E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Bumper Install and Removal + Looking to buy new m5tech bumper

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 06:22 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks guys, I will post the info and pics once i am done, how hard is it to take the head lights out, shouldnt be too hard i dont think
Old 04-17-2012, 07:29 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - Steptronic - Logic 7 - Sirius Satellite - CD Changer - Cold Weather Pkg.- Fold Down Rear Seats - Comfort Seats Mods: Dinan CAI - RPI dual intake scoops - Euro AHL Bi-Xenons - LED Angels,
Model Year: 2004

Suggest checking many posts regarding MTech and MStyle (non BMW part) kits. I have pre LCI so not sure if much difference regarding installation problems etc. I had a small independent shop install MStyle front and OEM M5 rear bumper. When I got home, I had to remove half the front bumper to fix the PDC Sensors (parking distance control) as the tabs that hold the sensors in place are not as good as the OEM bumper and the sensors shifted. If they are just a hair out of alignment, then they don't work and you get to hear the loud beep everytime you back up and when you do a system check on the turn signal, you get error until they get fixed. Have had no problems with the rear OEM bumper. I also had to grind the curved plastic arms of the headlight washer covers as the non-BMW bumper didn't align properly for the flaps to open and close properly. So imo go OEM! Get the MTech front bumper as you won't have any problems. The splash shields also fit better with OEM and the Mtech kit has the proper parts to allow the brake cooling vents to remain. Non Oem bumpers do not. Also, be very careful that the body shop is good and can properly paint match. May be best to let them keep your car overnight for that. The body shop I went to removed the tow hook flap for a color match and then when painted and installed the color is a shade or 2 too dark. Especially noticeable in bright sunlight. There is a reason OEM costs more. Moral of the story when you cut corners to save money, something will give.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:41 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 LCI 535SE Auto,Mtech Bodykit and Rear Spoiler, Blufin Chipped, 124 alloys,Space grey, Folding Mirrors, Black leather, Adaptive headlights, Pro nav, Bluetooth,Logic 7,Comfort access, USB, Adaptive Cruise, Lane Departure, Acoustic Solutions DAB, love my car! Retired-2003 530SE, 124 alloys,Titan silver, Black leather, Adaptive headlights, Business nav, Mtech Bodykit & Rear Spoiler,-petrol with LPG

Originally Posted by xx8055NIACxx
not sure if I have adaptive cruise, what is adaptive cruise, is it the one that breaks when the cars in front of you break, hmmm I might have that, will test it tonight.
Yes- adaptive cruise is the one that sees a car in front and slows the car until way is clear, just to be clear- these comments are related to genuine Msport/ Mtech? kit as supplied by BMW, not an aftermarket kit. The brackets look to add approx £30 pounds to cost, the bumper bar if required will be approx £300. Plus there is the issue of having the car apart until you get the bits, or having to dismantle the whole front end again. The LRR also needs setting up(according to BMW) with a laser unit once its all done- I cant confirm this yet as we are still waiting on parts, I'm at the "been put back together until stage"

Another option maybe would be to bin the adaptive sensors and program in standard cruise- not certain if this is viable, as I'm still hoping to get the system up and running
Old 04-18-2012, 01:23 PM
Members

so the consensus here is to go oem, you guys are scaring me.

I just called bmw of seattle, oem m5 bumper they quoted me almost 2 grand.

WTF
Old 04-18-2012, 01:24 PM
Members

Originally Posted by B_Schnell
Suggest checking many posts regarding MTech and MStyle (non BMW part) kits. I have pre LCI so not sure if much difference regarding installation problems etc. I had a small independent shop install MStyle front and OEM M5 rear bumper. When I got home, I had to remove half the front bumper to fix the PDC Sensors (parking distance control) as the tabs that hold the sensors in place are not as good as the OEM bumper and the sensors shifted. If they are just a hair out of alignment, then they don't work and you get to hear the loud beep everytime you back up and when you do a system check on the turn signal, you get error until they get fixed. Have had no problems with the rear OEM bumper. I also had to grind the curved plastic arms of the headlight washer covers as the non-BMW bumper didn't align properly for the flaps to open and close properly. So imo go OEM! Get the MTech front bumper as you won't have any problems. The splash shields also fit better with OEM and the Mtech kit has the proper parts to allow the brake cooling vents to remain. Non Oem bumpers do not. Also, be very careful that the body shop is good and can properly paint match. May be best to let them keep your car overnight for that. The body shop I went to removed the tow hook flap for a color match and then when painted and installed the color is a shade or 2 too dark. Especially noticeable in bright sunlight. There is a reason OEM costs more. Moral of the story when you cut corners to save money, something will give.

I dont have pdc, so dont know if that will be an issue, not sure about the adaptive cruise though, I think I just need to go and trade my car in for an M5 lol
Old 04-24-2012, 02:52 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 LCI 535SE Auto,Mtech Bodykit and Rear Spoiler, Blufin Chipped, 124 alloys,Space grey, Folding Mirrors, Black leather, Adaptive headlights, Pro nav, Bluetooth,Logic 7,Comfort access, USB, Adaptive Cruise, Lane Departure, Acoustic Solutions DAB, love my car! Retired-2003 530SE, 124 alloys,Titan silver, Black leather, Adaptive headlights, Business nav, Mtech Bodykit & Rear Spoiler,-petrol with LPG

Update: id not need new bumper beam, did need mounting bracket for LRR, not for SRR. The sensor does seem to need aligning as have not been able to get it to work, flags up an error when cruise selected. Very few official BMW dealers in UK have the laser equipment required to set it, found one eventually, cost to set up is approx £180. I would guess that no Indes will have so it looks like this is the route I'll have to take. According to Autologic Technical it is not possilble to program the adaptive cruise out. Bottom line- anyone upgrading a car with adaptive cruise will probably have to factor in another couple of 100 £ for this
Old 04-24-2012, 05:31 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Krisbiker2
Update: id not need new bumper beam, did need mounting bracket for LRR, not for SRR. The sensor does seem to need aligning as have not been able to get it to work, flags up an error when cruise selected. Very few official BMW dealers in UK have the laser equipment required to set it, found one eventually, cost to set up is approx £180. I would guess that no Indes will have so it looks like this is the route I'll have to take. According to Autologic Technical it is not possilble to program the adaptive cruise out. Bottom line- anyone upgrading a car with adaptive cruise will probably have to factor in another couple of 100 £ for this
thanks for the update brother, good luck man

this is a sick game we play my friend, money just thrown away but it is what it is