E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Broken rear coil spring (again..)

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 05:10 PM
New Members

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i+BT+AUX+Coding
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by tonyb635
I'm, not so sure that a broken spring is common, or at least I've never experienced one in all of the BMW's that I have had nor any of my friends. I agree with Turboawd there must be a reason. As for your dealer taking two weeks, this sounds a bit long, but you might be quite far from the NA parts facility and then if they have to get this from Europe. As you know, this car is no longer produced and dealers and warehouse try to determine which parts to keep available that are common. I've also seen it where the dealers are no always honest and tell you that the parts have to be special ordered because that seems to sit better with the customer than telling them they have to get in line for the next open repair slot. My guess is the coil brakeage is not that common. If you purchased the car new, then yes, I would be upset as well. But buying a car second hand comes with a lot risks. I was seriously alarmed once when a car salesman told be that the car I was looking at had never been driven in the rain and was always driven by a female. I immediately became suspicious and needless to say I didn't buy the car. I just figured it was a BS sales tactic. With that said, do you REALLY know that this car was lightly driven? I've seen some cars detailed so well they look better than new. To me a super clean car underneath and in places that peoplke don't normally care for would be a big red flag. When you said your car was listing in the rear, was it this way when you purchased it or did happen afterwards?
I have now owned this car for almost two years and know the orig. owner so am familiar enough with its history, car was OK when I purchased it. Springs for BMW cars are an odd thing in that the OEM springs are determined by VIN, which explains why they have apparently come frm Germany.......over engineered stupid I think. First for me in over 50 yrs of driving numerous vehicles that I suffer with this.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:25 PM
New Members

Now it's just getting better, had another look under the car after jacking it up as I decided to start taking thing apart and there is the piece of spring laying on the ground.
Had a look at the other side.....and now I need two springs replaced.........
Did not realize that the springs actually fall past the bottom plate of the strut.
Attached Thumbnails Broken rear coil spring (again..)-img_8931.jpg   Broken rear coil spring (again..)-img_8930.jpg   Broken rear coil spring (again..)-img_8934.jpg  
Old 06-22-2014, 01:50 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by cmyachtie
Now it's just getting better, had another look under the car after jacking it up as I decided to start taking thing apart and there is the piece of spring laying on the ground.
Had a look at the other side.....and now I need two springs replaced.........
Did not realize that the springs actually fall past the bottom plate of the strut.
someone must have changed the rear struts before, and not positioned the springs in the right way.
Old 06-22-2014, 02:28 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by turboawd
someone must have changed the rear struts before, and not positioned the springs in the right way.
I don't think that's the reason but rather that the people that just did my alignment had too much weight added to the car to do the alignment, once the flat part breaks off the bottom of the coil, the springs will push past the bottom plate each time the car hits a good bump I would imagine, that's my WAG.....
Old 06-22-2014, 02:32 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

I don't think that's the reason but rather that the people that just did my alignment had too much weight added to the car to do the alignment, once the flat part breaks off the bottom of the coil, the springs will push past the bottom plate each time the car hits a good bump I would imagine, that's my WAG.....
how much weight could they have possibly added??
look at your struts to see if there is a date code one them possibly.
Old 06-22-2014, 05:04 PM
New Members

Will do when I get them out in the next couple of days, I hope to have some time.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:01 AM
New Members

how much weight could they have possibly added??
look at your struts to see if there is a date code one them possibly.
Maybe the guys doing it got lbs and kg's mixed up?? Wuld that be enough to break both springs??? Just a WAG...
Here's the date code must be the factory shocks.
With this being one of the first E60's, I would as any E60 owner have a good look at the state of my coil springs as they seem to have some weak spots here and there, 90% of the finish is still in great condition. Save for a few fresh scratches from slipping past the strut plate recently.
Attached Thumbnails Broken rear coil spring (again..)-shock-date-code.jpg   Broken rear coil spring (again..)-good-part-powdercoat.jpg   Broken rear coil spring (again..)-rust-culprit.jpg   Broken rear coil spring (again..)-off-car-like-.jpg   Broken rear coil spring (again..)-all-pieces.jpg  

Old 06-25-2014, 05:13 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW E60
Engine: E60 M54

I think your spot on. If the spring isn't properly seated in the upper and lower flange its just a matter of time before the spring is going to cause a problem. You should have also noticed
performance issues with your car related to the side of the car with the F--d up spring.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:28 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Engine: M54

Not the first time I've seen this with BMW. A lot of E46 owners had springs fail too. Spring failure is absurd and should NEVER happen.

This is not an isolated incident, and likely has nothing to do with someone putting the spring in the wrong position. Pour yourself a nice drink and google "bmw broken spring" to see what I mean.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:48 PM
dh1
New Members

My Ride: 05 545i

I am curious what you think the alignment folks did that would stress your springs to failure?

Unless the springs were already damaged by corrosion, you should be able to fully compress the springs without breaking them. That being said, I don't even think it's possible to fully compress the springs while they are installed on the car, as the shock absorbers would bottom out first. Even grossly over-weighting the car would not damage the springs while it's on an alignment rack.

Quick Reply: Broken rear coil spring (again..)