E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying rims/tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 08:04 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of all, thanks to all here who helped me decide. ? I was torn between 19?s and 20?s and ordered a set of 20? Miro 111 rims from Michael at Acute Performance. Quick, simple, professional. The rims arrived and were accidently 19?, though. Come to find that 20? in that model isn?t available until June. I called Michael to discuss a couple options and he was very accommodating. Over the next several days I talked to him several times looking for different rim options. I finally decided to mount the 19?s on the car to see how it looked and to make a decision at that point. In the end, I decided to stick with them and Michael quickly came through with his end of the arrangement.

Discount Tire mounted the tires, I drove off and returned right away with a shake. They addressed it and off I went only to have the shake continue. I called them and went back in later in the day to have them address. I left again and the shake was better but not by far, still way worse than my factory bent wheels and not acceptable. A couple days later and they again worked on the wheels, still not fixed. I talked to Michael to get some advice and he mentioned that Discount Tire should road force balance the tires with ?smart balancing? turned OFF. Smart balancing is used to help them save on weights and allows greater tolerances. So back to Discount Tire I went, who have been great and teasing that I should be on the payroll because I have spent so much time there? they rebalanced as instructed and off I went. They aren?t perfect but they are pretty darn close? close enough that I will live with it and be happy with it.

Michael was great to work with. He acknowledged the mistake up front and offered solutions that were perfectly acceptable and was patient as I looked for new rim options. On top of all of this, I called various forum vendors to get pricing and he easily beat the closest competitor out of the box. If you are considering rims, save yourself some time and give him a call!

These are 19's on stock sport suspension.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:09 AM
Members

My Ride: 550i M SPORT - 6 SPEED MANUAL

Wheels look SICK bro! Love the Miros 111.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:57 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d carbon black m-kit panoramaroof with beige nasca interior and wood trim. 172m rims. DimSport Race, SB, SAT

sounds like a lot of trouble and an unsatisfactory outcome; so a little hard to understand you are actually inviting others to go the same route?

Wheels do look good though and 19" is more than plenty. It's spot on.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:07 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

If the 19-inch Miro 111 have a center bore size of 72.56 mm, and hubcentric rings are not needed, what was the issue with balancing? Tire imbalance? Technician's inexperience? Equipment in need of proper calibration? Greater tolerance than 1/8 oz or 3.5 g?
Old 05-05-2011, 09:37 AM
Members

I went with Acute because of price. There was a mistake made that ultimately no other vendor would have been able to resolve in a better manner... the rims aren't available in the size I want. Because of the mistake Michael worked with me on a solution with price that compensated for the trouble. I'm saying that even though the path wasn't the best that he is professional and found a way to make me happy given the circumstance. Everyone makes mistakes... he made good business decisions through the mistake that made the consumer side a lot easier to deal with. Hindsight, the 19's are just fine for the look I wanted.

Having said that, the balancing things isn't a him thing. Discount Tire struggled to get it right. In the end they are near perfectly balanced now but it was a challenge getting here. Road force balancing withOUT smart balance is the way to go.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:56 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: 14 550i

Every company makes mistakes. It's easy to give great customer service and be top notch, the hard part and what sets companies apart in my opinion is how they deal with issues that arise. I admitted my mistake and immediately took care of the issue with Andy. There are other vendor(s) on this forum that have a horrible reputation of taking care of issues. I won't say any names but check the vendor feedback section and you'll see what I mean.

Michael
Owner
Acute Performance

Originally Posted by NavarroOne
sounds like a lot of trouble and an unsatisfactory outcome; so a little hard to understand you are actually inviting others to go the same route?

Wheels do look good though and 19" is more than plenty. It's spot on.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:43 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d carbon black m-kit panoramaroof with beige nasca interior and wood trim. 172m rims. DimSport Race, SB, SAT

Hm, as a customer service professional, I can't agree that doing great customer service is an easy feat to achieve consistently (especially not across multiple locations and by hundreds of staff). Moreover, I consider service recovery as an integral part of great customer service and I do agree that companies rarely get that right despite the tremendous loyalty and personal advertising it creates.

But this is not a customer service forum and I take note that you have done excellent service recovery in this instance. Good on you, that is confidence inspiring because, as you say, things can go wrong and what matters most then, is a truly responsive and emphatic service provider.

I understand you can't offhand be blamed for Tire Rack's lack of performance. I can't help but thinking though, that if the new wheels still have an issue after Tire Rack working so hard on balancing them, that it suggests there is something wrong with the wheels - but given the subsequent support from "aharper", I take it the vibration has become truly a non issue!
Old 05-06-2011, 09:17 AM
Members

My Ride: Carbon black m sport package 535xi. Natural brown interior with black diamond trim. Dinan stage 2.

I just bought wheels off of michael and he was extremely patient and helpful. I will buy all of my mods off of him!
Old 05-09-2011, 09:42 PM
New Members

Nice rims. What size are the tires?
Old 05-09-2011, 09:46 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: 14 550i

Discount Tire not TireRack. Big different IMHO. The fact that Discount Tire balanced the wheel using Smart Balance ON just shows me they don't know jack. NEVER EVER EVER have your wheels balanced with Smart Balance on, it's just not the way to go.

Michael
Owner
Acute Performance

Originally Posted by NavarroOne
I understand you can't offhand be blamed for Tire Rack's lack of performance. I can't help but thinking though, that if the new wheels still have an issue after Tire Rack working so hard on balancing them, that it suggests there is something wrong with the wheels - but given the subsequent support from "aharper", I take it the vibration has become truly a non issue!

Quick Reply: Buying rims/tires