E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying Used E60 Advise

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 11:21 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Looking to purchase E60 550i
Default Buying Used E60 Advise

Hey,
So I'm in the market for a used E60. I'm looking at getting a 550i, manual. I was wondering if anyone could help me out with some things to look for and advise. Such as, reliability of the N62 engine or any other common problems.
My plan is to have the car for a 5 years or more so I'm thinking I should buy with under 70k miles on it. I know generally at 60k you have to lookout for possible brake replacement. At that spec and my price range it would most likely be an 06-07 version.
Thanks.

Edit:
I'm on the East Coast and my purchase radius is about a 250 radius around DC.

Last edited by marauder; 09-10-2013 at 11:22 AM. Reason: forgot info.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:58 PM
New Members

My Ride: 05 545i & 01 316i

Hey -

The N62 can be a reliable platform if properly maintained. The N62's Achilles' Heel is the seals as gaskets. Like the 545i before the 550i (which was based off a differing variant of the N62) heat causes many seals including:

Valve Cover Gaskets
Upper Timing Chain Cover Gaskets
Alternator Bracket Gasket

to wear out around 70-120 and they must be replaced. These can get very expensive and quickly. Now, with the 550i, one of the changes from the 545i to the 550i was the addition of an oil cooling system, which was supposed to help with these issues. However, when you go searching around on here, there are members who have to replace the gaskets with the 550i.

Additional things that you should pay attention to on these cars with this kind of mileage -

Vacuum pump
Alternator
Thermostat
Water pump
Valve Steam seals

The 550i is a great car, that looks fantastic, and is all kinds of fast. They can however be a money-hole if you purchase one that wasn't properly maintained by the previous owner. Also, realise that even if you car was properly maintained, over the course of the next 5 years, it is very very likely you will have to replace all the above if you haven't already. This is just something to bear in mind.

I would definitely take the car to a mechanic other than the dealer you are purchasing it from to get a grasp on what you need to do in the quickness before purchase. If nothing else, you can use it as a way to talk down the price of the car materially.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:01 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2007 550i Sport

I'll add to Gatriels advice. I just bought an 07 550 myself with 73,000 miles. I have the sport package which most 550's have and im assuming you are getting. At this mileage be prepared to replace some suspension components as well. Lower control arms are almost certainly done. I paid $700 parts labor and alignment at my indy who charges $98 an hour labor. Strut mounts are done and cost $500 to replace for both sides. Alternator gasket seal leak is 8 hour labor job, $800. These are pretty common items and expected. Again, these are indy prices. Dealer prices are much higher. Repairs can add up quick on this car and if not maintained will be a money pit.

I suggest you look up the Route 66 Easy Street warranty sold through credit unions.I bought mine 2 weeks ago its 4 years 48,000 miles of bumper to bumper coverage with electronics and idrive coverage. I paid $2250 with $0 deductible. This warranty is very popular with guys who own 3 and 5 series and is a hidden steal. Is it worth it? Lets just say the latter two repairs of the strut mounts and alternator seal paid for by Route 66 today to my indy shop no questions asked. $1300!!!! A guy on bimmerfest had $4,000 worth of work paid for by Route 66 already.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:50 AM
New Members

My Ride: Looking to purchase E60 550i

Gatriel and milellie111 thanks for the advise. I'll definitely, look into how to check those systems for defects and wear. Though when I get to buying the car I'll have a mechanic look at it. The hard part is since there are so few of these available I'm going to have to travel outside of my area and not be able to use my regular trusted mechanic.

I haven't heard much about Route 66 Easy Street, though from what I've heard people say a lot of those are a waste of money, at least the ones on TV. I'll have to check it out. It would be nice to have some sort of warranty/repair system.

milellie111 Yes I'm looking for one with the sport package.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:28 AM
New Members

Sounds like you've got a solid plan.

When I'm searching for used bimmers -- never, ever under any circumstance buy a BMW without the sports package. If nothing else -- it makes eventual resale much cheaper.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:33 AM
New Members

If that warranty covers seals and gaskets it is worth every penny.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:56 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, 6 speed manual
Model Year: 2006

Bought a pristine pre-owned 550i/6sp manual with 48k miles in 2011 with a dealer provided 30 month extended GE bumper-to-bumper warranty. Cost of the warranty at the time was about $2500 with $100 deductible. While they are awesome from a handling and performance perspective, make no mistake about it, these cars are fragile. So far the warranty has covered water pump, active steering module, control arm bushings replacement which I consider a wash from a cost/ benefit standpoint. If you can do better in terms of warranty cost, mileage/time window etc I recommend that you go for it. BTW, handling is nothing short of exceptional with the "Sport Package".
Old 09-11-2013, 05:55 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2007 550i Sport

Originally Posted by Gatriel
If that warranty covers seals and gaskets it is worth every penny.
Yes it does. The warranty is only sold through some credit unions though. They only cover 1,3 and 5 series. No M cars. It is a steal for a 550!! Here is the brochure: https://www.penfed.org/WorkArea/Down...?id=2147484930

Many bimmer guys have nothing but praises about them and they pay. 1 or 2 repairs and the warranty will pay for itself. Like i said, they just paid for my alternator gasket leak. The gasket was cheap but the labor was $800 and they paid for it all!!
Old 09-12-2013, 08:24 AM
Members

bought my 07 550i with 75k on it now have 90k only issue i had was a dripping drain plug on tranny. (had to replace whole pan plastic) learned fast where to buy OEM part for cheap. BMW will rake you thru the coals. parts were $480 with no oil at dealer i paid $300 with new oil and would did pan myself and filled myself the proper way (before anyone tries telling me i can't do it properly). same with batteries and stuff there is always a way around the dealers crap, take your time look thru the forum and you'll get all the answers.

some don't know so they pay thru the nose.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:04 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 545 6 speed

I recently purchased a 2004 545i that now has 182 KM's on it. I had to replace the coolant expansion tank along with the hose that runs from the rad to the expansion tank because it was so brittle from the heat.

My advice is make sure you know where to purchase parts for cheap such as amazon, ebay ETC. You're in the states so parts will be cheaper for you.

Start looking and searching online on how to fix the car otherwise taking it to a dealer or even a mechanic will make your wallet thin.

Quick Reply: Buying Used E60 Advise