E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Can I borrow the BMW 2.0.1 scan tool?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 04:38 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 325i
Default Can I borrow the BMW 2.0.1 scan tool?

I had a e46 previously and purchased the scan tool and messed with the programming to beep and flash lights when locking and did a few other things. After the initial use, I never used it again. I just purchased an e60 and the 2.0.1 tool is almost 90 bucks and I'll only be using it for similar things. I just want the doors to unlock when the car turns off, DRLs, and removing the nag screen.
Just thought there might be someone out there who would be willing to loan it out to me for a week (I'll pay all shipping costs) so that I can code in the few things I'd like to change. If anyone is up for it, I'd really appreciate it.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:36 AM
New Members

Anyone out there feel like helping me out?
Old 01-13-2015, 12:09 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Well the problem is that if you're looking for what I think you're looking for (BMW Standard Tools), you're basically asking someone to ship their laptop with the software and programming cable to a stranger from a message forum. I'm a super easy going guy and very willing to help whenever I can, but there is no way I'd send my stuff to anyone that I didn't know on a firsthand basis, and even then you'd need to be a very good friend or family member.

Not trying to damper your spirit or be a jerk, just being honest. Your best bet is to find someone in your local area to meet up with you and let you use it for an hour or so in exchange for a six-pack of something.

good luck.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:13 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xi w/Sport, Premium, Cold weather. Silver Gray Metallic, Black Dakota leather interior.

Where in Indiana are you at?
Old 01-14-2015, 05:23 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by KyleB
Well the problem is that if you're looking for what I think you're looking for (BMW Standard Tools), you're basically asking someone to ship their laptop with the software and programming cable to a stranger from a message forum. I'm a super easy going guy and very willing to help whenever I can, but there is no way I'd send my stuff to anyone that I didn't know on a firsthand basis, and even then you'd need to be a very good friend or family member.

Not trying to damper your spirit or be a jerk, just being honest. Your best bet is to find someone in your local area to meet up with you and let you use it for an hour or so in exchange for a six-pack of something.

good luck.
My bad, I thought it was just the OBD2 connector like it was with the 1.4.0 scanner. I downloaded the software and used my laptop last time. The scanner is under 100 bucks, which I figured was more likely to find someone to let me borrow it. Why would a whole laptop be needed and not just the scan tool which I could use with my own laptop?

Originally Posted by wcr3d
Where in Indiana are you at?
Near Lafayette, you?
Old 01-14-2015, 06:20 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xi w/Sport, Premium, Cold weather. Silver Gray Metallic, Black Dakota leather interior.

Sorry, I'm in the southern part. I think his point was the tool isn't stand alone. Yes, a laptop is needed, yours or otherwise. Also a lot of people buy the connection and then can't get the software installed.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:08 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BurtonSnol3order
My bad, I thought it was just the OBD2 connector like it was with the 1.4.0 scanner. I downloaded the software and used my laptop last time. The scanner is under 100 bucks, which I figured was more likely to find someone to let me borrow it. Why would a whole laptop be needed and not just the scan tool which I could use with my own laptop?
You need the software. For what you're trying to do, you need INPA and NCSExpert software packages. If you were near me I'd do it for you. I'm sure there's someone near you that can help out, but obviously the trick is going to be finding that person.

I'd seriously consider spending the $100 and getting the proper cable and BMW ST package. It's easily paid for itself 10 times over for me.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:49 PM
New Members

You need the software. For what you're trying to do, you need INPA and NCSExpert software packages. If you were near me I'd do it for you. I'm sure there's someone near you that can help out, but obviously the trick is going to be finding that person.

I'd seriously consider spending the $100 and getting the proper cable and BMW ST package. It's easily paid for itself 10 times over for me.
Alrighty, thanks for the clarification. Where do you recommend the best place to get the cable and software from? Is the software not something you can download for free like it was in the 1.4.0 package used on my old e46?
Old 01-15-2015, 02:42 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BurtonSnol3order
Alrighty, thanks for the clarification. Where do you recommend the best place to get the cable and software from? Is the software not something you can download for free like it was in the 1.4.0 package used on my old e46?
I recommend visiting the classifieds section of this site, there is an unused BM Technic package on there now
Old 01-15-2015, 01:50 PM
New Members

I recommend visiting the classifieds section of this site, there is an unused BM Technic package on there now
What is the difference between the black and white cable?

I saw this in the classified thread and it worried me because my car is manufactured after that time.

Originally Posted by biz77
Which cable is this?
Black cable for cars manufactured up to 3/2007
or
White cable for cars manufactured after 3/2007

Quick Reply: Can I borrow the BMW 2.0.1 scan tool?