E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CA Fob vs. Non-CA Fob?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 01:33 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed Manual, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Sport Pkg, Lumbar Support

Can you differentiate a Comfort Access (CA) fob from a non-CA fob by looking at it? I just purchased a 2009 w/Comfort Access and only one of the fobs works in CA mode. The other fob only works if I insert it into the ignition lock. The dash shows the missing key symbol if I push the Start button with this fob in the car, but not in the ignition lock. To me, they are indistinguishable.

I tried the procedure in the Owner's Manual for a Malfunction of the CA function. Lock/Unlock the doors and insert the fob in the ignition lock. When I removed it, it still didn't work in CA mode.

Are the batteries different since one re-charges in the ignition lock and the other doesn't?

Thanks for any information...
Old 08-10-2012, 02:10 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 550i
Model Year: 06

CA doesn't charge you might need to replace the battery in the non working one.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:26 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2014 535 Alpine White

Replace your battery and it should work.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:51 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' BMW 550i

CA key fob shold have a access panel for battery. It's located oppose side to BMW logo.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:14 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by phlfly
CA key fob shold have a access panel for battery. It's located oppose side to BMW logo.
A picture is worth a 1000 words ... even if it's from the owner's manual
Attached Thumbnails CA Fob vs. Non-CA Fob?-ca-battery.jpg  
Old 08-10-2012, 09:05 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

If you are still under warranty the CA fob batteries are covered under the original 4 yr OEM warranty. If not, the batteries are simple watch batteries CR3220 (I think) available everywhere. Take the fob apart first to verify the battery type. They last about two years depending on your usage.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:50 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530d M Sport Automatic, Le Mans Edition.Le Mans Blue Individual Paint Special, Syrah Blue Individual Leather, Piano Black Individual Interior Trim, Front seat heating,M Double Spoke 172 19

Originally Posted by SilberGrauE60
Can you differentiate a Comfort Access (CA) fob from a non-CA fob by looking at it? I just purchased a 2009 w/Comfort Access and only one of the fobs works in CA mode. The other fob only works if I insert it into the ignition lock. The dash shows the missing key symbol if I push the Start button with this fob in the car, but not in the ignition lock. To me, they are indistinguishable.

I tried the procedure in the Owner's Manual for a Malfunction of the CA function. Lock/Unlock the doors and insert the fob in the ignition lock. When I removed it, it still didn't work in CA mode.

Are the batteries different since one re-charges in the ignition lock and the other doesn't?

Thanks for any information...
Yes,the non-CA fob cannot be opened for battery replacement,the battery is inductively charged when in use.Just replace your battery as shown in the User Handbook.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:38 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i - Sport Package, Sport Transmission, Active Steering, Navigation, Comfort Access, 7 Logic Stereo

Toss a new CR2032 battery in the fob and see if that helps. You can find these at any decent grocery or drug store
Old 08-11-2012, 12:51 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed Manual, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Sport Pkg, Lumbar Support

Thanks for all the replies. It must be a CA fob, because there is a battery cover and it takes a CR2032. Unfortunately, when I put a fresh battery in, it behaved the same. Buttons work, works in the ignition lock, but Comfort Access features don't work. I am still under original warranty, so will bring it up with the dealer.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:31 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

I have found that when dealers replace the missing key which is common with used cars, for some reason they have no idea they are supposed to program the key/car combo so that comfort access works.

My best speculation is the car salesman/ used car manager loses a few more $$ when they have to pay the service dept to do the programming - or the used car guys just dont know enough about the cars.

Quick Reply: CA Fob vs. Non-CA Fob?