E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Brand new Honda Accord or used BMW E60?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 09:56 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Take away the sport pack on the E60 and it's really got few if any handling or driveability advantages over the European Accord/US market Acura TSX. Honda/Acura builds well-engineered, solid handling and reliable cars with good well-integrated technology. At the high end, a BMW will always be the better car (perhaps less obviously the better value) but at the price the OP is able to get the Accord, I'd say it's the better buy of the two cars he's considering.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 550i 2007 M-Kit installed- 367 BHP Sapphire black, comfort seats, comfort access, HUD, Professional Nav, Logic 7.

Originally Posted by whizzz' post='1016161' date='Sep 25 2009, 02:08 AM
I want something enjoyable, I love cars so so much. I am in a car everyday, I want to feel great, and I want to look good in it also. The image is important, no doubt. I did some business, and want to look trustful.
Man, you already know the answer to the question the moment came to the E60 forum to ask.

so you said you want something enjoyable and you love cars so much and you want to have the image and feel great...... so guess what .... buy the honda
Old 09-25-2009, 11:08 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530d M Sport Automatic, Le Mans Edition.Le Mans Blue Individual Paint Special, Syrah Blue Individual Leather, Piano Black Individual Interior Trim, Front seat heating,M Double Spoke 172 19

Originally Posted by whizzz' post='1016161' date='Sep 24 2009, 06:08 PM
Hello guys. I am a new member, so let me say hello to all of you and let me introduce a bit.
First of all, I was reading this board for a while, and I can say it is one of the best looking, helpful and honest community I have ever seen. Good work!

Now. I am located in the Center Europe. I am driving 2003 Ford Mondeo ST220 which sux a lot. I hate it every morning in the garage, and I am selling it now after only a few months of ownership. I wanted something sporty etc., but I learn, that this is a bad idea and compromises are not good for me on this point. I decided that I need at least two cars - one daily driver (town, motorways) and one sporty roadster (b-roads, track). Obviously, now I am looking for a new ride (daily one). I had a lot of issues with the Ford, so I want something newer and the warranty should be great. I have around 20 000 EUR budget without the VAX.

My requirements are: limousine (not touring), petrol, automatic gearbox, navi, under 100 000 km on the clock, good condition...

I always loved E60 looks. Personally, I think it's the best looking car ever done by BMW. And I found, that it can be possible with my budget for a used one. 2005+ 530iA model with 260/HP 300 Nm. Polished Jet Black m-tech with light interior, shadow line and tinted windows makes me aroused. Really great combo. But it is not sure, that I can find a car with a warranty - BMW does "Euro+ warranty", which is basicaly 2-year warranty like you get on a new car, but those cars a much more expensive. A friend of mine told me, that really great used cars are impossible to get, because all of them are sold to "people around the source" internally. This is the BMW story. Then, I have a really great deal from one of my friends. He could get a brand new Honda Accord 2.4 v-tec executive for 19 000 EUR (new standard list price is 32 000 EUR). So I have two choices (at least). 2009 car with 0 km on the clock, 3-years international warranty, without any stress what happened with the car in the past, but Honda - OR - 2005 car with about 80 000km on the clock, no warranty (or maybe 2-years), second owner, but BMW.

I have driven the Honda already, and it is a decent car. It looks modern both inside and outside, which is no surprise when it was introduced in 2008 unlike the 2003 BMW (which looks modern still to). Only problem I had with the Honda was, that here in Europe, the 2,4 liter 4-cylinder engine is the top engine we can have. It has 200 HP/220 Nm. I think that in USA is available V6 version know as Acura TSX. But not here. I had 3,0 V6 in my Ford now (220 HP/260 Nm), the car is shit, but the straight jump from my V6 to R4 was bad, and I thought I am driving a chainsaw. I haven't drove E60 yet, one friend has 530dA and this saturday he is going to lend me his car for a test drive, but sadly I cannot find anybody with the 530iA. No dealer has it stock, no friends.

I want to have the car for a two years, and I think I will not do more than 50 000 km during this time. I want something enjoyable, I love cars so so much. I am in a car everyday, I want to feel great, and I want to look good in it also. The image is important, no doubt. I did some business, and want to look trustful.

Maybe it looks silly at the first look, to ask about a Honda on a BMW forum. But I found, that Accord is a quite common word on this board, and also, one guy told me, that after three BMW he want to buy Japanese Mazda, because BMW's are now overpriced and not that good like they were in the past.

