E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

But The Sun Was In My Eyes

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 09:26 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530i-

While leaving my mother-in-law's house this past weekend, I put it in reverse, looked in my mirror and all I saw was a light pole behind me. I didn't pay attention to the PDC screaming at me and hit a F*&%ing tree. Just lightly but enough to scratch my bumper. Is there any good way to remove scratches from bumpers? What a rookie mistake.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:59 PM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

A friend of mine bought a new toyota 'people carrier' with rear parking sensors.

After a few weeks he became very reliant on it, so as he reveresed into a parking space at work he was reassusred that the parking sensors in the rear bumper were silent............................................ .................................................. .................................................. ........................until the branch of the nearby tree 1.5 metres above the ground crashed through his rear screen............................................ .....................

The tree is forever known as Andy's tree.

Old 03-20-2006, 11:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

The PDC is their to aid you with parking, you can't rely on it gotta have use some parking skills too.

But so sorry to hear another bumper got scratch.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:39 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 520d M-sport - Steptronic - Carbon Black - Auburn Leather - Mem Seat - Cup Holders - Nav Pro - Light Pack - Dim/folding mirrors - Adv Airco - PDC - Aux/in - Non-smoke pack - De-badged - Delivery Mar 31, 2006

Originally Posted by Mark Romero' post='257942' date='Mar 21 2006, 01:26 AM
While leaving my mother-in-law's house this past weekend, I put it in reverse, looked in my mirror and all I saw was a light pole behind me. I didn't pay attention to the PDC screaming at me and hit a F*&%ing tree. Just lightly but enough to scratch my bumper. Is there any good way to remove scratches from bumpers? What a rookie mistake.
If scratches are deep in the paint, you may need to have it professionally polished. A small job that is not that costly.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:16 AM
Senior Members

Sorry to hear that.

Do you have some pics of the scratch?
Old 03-21-2006, 03:27 AM
Contributors

I wonder what you will do to your car without them

Best of luck getting it repair.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

A detailer can remove small scratches that cannot be felt with one's fingernail. This tact will cost you some clear coat. The only other option is to repaint. The first option is the better one.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:31 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine White/Biege 545i, CWP, Nav, Active Steering, Auto Step ordered 2/1/05

While leaving my mother-in-law's house this past weekend
I thought that good things should happen after you leave your M-I-Ls house NOT

Seriously, depends on how deep the scratches are. You may be better off to replace the bumper, though. ~$650 if insurance covers it.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Sorry to hear

But I suppose you know believe when the PDC sensors warns you.
And look also at the iDrive.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:33 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 530i-

Yeah, I didn't pay attention to the PDC. But the sun was in my eyes through the rear view mirror and blocked out that tree. Haha. Seriously. Guess I'll just live with it or ask the dealer the next time I'm in. Of course my wife had to bring it up 4 times in less than half an hour on the drive home.

Quick Reply: But The Sun Was In My Eyes