E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Can I replace Dunlop SP Sport 01 DSST with not run flat?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008 | 10:11 AM
Senior Members

I have been wanting to get a new set of aftermarket wheel and tires even since I got my CPO 2005 545i in March.

From my understanding the OEM DUNLOP SP SPORT 01 is run flat, but how come I still get a small spare tire in the trunk unlike the 2006 330i I had which doesn't? Will I get error message all the time if I replaced them with aftermarket 19x8.5 wheels and no run flat tires?

I have the sport package with staggered 18" set up. I am thinking to get the BREYTON with 19x8.5 and the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position 245/35ZR19 93W XL 400AA all around(front and rear). The only reason I plan to do this way is I can drive the car with these ultra high performance A/S tires during the winter if there's light snows. It also allow me to rotate the tires since they are the same size. My only concern other than the BREYTON wheels are not as strong as OZ/BBS which easy to bend is that the rear might look a little bit strange. Or maybe I will need to add spacers?

Please let me know what do you guys think about this set up.

Kevin
2005 545i
Auto, Sport package, Premium Sound, Cold package, Navi, V1-Hardwired, 3M 50% tint
Supersprint exhaust (will receive in 7 days)
Sprint Booster (first unit defected, waiting for another new unit)
Items in my garage and waiting to be installed: K&N filter, Philips 6000k D2S, LED angel eyes, OEM sport padels, M5 Footrest
Old 04-24-2008 | 10:29 AM
Contributors

Double check those tires. They may be directional which would put the kibosh on your plan. Also, you will lose the aggressive stance you get with a staggerred setup regardless of going up in size. I highly suggest NOT doing this and when upgrading, especially on a car with sport package, be sure to go with a staggerred setup as it will most certainly accentuate the sporty aggressive characteristic of the car which is what we all love about it to begin with. Just my 2 cents.

All the best
Old 04-24-2008 | 11:49 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by poleposition' post='567241' date='Apr 24 2008, 02:29 PM
Double check those tires. They may be directional which would put the kibosh on your plan. Also, you will lose the aggressive stance you get with a staggerred setup regardless of going up in size. I highly suggest NOT doing this and when upgrading, especially on a car with sport package, be sure to go with a staggerred setup as it will most certainly accentuate the sporty aggressive characteristic of the car which is what we all love about it to begin with. Just my 2 cents.

All the best
I'd love to go staggered if I live in California or Florida, but here in New Jersey/New York, I have to consider that the wheels might bend very soon and then will cause the vibrations on the steering wheel and messed up the brakes.... If to staggered, the rear tire size will be 275/30/19 which will be too low to protect the wheels.

I had the sport package on my e39 540i 6 speed in 17" staggered, but then I go with 18" HAMANN HM2 all around with 245/40/18. The rear did not look too bad and still look pretty aggressive.

What do you think?
Old 04-24-2008 | 11:57 AM
Contributors

Nice looking E39. I had 2 of them as well and until this 550, they were my 2nd favorite BMW's I've owned. As far as the staggerred vs. the non-staggerred, I too live here in the tristate area and I've had 20's on several cars. There is definitely more potential for damage but for me, the presence of these cars with staggerred 20's is worth the risk. The aggressive sporty nature of these cars when sitting with a staggerred setup is arguably one of the baddest looks one can achieve. Just my opinion. We'll get plenty of responses I'm sure. This is not to say you're taking the wrong approach, you just have different priorities than I do.
Old 04-24-2008 | 11:59 AM
Contributors

And Kevin, whatever you decide, do it before June 14th so we can check it out at the meet

All the best
Old 04-24-2008 | 12:18 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by poleposition' post='567312' date='Apr 24 2008, 03:59 PM
And Kevin, whatever you decide, do it before June 14th so we can check it out at the meet

All the best
That's what I am trying to do. Will purchase the ACS roof spoiler and M5 trunk spoiler this week and have all the stuffs in my garage put on the car either this week or next week. So I can have everything all set for the June meeting.

I want to have the same HAMANN HM2 wheels in 19 but thought why not get a new look and try the BREYTON Flame. The only thing I need to decide is whether go all around or staggered. Forget to mention, tirerack have the 19x8.5 flame on sale for only $189 each!!

[img]https://www.tirerack.com/images/wheels/breyton/swap/breyton_flame_bs_ci3_l.jpg[img]
Old 04-24-2008 | 12:19 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by k Wang' post='567329' date='Apr 24 2008, 04:18 PM
That's what I am trying to do. Will purchase the ACS roof spoiler and M5 trunk spoiler this week and have all the stuffs in my garage put on the car either this week or next week. So I can have everything all set for the June meeting.

I want to have the same HAMANN HM2 wheels in 19 but thought why not get a new look and try the BREYTON Flame. The only thing I need to decide is whether go all around or staggered. Forget to mention, tirerack have the 19x8.5 flame on sale for only $189 each!!

[img]https://www.tirerack.com/images/wheels/breyton/swap/breyton_flame_bs_ci3_l.jpg[img]

Old 04-24-2008 | 12:29 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by k Wang' post='567331' date='Apr 24 2008, 04:19 PM

This is the response I got from tirerack regarding all around and staggered setup

ADVANTAGE - You can rotate your tires. Longer tire wear.

Disadvantage - Because the tire in the rear is narrower you will have a
little more tendency to go into an oversteer situation under very hard
cornering. It should be a big issue for a normal driver.
Old 04-24-2008 | 12:53 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by poleposition' post='567308' date='Apr 24 2008, 03:57 PM
Nice looking E39. I had 2 of them as well and until this 550, they were my 2nd favorite BMW's I've owned. As far as the staggerred vs. the non-staggerred, I too live here in the tristate area and I've had 20's on several cars. There is definitely more potential for damage but for me, the presence of these cars with staggerred 20's is worth the risk. The aggressive sporty nature of these cars when sitting with a staggerred setup is arguably one of the baddest looks one can achieve. Just my opinion. We'll get plenty of responses I'm sure. This is not to say you're taking the wrong approach, you just have different priorities than I do.
I just told by tirerack that MODIFICATIONTO THE REAR FENDER LIP WILL BE NECESSARY TO PROVIDE CLEARANCE FOR THE
TIRE if I decide to go staggered with the FLAME model wheel. The FLAME model wheels do not require spacers.

Well, I do not like to roll my rear fenders especially I did not even lowered my car. Hate to have tire rubbing issue as it was a nightmare when I had the Lexus with the MOMO arrow wheels...

For now, more towards all around setting.....still thinking..... getlost.gif