E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Buying 08 BMW 535i with high mileage

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 06:01 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 328 XI
Default Buying 08 BMW 535i with high mileage

I got a good deal on 2008 BMW 535i with mileage 95k. It has all service records well maintained by CPO. But CPO will end this December or when 100k.

Any recommendation on buying this car or I should stay away since I will have headaches after 100k? I've heard horror stories about 35i cars in general because of turbos. I wont buy another warranty on it because it will cost me at least 3k on top of the price. I might also consider BMW 528i as another option.

I need your expertise please specially from 535i high mileage owners
Old 09-13-2013, 08:19 AM
Members

528i will not get your heart pumping.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:31 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by paul-g
528i will not get your heart pumping.
It also won't leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere with a dead HPFP.

OP, any 35i with that kind of mileage on it is going to be a bit of a gamble. Feelin' lucky?

good luck with your car search.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:59 AM
New Members

My Ride: '06 550i, '07 335i, '97 750iL, '93 525i

Originally Posted by KyleB
It also won't leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere with a dead HPFP.

OP, any 35i with that kind of mileage on it is going to be a bit of a gamble. Feelin' lucky?

good luck with your car search.
More than likely any 35i with 90k on it has already had the high pressure fuel pump issue addressed. Particularly if the car was certified pre-owned. OP, I wouldn't worry much about it. If you can get a good deal on the car, pull the trigger.

However, if it were me I'd be looking for a V8 550i. You get more power and more torque. And to be honest, a V8 just suits the E60 better than an inline 6--even if it is twin turbo-charged.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:51 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by Gator335i
More than likely any 35i with 90k on it has already had the high pressure fuel pump issue addressed. Particularly if the car was certified pre-owned. OP, I wouldn't worry much about it. If you can get a good deal on the car, pull the trigger.

However, if it were me I'd be looking for a V8 550i. You get more power and more torque. And to be honest, a V8 just suits the E60 better than an inline 6--even if it is twin turbo-charged.
I find V8 is too big for it. It is also not fuel efficient as it is in 535i.

The owner has changed HPFP fuel injectors and DME. Original water pump though. Is there anything else I should be worry about it. I was pulling the trigger on 528i since it is less problematic but I find this 535i and it has done all the common problem changes.

I am getting it for 15k btw for 08 bmw 535i with 95k it has all the options including HUD, Parking distance, sport package..etc

Any advice before going for it. I don't mind the 528i but I cannot find a nice with with all options.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:03 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 530I
Model Year: 530i

That sounds like a very good deal! Have a mechanic check it out and if everything looks acceptable, take it.

As for insurance, can you buy the extended warranty, drive the car for about a couple months and see how things go; and cancel it to get your pro-rated premium?

Good luck!
Originally Posted by nebrou
I find V8 is too big for it. It is also not fuel efficient as it is in 535i.

The owner has changed HPFP fuel injectors and DME. Original water pump though. Is there anything else I should be worry about it. I was pulling the trigger on 528i since it is less problematic but I find this 535i and it has done all the common problem changes.

I am getting it for 15k btw for 08 bmw 535i with 95k it has all the options including HUD, Parking distance, sport package..etc

Any advice before going for it. I don't mind the 528i but I cannot find a nice with with all options.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:44 PM
New Members

BMW 535i riders who have high mileage. Did any one experience any problem when you reach above 100k? If previous only changed HPFP (2012) and fuel injectors. What are the chances that I will have problem again with fuel injectors? Are new fuel injectors permenant fix or still under test by BMW?

I need more replies as I am pulling a trigger on 15k car guys.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:07 PM
New Members

Pump !
Old 09-13-2013, 04:56 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3

Originally Posted by nebrou
BMW 535i riders who have high mileage. Did any one experience any problem when you reach above 100k? If previous only changed HPFP (2012) and fuel injectors. What are the chances that I will have problem again with fuel injectors? Are new fuel injectors permenant fix or still under test by BMW?

I need more replies as I am pulling a trigger on 15k car guys.
If your hpfp was changed in 2012 you should have the newer designed hpfp. There has been a significant decrease in hpfp failure chatter out there and the newly designed unit seems to be working good. I have that hpfp and I've put on a hard driven 22k miles on it this year and its doing good. The newest injector was released in feb of this year. If your injectors were replaced prior to that you have the older ones, iirc part #261, and the new ones do not work with the old ones. So if one fails you will have to replace all six and have them coded into the dme. The water pump will fail most likely sooner then later if it is original. The electric water pumps usually last 70k-105k miles. If its a dealer ask them to replace before you buy, of course if they are serious to sell. If the title is clean, no accidents and they can provide the service history of the vehicle, I'd buy it if it is a fully loaded model. Maybe look into a Route 66 warranty if you really want to pay it forward and cya later on. I'm not going to lie the car is temperamental however I know I caused some of the issues with tuning it aggressively. So far I've had all 6 injectors, oil housing gaskets, charge pipe, lpfp sensor, fuel tank sensors, and turbos replaced this past year. Likely this was all covered under BMW warranty. But damn the car is fast.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:46 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by Booyaazaa
If your hpfp was changed in 2012 you should have the newer designed hpfp. There has been a significant decrease in hpfp failure chatter out there and the newly designed unit seems to be working good. I have that hpfp and I've put on a hard driven 22k miles on it this year and its doing good. The newest injector was released in feb of this year. If your injectors were replaced prior to that you have the older ones, iirc part #261, and the new ones do not work with the old ones. So if one fails you will have to replace all six and have them coded into the dme. The water pump will fail most likely sooner then later if it is original. The electric water pumps usually last 70k-105k miles. If its a dealer ask them to replace before you buy, of course if they are serious to sell. If the title is clean, no accidents and they can provide the service history of the vehicle, I'd buy it if it is a fully loaded model. Maybe look into a Route 66 warranty if you really want to pay it forward and cya later on. I'm not going to lie the car is temperamental however I know I caused some of the issues with tuning it aggressively. So far I've had all 6 injectors, oil housing gaskets, charge pipe, lpfp sensor, fuel tank sensors, and turbos replaced this past year. Likely this was all covered under BMW warranty. But damn the car is fast.
Wow you made all these changes under warranty? Did you have to do it again after replacing? I mean the previous owner did most of replacement but wondering if I would still see these problems. I wont buy warranty that's why I am asking. I will be doing DIY for easy things but not sure if I can do big things.

Quick Reply: Buying 08 BMW 535i with high mileage