...

Quick Reply: Can only get a maximum of 13 CIP updates?