E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Burning mp3 to Dual Layer DVD - DVD-DL

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 10:51 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 530d M Sport, Alpine White, 2006, Australian
Model Year: 2005

Hi All,

Well, I've searched the forum and even PM'd a couple of people ... but to no avail. I want to burn my mp3 music onto DVD-DL and here's my question:

Should I use +R or -R dual layer discs? Does it matter? Do both work?

I've got music working using CD+R and DVD-R ... just want to know what media to buy for dual layer burning.

Cheers

virgil.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:18 PM
Members

My Ride: 2009 535xi, short shifter, no CDV

MP3 to dual DVD.... That will be TONs of songs. Single layer DVD already contains too many songs.... I don't see why you want to do this. It will be hard to find the song you wan to listen. Also by mention DVD, I assume you are pulling DVD MAP disc and use that to play MP3. Why don't you just use the CD player and burn MP3 to it. Some people saying that CD player don't play MP3, at least this is not true in my e60. The CD player above the NAV map DVD plays MP3 just fine. 600+ songs per CD, it is more then enough for me.

BTW, I never try, but I guess DVD-R dual layer should working. That what normally using for people who burn/clone their map DVD.

Originally Posted by virgil' post='1015552' date='Sep 23 2009, 11:51 PM
Hi All,

Well, I've searched the forum and even PM'd a couple of people ... but to no avail. I want to burn my mp3 music onto DVD-DL and here's my question:

Should I use +R or -R dual layer discs? Does it matter? Do both work?

I've got music working using CD+R and DVD-R ... just want to know what media to buy for dual layer burning.

Cheers

virgil.
Old 09-24-2009, 04:40 PM
Members

Originally Posted by krusir' post='1015558' date='Sep 24 2009, 05:18 PM
MP3 to dual DVD.... That will be TONs of songs. Yup! Single layer DVD already contains too many songs.... I don't see why you want to do this. What???? Too many is a "relative" thing. I have around 70GB of music!!! That's NOT too many songs for me ... It will be hard to find the song you wan to listen. Nope!!! What can I say? I love music!!! Also by mention DVD, I assume you are pulling DVD MAP disc and use that to play MP3. Yup!!! I don't use NAV much! Why don't you just use the CD player and burn MP3 to it. Because the CD player only plays CD!!! Some people saying that CD player don't play MP3, at least this is not true in my e60. The in-dash CD player will play mp3 ... if the car software is not new enough it can easily be updated. CD stacker does not play mp3. The CD player above the NAV map DVD plays MP3 just fine. Yup!!! ... but it won't play a DVD! 600+ songs per CD, it is more then enough for me. Huh? 600 songs on a CD? How do you do that? My music is all mp3 ... 128KBs to 320KBs ... average file size is arond 6MB. My math is not great, but on a 700MB CD that equals around 115 songs - 8-10 albums ... you might want to check your math ... ... On a standard DVD (4.7G I would get around 7700 songs. On a DVD-DL I would get 14,000 songs. As I said before, I've got around 70GB of music ... I could fit that on 9-10 DVD-DL disks ... an easy way to carry all my music. Also, I use the NAV once a month or so ... it would be put to better use as an mp3 player.

BTW, I never try, but I guess DVD-R dual layer should working. That what normally using for people who burn/clone their map DVD.
Well, no one is telling me ... so I'm going to try a single DVD-DL-R (because I know that a single layer DVD-R works) and report back ...
Old 09-24-2009, 04:42 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i

Originally Posted by virgil' post='1016312' date='Sep 24 2009, 05:40 PM
Well, no one is telling me ... so I'm going to try a single DVD-DL-R (because I know that a single layer DVD-R works) and report back ...
it really doesn't matter. as long as the drive/player can read DL's.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:09 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by virgil' post='1016312' date='Sep 25 2009, 01:40 AM
Holy crap that must have taken ages to edit i agree i've around 50 gig of music but im limited to 16 g on my iphone that uses the radio transmiter in the car and it works a treat
Old 09-24-2009, 05:17 PM
Members

Hi Risler,

Good point about the Iphone ... but I'm not a fan because:

1. I've tried two radio transmitters ... one (a cheapie) couldn't set to an unused frequency ... the other only had 2 out of the nine channels free ... and it seems a few other drivers around were using the same product as I would frequently get interference;

2. I like to select the music through Icontrol and see the titles on screen ... selecting music on the Iphone whilst driving is an offence in Australia ... but doing so through Icontrol is not ....
Old 09-24-2009, 07:36 PM
Members

My Ride: 2009 535xi, short shifter, no CDV

Sorry about my math. Yes, each song is about 3 to 6 MBs.... If average is 4MB, it will be about 170 songs per CD .. I actually don't use that in dash CD player too much. I have USB/iPhone option. I usually use 4G USB key to store MP3s in e60. Have about 3 to 4 keys each with different flavor of songs....

I tried to limit the size of each KEY .... Not sure how big KEY it supports? Anyone try bigger KEY then 4G? I don't like to many directory structures in the song list. Maybe I listen to Chinese songs in most of time ... The head unit just display garbage all the time because it can not show Chinese. So I don't like too many songs in a single disk/usb_key.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:09 PM
Members

Update: I've now made 2 DVD-DL +R disks and neither of them work in my car.

Both were made using Nero 9. The first was using Nero Burning with the settings that I normally use for an MP3 CD or DVD-R. The second was made using the "Jukebox" option in SmartStart. On both occasions I received "Error reading file" in the car. I could scroll through only half of the folder structure, which leads me to believe one of two things:

Either:

1. The in-dash DVD does not play dual layer media;

or

2. It only works with DVD-DL -R discs. To test this, I'm going to try with a -R disc later this week.

In the meantime, any other experiences ppl have would be appreciated.

Cheers

virgil
Old 10-12-2009, 04:35 PM
Contributors

Cool

Me still listen to Am radio while driving. go figure it is an age thing.

But I admit, a have a pair DVD with a bunch of mp3 of BLUES and Jazz ...i dont remember last time I heard it though.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:54 PM
Members

It's OK old man ... you stick to the AM radio. I even listen to it sometimes.

Further update: I had left the aforesaid DVD-DL +R in the player. After an hour or so it began playing music part way through the disk. Got through half a dozen songs before I started getting the "Error reading track/file" message again. I can replay the same few tracks without any problem. This is leading me to believe that it might be the brand of disc I'm using (Rytek).

Just picked up a pack of Verbatum DVD-DL -R discs. I'll burn another disc tonight.

Keeping you all posted.

virgil.

Quick Reply: Burning mp3 to Dual Layer DVD - DVD-DL