E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Broken navigation

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 05:25 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So about a year ago my son stuck a nickle in my dvd navigation drive and it stopped working. I took it to the dealer and they said they would fi it but the part was back order. So i waited 4 monthss tilll the part came in I went to the dealer and they refused to fix it after they promised to and made me wait. They said they found a nickle in there but they should haer known that before they promised to fix it. It could have been put in after i took it to the dealer ayways is there something I should do? Or whats the easiest way to get a new drive or fix it?
Old 01-27-2009, 11:21 PM
Contributors

Is the nickel still in there?

I have taken so many CD/DVD based devices apart, including the CD player in my E60 and I cannot imagine how the presence of a nickel can detrimentally damage your Nav unit.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:14 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Originally Posted by turbo_mustang12' post='778928' date='Jan 27 2009, 07:25 PM
So about a year ago my son stuck a nickle in my dvd navigation drive and it stopped working. I took it to the dealer and they said they would fi it but the part was back order. So i waited 4 monthss tilll the part came in I went to the dealer and they refused to fix it after they promised to and made me wait. They said they found a nickle in there but they should haer known that before they promised to fix it. It could have been put in after i took it to the dealer ayways is there something I should do? Or whats the easiest way to get a new drive or fix it?
1st thing you need to do is get rid of that kid!!!

I would suggest trying a unit on ebay or something like that before I went out an bought a whole brand new unit. You could take it to an electronics repair shop and see what they say. Seems to me from your story its not your whole Idrive thats down just your nav, maybe the disc reader part is broken only.

GL
Old 01-28-2009, 01:05 PM
Senior Members

Lol. The nickel is not in htere anymore. Yes its just the dvd drive everything else works including my cd player.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:21 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by turbo_mustang12' post='778928' date='Jan 27 2009, 09:25 PM
I don't understand. You said your son stuck the nickle into the drive and then you are trying to claim it could have been put there by someone else?
Old 01-28-2009, 01:40 PM
Senior Members

My son use to always sit in my car and pretend he was driving he was only 2. So when I took it to the dealer they agreed to fix it when i took it back they said they couldnt cause there was a nickle in there. So if they agreed to fix it how would they know if the nickel was in there before they approved to fix it or after thats there fault for not looking into it.