I have to try 530iA of course. And I know that the E60 is higher category that Accord, so it is not fair to put them head to head. Because of that, it is not BMW vs. Honda, but used BMW vs. new Honda. My last car, Ford, was a bad choice. Because of that, I am asking you, guys, for your opinions and experience. If you were in my situation, what should you do? Any relevant help/opinions are more than welcome.

Thank you for reading.
This may seem odd coming from a BMW owner ,but if I had to choose between a new discounted Accord and a 80,000km used E60 then I would go for the Honda and get the benefit of the 3 year warranty.During those years,I would save like hell to get a lower mileage E60,or better still,a new one in 3 or 4 years time.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:23 PM
Senior Members

honda accord > almost 5yr old bmw w/ 80k km =(
Old 09-26-2009, 07:08 AM
Members

Never thought I'd be a BMW owner. My car is in the shop now (hit by a deer) and I miss it. I've never missed not having a car. It's fun to drive, comfortable to be in and enjoyable to look at...
Old 09-26-2009, 09:54 AM
Members

Hi guys,

today I drove 2005 E61 530dA M-tech, and 2005 E60 530iA.

My thoughts:

- I am now 100% sure that I don't want the diesel. It is not for me.
- The Diesel car was dead
- The Petrol car was relatively alive, better than my Ford for sure, but not mind blowing
- M-tech looks gorgeous
- M-tech is hard ride, but better than my Ford ST
- Standard suspension on 17" are nice ride, but this car hadn't the dynamic drive option which I think is essential because it was a bit like a boat sometimes
- The Diesel has 150 000 km on the clock and the gearbox felt strange. When I was stopping the car on every red lights, it jerk, petrol car did not do that
- The Petrol has 61 000 km on the clock, and I heard some sort of ticking noise when idling and some harsh noise in top revs
- Some things in the interior are "strange". Like the volume knob, or cup holders. They look like from 1970's

It is very hard to get really into a car, because I had only an 30 minutes behind the wheel on the diesel and 45 minutes on the petrol. I did not feel that special in E60 how I thought it was. Also, I realized that now, when the Accords are rare on the road because they are new, they are more "interesting" on the roads, when they are plenty of E60 everywhere.

By this day, I am probably more into the Accord because all of my feelings, but, every car-related guy is saying to me "BMW/Mercedes/Audi no way anything else". "Honda is good, BUT..."

Damm
Old 09-26-2009, 10:16 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i

Originally Posted by sy1616' post='1016812' date='Sep 25 2009, 09:11 AM
I'm from europe (originally) and wouldn't waste time in a Honda there ...BORING! You have such great highways and not to put a driver's car on one is a sin. A Honda is a tin box with no road feel, weak steering, sloppy suspension, OK brakes, etc. If you we're from NYC and drove there 90% of the time, I'd say go buy a Honda but for you......duh!

Enjoy the E60!
My Honda is actually awesome in everyone one of those categories you mentioned, pretty much beating cars in double it's price range (except for its lack in torque). Yup it's my s2000! That car is a pure driver's sports car and a blast to drive. 240 bhp go cart on the road = woohoo! I have 59k miles on mine and only do routine maintenance and it purrs like the day I bought it.

Honda = peace of mind
BMW = Bling factor with added cost for the bling factor

Seems like you made up your mind, the Accord/TSX (in the US) is still a great entry level luxury car no doubt!
Old 09-26-2009, 10:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i Monaco blue/cream beige, light poplar trim, sport, nav, premium, Logic 7, 6 speed manual My other rides: Departed: 2006 530xi Silver gray/black, anthracite maple trim, cold, sport, nav, premium, Logic 7, 6 speed steptronic, bluetooth, adaptive xenons Departed...2002 525i White/beige, 5 sp manual

Originally Posted by whizzz' post='1017683' date='Sep 26 2009, 12:54 PM
It is very hard to get really into a car, because I had only an 30 minutes behind the wheel on the diesel and 45 minutes on the petrol.
Any chance of renting one so you can spend a little more time behind the wheel? My vote is still for the Accord given your circumstances and the amazing deal you've been offered, but I understand you don't want to make the decision based on so little personal experience with each car.
Old 09-26-2009, 12:54 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Why don't you go all out and get the Hyundai Genesis???
Old 09-26-2009, 03:10 PM
Contributors

IMO the E60 is a big arsed barge, don't get me wrong i like the car its just so large its shite in the corners, my Supercharged S2000 would nail it in every occasion, to me the fiver is bling!! if you want a pocket rocket i'd stay away from the 5 and buy something much lighter, shorter and more able, prob the M3, now that is really a drivers car

Quick Reply: Brand new Honda Accord or used BMW E60?