E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

A/C not cool? Texas heat or issue with the car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 10:49 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 530i | Sport Package | Auburn Interior | Silver Grey Metallic Exterior

hello All

I have read some posts on this but, I want owners from Texas to chime in. Especially owners who leave their car outside during Texas heat. Is it normal for the A/C to take 10-15 mins to cool? Or should it just start blowing cold air? Another thing is that it cools well enough when driving on the highway but when I get to an idle position(stop light) the air then blows warm/weird odor air. It also cools pretty well at night but again when I get to an idle position it blows warm/weird odor air. What does this mean? I am going to a independent German car shop, but I would like to know what I can expect.

thanks
yajimbo
Old 06-06-2011, 05:17 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: I have a 2007 Black Sapphire BMW 530i with SMG. It has the auburn interior, has PDC, Sports Package, Premium Package, rear automatic sunshades with manual side sunshades, 35% black tint, Upgraded angeleyes from Angelibrights, and Logic 7 Sound System
Model Year: 2007

Hey buddy, I am having the same problem...I think the system just needs to be recharged. I am sure there is no leak so it might just be a freon or whatever they use in the BMW that might be low. Good luck!
Old 06-07-2011, 12:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Alpine White Premium package, Sport package, Nav, HUD, PDC

Have you tried changing the settings from heat to cool in idrive? I know this may seem common sense to you but I had no idea how to do it until about a month or two after owning my car. I'm not talking about the temperature dials, but actually in idrive where you adjust the fan speeds for both driver and passenger sides. Make sure the rectangle bars are set to max setting and are blue.

If you already knew this, please disregard.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:46 AM
Members

Mine takes up to a minute to cool. It seems to cool faster if I leave it set to auto. It cools fine at idle. 105 degrees @ 95% humidity has been swampy at best.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:05 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

definitely go deep into the iDrive menu and adjust the temperature settings. my friend has an 04 just like mine and complained about the heat not being warm enough during our Detroit winters (like ur texas summer....its very uncomfy and i hate winters here).

she eventually went deep into the iDrive menu settings for climate and figured out that her heat settings for diver and passenger were set to mild temps....perhaps you have the same issue. make sure its set to be as cold as possible.

one other thing, check you micro filters....they may be clogged or need changing....swapping those out for fresh ones could def help as well especially if they havent been replaced in your 2004...

i hope that helps!
Old 06-07-2011, 10:26 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i, sport pkg, premium sound, sprint booster,

Starting to get hot down here isn't it.

Everyone is spot on for the enviromental controls. Make sure the air is in the cool mode, vent controls for both the driver and passenger side should be set to blow at maximum. When you first get in the car, make sure the recirculation control is not on, then once the cabin starts to cool off, turn it back on to gain full cooling effect. It that doesn't help, it may be time to recharge your A/C system.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:57 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

100 degrees in the afternoon yesterday in Houston, I garage my car luckily. It takes a few minutes of driving around for it to cool down.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:56 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 Jet Black 528i Navigation, heated seats, premium

Same advice as the others: I live in Dallas also, and sometimes it takes about 1-2 minutes for the AC to start working(as though the compressor hasn't come on yet). But, it doesn't take anymore time than that for it to start working. Of course, black car with black leather in Texas, no TINT at all, the car does get extremely hot! The AC works OK, of course it smells bad for the first few minutes, but BMW of Dallas claims that's not the fault of the car - HAH!
Old 06-07-2011, 04:24 PM
Members

No issues with the cooling off of vehicle, however, the car is garaged plus i've made sure the setting are at maximum settig for cooling. I had a similar issue last year but that was because I hadn't correctly adjusted the Idrive to reflect the current weather. Tint does help in extreme summer conditions of central Texas which i'm glad to have.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:35 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rbcook
Same advice as the others: I live in Dallas also, and sometimes it takes about 1-2 minutes for the AC to start working(as though the compressor hasn't come on yet). But, it doesn't take anymore time than that for it to start working. Of course, black car with black leather in Texas, no TINT at all, the car does get extremely hot! The AC works OK, of course it smells bad for the first few minutes, but BMW of Dallas claims that's not the fault of the car - HAH!
dude your nuts get some tint lol

Quick Reply: A/C not cool? Texas heat or issue with the car?