E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Break-In Period

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 12:34 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi guys, i spoke with the sales manager today and he asked one of the tech guys. he came up with the conclusion is none of the bmw needs to break in except the "m" cars and z8. he told me the instruction in our manuals is for all the 5-series, including the new m5. that made most of us drove like grandmas for the first 1,200 miles ! he also told me we don't need to change oil for the first couple thousand miles. we should wait until the indicator is on. no fixed mileage since the computer will do the math. different driver, different driving habit, different time to go back to the shop. anyone with different opinions/thoughts?
Old 08-12-2004, 01:03 AM
Contributors

I know guy with a new E60 who said his dealer told him a story that all BMW motors are more or less run through their break-in period before the engine's are ever put in the car. Don't know if that is true or not. Anyone?

Anyway taking it easy for awhile seems like a good idea and it gives me a chance to get to know the car.
Old 08-12-2004, 01:22 AM
Senior Members

I know guy with a new E60 who said his dealer told him a story that all BMW motors are more or less run through their break-in period before the engine's are ever put in the car.
never heard of that. learn new things every time i check this forum. this place rocks !
Old 08-12-2004, 02:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

I've seen a movie about the building of an E46 and they were reving the engines of those cars very high. I'm gonna comply with what the manual says. I feel it belongs with owning a new car. In that way I will have longer fun. First the fun of a new car and after 2000 kms the fun of trying it out to it's full potent.

I think it is always better to take it easy with a new car.
Old 08-12-2004, 02:34 AM
Senior Members

I think it is always better to take it easy with a new car.
i agree. but i don't know how long the "good me" is going to be around. the "bad me" is keep telling me to drive faster when there is not much traffic .
Old 08-12-2004, 02:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Hehehe... Okay, I have to admit that the bad me sometimes make me do things the good me would never do!

Lately I've been hearing more and more people say that the materials used in new car engines are so well engineered together that running in isn't neccesary anymore. I don't know what to believe, but just to be sure I will try to hold the bad me down as much as possible
Old 08-12-2004, 03:07 AM
Senior Members

i have about 150 miles to go and the "bad me" is start kicking in. man, i don't know how much longer the "good me" can hold on .
Old 08-12-2004, 03:11 AM
Contributors

only 150 miles??? Do you think it would make a difference if you let the bad you take over a bit??? I don't think the car would suffer if you try it a little bit already!
Old 08-12-2004, 03:21 AM
Senior Members

now not only the "bad me", the "bad you" is joining. we're all getting bad !
Old 08-12-2004, 03:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

The engine is engineered in such a way were you can rev the engine to 2/3
of it's potential - already pretty impressive compared to 10 years ago. This of
course doesn't mean you can go crazy with it from the beginning. The breakin
period is not only for the engine to completely smooth out, but as well for transmission, diff, brakes, tyres ...etc.

RESIST the temptation to floor it. Follow the manual instructons...The engineers
recommendation isn't for fun...these guys make our engines...they are the masters...

I was meticulous with the breakin of all my BMW engines, correct warm up,
watching the rpm. Engines ran always like new...

Vary the speed...a bit of highway...then a bit of local roads, a bit of country roads,
then highway again and so on....it's a nice way to get to know the car.

Remember... as with the lady's : you only get one chance at a nice smooth " break in " > after that.... pound her as fast as you want !!!

Quick Reply: Break-In Period