E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Buying a 545i Today...

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 02:05 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i Sport

You MUST put it up on a lift.

You MUST remove the undercarriage panels and inspect for leaks and worn bushings.

If you can't do this, then pay somebody to do it for you. It MUST be done.

Also, you MUST obtain a Carfax and then track down where the car has lived. Call the local BMW dealers that serviced the car and see what has been done to it.

God be with you, and may he have blessed you with a thick wallet.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:33 AM
New Members

My Ride: Non - BMW (Looking to buy one.)

Thanks for all the advice guys... Just an update. I went and took a look at the car. The guy had a lot of receipts for work that was recently done. When I asked about the coolant transfer tube he said his car didnt neet it. Of course I walked. He wanted 14K and and the car had 107K miles on it.

Incidentally I found a 2004 6-Speed with 90K he wants 12K which seems pretty reasonable.
He's done all the coolant issues and the car has 4 new tires.

What do you guys think?
Old 06-18-2013, 05:53 AM
New Members

My Ride: 04 530i

I would ride that trans hard during the test drive. HIT the highway.

IMO the biggest issue the the 545's.

12k isnt bad but if you were at a dealer you could prob get that down to 11.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:56 AM
New Members

My Ride: 545

Make sure it is the actual coolant pipe that has the issues and not just some hoses !!! Also take a close look for leaks (around alternator,valve covers,ect...) Also take cover panels from undercarriage and look up for any oil dripping down . Take the car for a good test drive and just not down the block as that will not tell you much .
Old 06-18-2013, 06:18 AM
New Members

My Ride: 545

Do you have any pics of her ? Is it a private sale or dealer ?
Old 06-18-2013, 10:35 AM
Members

You found a six speed? I have one of those and it will come with the sport package as standard.

If you are buying a 545i the manual tranny is the way to go. Those are very hard to find.

Regardless of what the pre purchase inspection says, I would change coolant, differential oil, manual gearbox oil, cabin filters, air filter, plugs if you can do them your self, at the very least up delivery of the car.

If you have not had the water pump or tensioner pulley replaced yet on that car I would get it done as well.

Do a compression and leak down test as well as part of the pre purchase.

You will love that manual 545i. I do.

Last edited by squidzilla; 06-18-2013 at 10:36 AM. Reason: cuz
Old 06-19-2013, 03:32 AM
New Members

My Ride: 04 530i

given how many problems the autos have, i wish i had a manual to avoid the knocking and lag shifts etc.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:46 AM
New Members

My Ride: Non - BMW (Looking to buy one.)

Originally Posted by squidzilla
You found a six speed? I have one of those and it will come with the sport package as standard.

If you are buying a 545i the manual tranny is the way to go. Those are very hard to find.

Regardless of what the pre purchase inspection says, I would change coolant, differential oil, manual gearbox oil, cabin filters, air filter, plugs if you can do them your self, at the very least up delivery of the car.

If you have not had the water pump or tensioner pulley replaced yet on that car I would get it done as well.

Do a compression and leak down test as well as part of the pre purchase.

You will love that manual 545i. I do.
Where's best place to pick up all this stuff?
Old 07-16-2013, 02:49 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 545 6 speed

Hey guys without starting a new thread.

2004 BMW 5-Series Sport Package Sedan - Markham / York Region Cars For Sale - Kijiji Markham / York Region Canada.

I'm interested in the above car. I've read through the threads about the cooling system, O rings, water pump etc.

What are your thoughts on the car? I'm going to check it out on the weekend hopefully. I'll get a car fax
Old 07-16-2013, 06:06 PM
New Members

My Ride: M5 SMG
Model Year: 2006

This is a high risk/high reward purchase, definitely not for the faint of heart. I actually got mine from a guy on Ebay. After emailing/calling him a few times, I found that he was meticulous, and the car was truly a garage queen. I probably should of done an inspection, but at only $13K, I decided to push forward. I'm glad that I did. I have upgraded the suspension with Eibach/Koni FSD and new control arms (easy work for DIY), and the result is amazing. Powerful, crisp, and a whole lot of luxury. The Logic 7 sound system is the best sound system (of any kind) I have owned, and the active steering handles better than my e36 m3. The only negative is city gas mileage (17). Just be sure to get the Bentley manuals. Well worth it. Good luck!

Last edited by johnbennett103; 07-16-2013 at 06:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Buying a 545i Today...