E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Can I get my MP3's not to play in alphabetical order?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 01:05 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 550i delivery end of Feb. 2006 Jet Black| Black Interior| Sports Package| Manual | Cold Weather| Comfort Access| Sun Shades| Premium Sound Package | Sat. Radio| M Aero Kit | Rear Spoiler

I've tried to burn MP3's a few different way's so that it will not show up in alphabetical order in the i-drive screen. If I'm in the burning software and I change the order of the songs when I put it in my cd player in my car it put's them in order. I know I can choose "random order" for the play list but I don't like it that way (I'm being picky). I want to be able to pop the cd in and have all the songs be mixed in the order I chose when I made the cd. I use Roxio and Nero. Any ideas??/
Old 03-19-2006, 01:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

I'm not sure if BMWs MP3 player supports this as my car cannot play MP3s but like the Dell DJ or Apple's iPod you can change the track number and it will follow the track number order. Like if I played the album of that artist it will follow the track number order and not in alphabetical order.
Attached Thumbnails Can I get my MP3's not to play in alphabetical order?-mp3.jpg  
Old 03-20-2006, 01:53 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: (E60) 535D M-Sport (DMS)

Originally Posted by Toni' post='257379' date='Mar 19 2006, 05:05 PM
I've tried to burn MP3's a few different way's so that it will not show up in alphabetical order in the i-drive screen. If I'm in the burning software and I change the order of the songs when I put it in my cd player in my car it put's them in order. I know I can choose "random order" for the play list but I don't like it that way (I'm being picky). I want to be able to pop the cd in and have all the songs be mixed in the order I chose when I made the cd. I use Roxio and Nero. Any ideas??/
Try using iTunes of you can.

Set up a Playlist & then choose the order of the tracks before burning.

I used file size as the random selector before buring the disc, however if you add the tracks to the playlist in the order you want to play them & then select when the file was added as the selector before burning the disc, you can have them burnt, so then played in the order you wish.
Old 03-20-2006, 03:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Also using iTUnes and just made my first CD with folders arranged by artist, album title and then by original song order from source CD. To do that you use the instructions givin in this post #12 in this thread:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?show...1306&hl=iTunes

I suppose once you had your playlist sorted in this manner you could then resort the songs within an album in any order you prefer. I did not try.

ALso you should be aware you could create DVDs with 4.5GB of MP3s or even go to DVD-DL for 8+GB of MP3s to play in the NAV slot. I tried it as a test only just to see if it worked. It did. I believe on another thread that I saw a max of 255 files before the system may not recognize the remaining files. I have no need for such a large set up. I will stay with CD version to interchange with other vehicles in my garage. Too many sources of entertainment now
Old 03-20-2006, 05:44 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 530d SE. Silver, grey leather, auto.

Just put the numbers at the start of the track names and they'll play in that order. So instead of having them titled "track a" "track b" and "track c", which would play in that order, have them titled "1 track b" "2 track c" "3 track a" etc, and you can then order them however you like.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:08 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by cobradav' post='257592' date='Mar 20 2006, 07:24 AM
Also using iTUnes and just made my first CD with folders arranged by artist, album title and then by original song order from source CD. To do that you use the instructions givin in this post #12 in this thread:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?show...1306&hl=iTunes

I suppose once you had your playlist sorted in this manner you could then resort the songs within an album in any order you prefer. I did not try.

ALso you should be aware you could create DVDs with 4.5GB of MP3s or even go to DVD-DL for 8+GB of MP3s to play in the NAV slot. I tried it as a test only just to see if it worked. It did. I believe on another thread that I saw a max of 255 files before the system may not recognize the remaining files. I have no need for such a large set up. I will stay with CD version to interchange with other vehicles in my garage. Too many sources of entertainment now
cobradav,

Are you saying that the CD player will play an MP3 encoded DVD in that drive?

Tom
Old 03-20-2006, 08:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by twh' post='257659' date='Mar 20 2006, 11:08 AM
cobradav,

Are you saying that the CD player will play an MP3 encoded DVD in that drive?

Tom
No, what I said was you can play it in the NAV slot, which is a DVD drive. Of course this can only apply to those with the second (NAV) DVD slot.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi. Deep green with beige interior. 6 speed manual. Premium package.

Nero alphabatizes the songs
so you have to change the name

so when it shows up on the i drive screen it will look like 001 1 sang name
or you can use letters

but if you are using and do not change the song name, then that is how it will be the order it is burned in
Old 03-20-2006, 11:04 AM
Members

I have a question. Names of songs ect show up for compressed MP3 files on CD But names of songs DO NOT show up when playing a store bought CD. Why is that?
Old 03-20-2006, 12:33 PM
Members

My Ride: 550i delivery end of Feb. 2006 Jet Black| Black Interior| Sports Package| Manual | Cold Weather| Comfort Access| Sun Shades| Premium Sound Package | Sat. Radio| M Aero Kit | Rear Spoiler

Originally Posted by dgjk' post='257698' date='Mar 20 2006, 09:51 AM
Nero alphabatizes the songs
so you have to change the name

so when it shows up on the i drive screen it will look like 001 1 sang name
or you can use letters

but if you are using and do not change the song name, then that is how it will be the order it is burned in
Alright, I'm not sure I follow. If I burn in Nero and I sort the MP3 song list it shows up as all the songs sorted then when I burn and I put it in another computer it still shows the order I had put them in when I burned the cd but, then when I put the cd in my car cd slot it shows them all in alphabetical order??????

Are you saying for the burn list I should put a 1,2,3 etc. next to the song name so it puts them in the order of my numbers?

Quick Reply: Can I get my MP3's not to play in alphabetical order?