E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Buying a 545i Today...

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 06:37 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Non - BMW (Looking to buy one.)
Default Buying a 545i Today...

Hi Guys.

I'm looking at buying a 2005 545i and wanted to know if you guys could give me a checklist to go over when I go look at the car. It has 99k miles on it now.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:55 AM
New Members

My Ride: 04 530i
Red face couple things...

my boss drives this car.... i drive the 6cyl

please be very careful to check for transmission rough shifts... esp when coming to a stop.

you'll want to do this NOT in sport mode. AKA regular drive mode. he knows people who have had theirs replaced anywhere between 87k and 117k because of excessive knock going from 3rd to 2nd, or shift issues on the highway.

sport mode should expect some vibrant shifts. but if you're getting the rough knocking in regular drive, I'd be very careful.

check for valve cover gasket leaks, trans pan drip, and seems obvious but check the A/C.

rear windows up down? no one ever checks that..

rev to 4k at idle, feel for vibration

check bmw assist if important to you, i am going through the process of having it turned back on in mine because the previous owner let it lapse and trust me it is a huge PITA when it comes to TCU reinitialization.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Oh boy, where to start?

Coolant transfer pipe (hidden - but expensive)
Coolant hose replacements (including the brittle transfer tube that runs from the bottle, across the top of the radiator)
Valve cover gasket leaks
Alternator problems
Restraint system warnings
Transmission issues as mentioned by Ibredefe
Control arms
Valve stem leaks (let idle for about 5-10 minutes hot, then smash the gas and watch for a smoke cloud)
Old 06-13-2013, 10:07 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2014 535 Alpine White

The most important thing is to get service history, see what has been done to the car, the motor in the 545i is prone to oil leaks.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:17 AM
Members

suspension bushings are messing up my budget right now...

wen you test drive it, make sure it rolls smoooooooooooth as butter, if not, bushings need replacing...
Old 06-13-2013, 01:06 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2005

unless you're getting a killer deal then go for it, otherwise, stay away.

As all of the above has been mentioned already, they are mostly hidden cost you might not be able to detect today, but the will creep up on you.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:39 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i

here is what I got serviced recently...

1-Oil Pressure Switch
2-Vacuum pump O ring
3-lower and upper radiator hoses
4-Aux Fan switch
5-Aux water pump
6-Valve cover sealing ring (2 of them)
7-Crankcase Vent valve (2 of them)
8-crankcase hose set (cold climate)
9-One vacuum pump
10-Alternator seal

So be ware!!

I still love my 2004 545i, i wish I could find manual 6 speed though, would buy one in a heartbeat.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:36 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2005 530i

All I can say is, Good Luck. Have your money pit ready!
Old 06-13-2013, 08:23 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i

With any car you buy, not just BMW, you need to maintain it...end of story!
In third world countries they are able to make a 1960's fiat work like a champ because they have no choice but to keep it running.
So don't fear, buy what ever car you want, you just have to service your car as required.

Last edited by Shlooky; 06-13-2013 at 08:30 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:06 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Shlooky
With any car you buy, not just BMW, you need to maintain it...end of story!
In third world countries they are able to make a 1960's fiat work like a champ because they have no choice but to keep it running.
So don't fear, buy what ever car you want, you just have to service your car as required.
well said

Quick Reply: Buying a 545i Today...