E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Break Squeek

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 12:23 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was in for the first oil change and software upgrade late last week and also reported a brake sqeeeek.

Of course the SA and Tech tried to explain "brake dust buildup" which I did not think was the case. So this past weekend, I removed each rim and thoroughly cleaned (high pressure water and air) each area and am still having the squeek.

Does anyone have any suggestions besides going back to the dealer?

I also recall having a similar problem with my E36 M3 that ultimatley required new pads

P.S. the software upgrade provided the perspective on the NAV and what appears to be a few additional "voice commands."

TIA
Old 10-11-2005, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I'm having a squeak issue as well. I guess it's time to make an appointment...
Old 10-11-2005, 12:38 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Very common with high performance disc brakes. I've had brake squeak issues with a previous BMW, a few Porsches and an E55--there's a product they apply to the brakes which helps. This is generally caused by the rotors becoming glazed--periodically applying the brakes very hard (under safe conditions, of course) will go a long way to preventing this from happening (it grinds off the glazing). Try that before going to dealer.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:21 PM
Members

My Ride: NEW: 2008 535xit, VIP Modular Wheels, KW V3, Prior Design Bodykit, Rotora 12 piston brakes. Custom paint by Platinum VIP. and more to come. OLD: 2004 Jet Black 530i, 20" Iforged Sprints, Rear reflectors, Xenon interior, H&R Springs, Premium Package, Xenon Adaptive headlights

Is the squealing coming from the front right brake? Have you consider that it might be the brake sensor rubbing on the brake rotor?

That is the problem with me e60. When ever I brake it squeals like no other. I have fixed it once before but after 3 months it has come back. So have your SA look at that. Hope that helps
Old 10-11-2005, 01:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: -SOLD- 530i Alpine White. Sport package, comfort seat package, premium sound package, power rear shade, premium package, rear red reflectors, and adaptive headlights with xenon’s

I'm having the same problem with the pass rear. It?s a real light squeaking when the brakes are applied. Sounds like it could be an indicator. The car is going into the shop Friday for an oil change, software update and the squeaking rear brakes. I'll keep you guys posted on the outcome.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Yeah, it's not the usual disc brake squeal (which hasn't been an issue for me through the last three or four BMW's), this is more like something rubbing or dragging on the rotor lightly. The noise is fairly faint and seems to occur under light braking, not heavy braking...
Old 10-11-2005, 01:47 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Bokke' date='Oct 11 2005, 01:23 PM
Was in for the first oil change and software upgrade late last week and also reported a break sqeeeek.

Of course the SA and Tech tried to explain "break dust buildup" which I did not think was the case.? So this past weekend, I removed each rim and thoroughly cleaned (high pressure water and air) each area and am still having the squeek.?

Does anyone have any suggestions besides going back to the dealer?

I also recall having a similar problem with my E36 M3 that ultimatley required new pads?

P.S. the software upgrade provided the perspective on the NAV and what appears to be a few additional "voice commands."

TIA
[snapback]182842[/snapback]
How many miles do you have on your car? If it is relatively new, maybe you just need to re-bed the brake pads.

Is the noise a light whistling/squeaking when the car is being brought to a slow walking pace and eventually to rest? If so, then this is typical of a pad that is just bedding in or has been under used. The remedy might be to re-bed the pads -- ie. go from 60-0 mph with hard breaking 6-10 times consecutively.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:59 PM
Members

This was going to be a very long reply but decided to make it very simple, i gave up on the dealer after he tried a number of "tricks" and finally stated "some brake squeal is normal" - not the kind of solution i had in mind.

I know i will be criticized for this but it works -

I finally tracked the squeal down to the rears. I ended up switching the rear pads, left to right and right to left. That did it. Go ahead and criticize.....

RESULTS.....
....it has been 3 weeks since the fix- i use the brakes regularly, sometimes hard sometimes easy, and guess what?? QUIET, quiet, quite..... I no longer cringe as I slowly roll to a stop. The nice thing about this fix is that my pads will still be BMW so no claims of "aftermarket parts" and void the warranty. One more thing, don't do this if you don't know what you're doing with brakes or a jack. It's not much harder than a pad replacement but there are safety issues with jacking the car up, etc.

1 more thought that i have not tried yet.... I know the dealer will claim the noise to be the brake sensors. If that is true, then one can pull the brake sensor, zip-tie it out of the way, and drive the car around. If the squeal disappears the it must be the sensor. I did not have to try this since my brakes have been silenced. I have more thoughts on what to do with the sensor but i will save that for another time.

If someone could verify, it seems that only 1 wheel on each axle has the brake sensor. Doing the front pads first, i thought i was missing a front sensor but when i got to the rears and found the same thing - then i realized it might be intentional.

As much as i like having a maintanence free warranty, i really enjoyed getting under the car.... and of course, i fixed somthing that the dealer couldn't or wouldn't fix...... it's my quality time with a well built machine.

-mike

PS. now that i've shared this, the brakes are sure to act up ! !
Old 10-12-2005, 05:34 AM
Senior Members

thanks for all the ideas....

I will head back to the dealer armed with great board info

I apologize for incorrect spelling - it's brakes! dump a$$