E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brodit / proclip center mount

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 02:50 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 520d M Sport Titanium Silver, 6-speed Manual, new style Start/Stop ignition, Black Dakota Leather, bluetooth, Nav via Tomtom One on a brodit dashmount

First of all a hi to everyone as I am new to this forum after just purchasing a 520d M Sport to replace my mistubishi L200.

The question I have is regarding brodit center mount brackets or I think they are also retailed as proclip usa center mount bracket.

I have bought a tomtom one and instead of using the suction mount provided I have ordered the alternative mount plate that allows you to fasten it to other brackets such as the brodit / proclip mentioned above

The center mount is the one that goes over the center airvent in the car and clips above and below the alu cube or wood trim part of the dash

The main thought I have is regarding what is it like to fit, is it fitted with brute force and does it cause any damage / make the gaps look badly strained and when it comes to removal what is it like to get off without actually causing any damage

Thanks in advance for your opinions
Old 03-06-2006, 02:54 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by cravensmythe' post='250556' date='Mar 6 2006, 11:50 AM
First of all a hi to everyone as I am new to this forum after just purchasing a 520d M Sport to replace my mistubishi L200.

The question I have is regarding brodit center mount brackets or I think they are also retailed as proclip usa center mount bracket.

I have bought a tomtom one and instead of using the suction mount provided I have ordered the alternative mount plate that allows you to fasten it to other brackets such as the brodit / proclip mentioned above

The center mount is the one that goes over the center airvent in the car and clips above and below the alu cube or wood trim part of the dash

The main thought I have is regarding what is it like to fit, is it fitted with brute force and does it cause any damage / make the gaps look badly strained and when it comes to removal what is it like to get off without actually causing any damage

Thanks in advance for your opinions
I've fitted the 'smartclip' angled centre mount version from handnav.co.uk in the same location and it's really easy to mount - no brute force required.

No stretching of the gaps or stress of the trim and it should be OK to move. Only slightly unusal thing is that it has a tiny sticky pad that grips onto the top of the area in front of the idrive screen. When removed this might leave a bit of residue, but should be easily cleaned off.

I've fixed my tom tom palm cradle to it, which was a bit tricky cause I need to screw the cradle to the mount from the rear. I've managed to get a single screw in though and it works well.

I think the location is slightly intrusive in terms of the look of the dash, but it is PERFECTLY positioned for use with SatNav.

I also have the lower console mount for my ipod - again dead easy to fit, this mount looks a bit tidier, but it is also smaller.
Old 03-06-2006, 05:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Welcome to the forums.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:21 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 520d M Sport Titanium Silver, 6-speed Manual, new style Start/Stop ignition, Black Dakota Leather, bluetooth, Nav via Tomtom One on a brodit dashmount

Well I got my brodit clip and up until the point of fitting I had my doubts on what it would be like fitted and I can confirm it is great and the gaps dont appear greatly distorted. Holds my tomtom fantastically!!!
Old 03-15-2006, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Great news! If you can, I'm sure we'd all love to see some pictures of the finished product...
Old 03-15-2006, 09:16 PM
Members

My Ride: '04 545i (10/03) Sport, 6, bk/bk, Premium Sound, Cold Weather, Active Headlights, Tinted Windows, Clear Bra! Winter wheels 'plastic dipped'

Yes! Yes! Pictures, please!
Old 03-16-2006, 12:38 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by cravensmythe' post='255299' date='Mar 15 2006, 09:21 PM
Well I got my brodit clip and up until the point of fitting I had my doubts on what it would be like fitted and I can confirm it is great and the gaps dont appear greatly distorted. Holds my tomtom fantastically!!!
Well done, the brodit clips are top class bits

My tomtom is on a palm tungsten t3 pda, so I an externally cabled gps device. I used velcro to fix this to the top of the proclip (where it is hidden behind the mount) and have coiled the cable up behind the mount until I can be bothered to shorten it.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:34 PM
Members

I will see if I have time to take some pictures in the morning of the bracket as it seems there is a lack of pictures of this bracket fitted in the e60.

My next thing is to get the auxiliary power adapter for the glove box torch socket so that I can plug the tomtom power adapter and only have the smallest amount of cable on show without attacking the wiring of the car