E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

A/c warm up time??

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 03:41 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 08 535i stock. wifes car 07 x5 stock

Hello all,
I've been reading this forum ever since I've bought my 08 535i in December. I have tried searching the topic but have not been successful.
As the topic says I'm having trouble with my a/c. What is happening is when I first turn my a/c it is not cold at all. I know it takes a little time to get cold but it doesn't even blow cold at all until I mess win the settings. I have to turn the idrive controls to neutral and then back to cold (blue). Then cycle the air cyle button on and off and then it will start blowing cold. My question is his normal? If I leave it alone it never gets cold. Also if I have the a/c on all the time it stays cold as soon as I turn the car on. But if I shut the a/ c off or have the heater on and then go to turn the a/c on I have to mess with it again. This is very annoying hopefully im just doin something wrong. Thanks in advance for any help.

TiVo
Old 03-08-2011, 04:13 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

What happens if you put on max cold? How about if you just put it on Auto? What is the temperature set to? Maybe the car thinks it is on Auto and needs to warm up the temp inside the cockpit due to the temperature outside.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:42 AM
Contributors

I probably don't have the same heat and humidity as South Texas but on very hot humid NJ days only my rear seat passengers complain about needing better cooling.

Generally I leave the auto-settings at about 70 degrees and I personally find that fiddling a couple of degrees depending on how I'm feeling is all I need to do to stay comfortable.
  • If your AC isn't cranking out cold air from the vents after 2-3 minutes it should be investigated by your BMW Dealer Service Department.
  • If your car stays or feels "muggy" even after 5-10 minutes of operation, it is possible your microfilters need to be changed - they may be constricting the air flow enough to compromise heating and cooling.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:38 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Good one! I forgot about microfilters
Old 03-08-2011, 08:13 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Most likely just a little low on Freon
Old 03-08-2011, 08:31 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by v_therussian
Good one! I forgot about microfilters
Yes, I noticed that right away ... but didn't want to call attention to your "deficiency" ...
Old 03-08-2011, 05:38 PM
Members

My Ride: 08 535i stock. wifes car 07 x5 stock

It still doesn't work right away on max a/c or auto. No matter what I have it set on it still does not get cold until I mess with the settings. This only happens when I go from heat to a/c or no a/c to a/c on. If I previously have the a/c on when I get in the car it starts to blow cold right away. Do you still think I should check the microfilter? Thank you again for the replies.

TiVo
Old 03-08-2011, 06:23 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by Evotivo
It still doesn't work right away on max a/c or auto. No matter what I have it set on it still does not get cold until I mess with the settings. This only happens when I go from heat to a/c or no a/c to a/c on. If I previously have the a/c on when I get in the car it starts to blow cold right away. Do you still think I should check the microfilter? Thank you again for the replies.

TiVo
If you're using the 'in-cabin' air recycling you are not using microfilters...at least that I'm aware of, unless this car is special but the design would make no sense. So if you use that option does your air change?

I've noticed the last few days it takes about another minute or so to start getting cooler. The weather is warming so I'm not really worried.
When I first picked up the vehicle the cooling was not good. It would cycle off and on in like 15 min. intervals. I checked coolant level and it was ok. I topped it off. It was not until I changed the belts that the A/C became normal. Haven't had a problem since.