E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

A/C taking a while to get cold

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 10:05 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 525i
Default A/C taking a while to get cold

I live in California and we started our Summer season maybe a month ago (it's always hot here) but the temperatures really started getting warm recently. My issue is my A/C taking forever to get cold. I turn on max A/C but it doesn't start to get cold until the engine has had a chance to warm up, which usually takes about 5-10 minutes. It sucks driving sweating up a storm before actually getting relief. Anyone else experience this problem? Any suggestions on fixing it or just getting it to get cold quicker?
Old 05-28-2016, 04:57 PM
New Members

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530xiT (E61)
Model Year: 2007

have you performed a pressure check on the high/low side to see what's going on? can you hear the compressor click on/off when you hit the A/C button?
Old 05-28-2016, 05:04 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

E60 uses a swash-plate type compressor (google it). assuming your refrigerant amount is good yours is probably on its way out. I have the same thing going on with my car. I've been just living with it for the past couple of years. I'll replace it once it totally fails. pretty common problem on E60s.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:21 AM
New Members

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i, premium package, 6sp manual, cold package, navigation package.
Model Year: 2005
Engine: N62

You are probably just low on refrigerant. Have that checked first. Running with low refrigerant for a long time is not a good idea and can cause the compressor to fail prematurely even though the system will shut down at low pressures to protect itself.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:45 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by FormerE30Owner
You are probably just low on refrigerant. Have that checked first. Running with low refrigerant for a long time is not a good idea and can cause the compressor to fail prematurely even though the system will shut down at low pressures to protect itself.
unlikely. have been dealing with the same problem with my E60 since I got it. many other E60 owners have had the same problem, new compressors fix it just about every time. google it, you'll see. The system will literally take 5-10 minutes of driving to start cooling. Once it starts, the air gets icy cold and stays that way. like you said, low r134a levels will trigger the low pressure switch and the system will shut down. I would bet good money on this car needing a compressor.

good luck OP, look up swash plate compressor and you'll see how they work. again, not an uncommon problem with E60s as they age. I know a couple of techs at my dealer, and they all said the same thing when I described my problem.

cheers,

CurrentE30Owner
Old 05-29-2016, 11:31 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2005 525i

Thanks for the insight guys. I'll look up the compressor and probably end up replace it. Hopefully it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
Old 05-29-2016, 02:57 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 BMW 535XiT Sport Wagon

Well, shoot, mine does the same . won't blow cold until the engine hits about 165F, I saw somewhere else that it's normal, but you're certain the compressor is on the way out?
Old 05-29-2016, 09:29 PM
New Members

My Ride: 04 545i premium package

Originally Posted by kevesp
I live in California and we started our Summer season maybe a month ago (it's always hot here) but the temperatures really started getting warm recently. My issue is my A/C taking forever to get cold. I turn on max A/C but it doesn't start to get cold until the engine has had a chance to warm up, which usually takes about 5-10 minutes. It sucks driving sweating up a storm before actually getting relief. Anyone else experience this problem? Any suggestions on fixing it or just getting it to get cold quicker?
I don't exactly know which e60 you drive but I had my AC fixed just yesterday and what was wrong with it is interesting.
So I was testing the AC and I realized that the AC pulley and crankshaft pulley are both oily and when I turn the AC on because there is no belt tensioner for the AC on e60 (it uses a stupid stretch belt system.) The belt was slipping on the pulley because it was also an old belt and lost the tension. So all I did was to replace the belt (not me, it needs a special tool) and I get ice cold air instantly regardless of the temp of the engine. BTW I drive a 545i
Old 05-30-2016, 05:37 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by MiniNL
Well, shoot, mine does the same . won't blow cold until the engine hits about 165F, I saw somewhere else that it's normal, but you're certain the compressor is on the way out?
Well no, I'm not certain that's your problem. I've never seen your car! You can check your refrigerant levels, but my guess is they're fine. Swash plate compressor: google it. common problem with E60s as they age.

Originally Posted by siavosh
I don't exactly know which e60 you drive but I had my AC fixed just yesterday and what was wrong with it is interesting.
So I was testing the AC and I realized that the AC pulley and crankshaft pulley are both oily and when I turn the AC on because there is no belt tensioner for the AC on e60 (it uses a stupid stretch belt system.) The belt was slipping on the pulley because it was also an old belt and lost the tension. So all I did was to replace the belt (not me, it needs a special tool) and I get ice cold air instantly regardless of the temp of the engine. BTW I drive a 545i
530i. AFAIK, 545i is the only one that doesn't have a tensioner on the AC belt, and I think BMW put a tensioner on that belt with the updated N62. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 05-30-2016, 06:03 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 BMW 535XiT Sport Wagon

Haha, true. Mine blows cold air when the car has been run a couple (3-4) hours before, but the engine is cold. If it's been sitting in the sun for a day and is hot, it takes until the engine is warm before it starts blowing cold air. Maybe that's normal, most other cars I've owned started blowing cold pretty much right away.

Quick Reply: A/C taking a while to get cold