E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Brand new Honda Accord or used BMW E60?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 09:05 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Titanium Gray 550i, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Sport Package, Shadowline trim, Parking Distance Conrol, Xenon, Adaptive Headlight Control, Navigation System, Satellite

I want to have the car for a two years, and I think I will not do more than 50 000 km during this time. I want something enjoyable, I love cars so so much. I am in a car everyday, I want to feel great, and I want to look good in it also. The image is important, no doubt. I did some business, and want to look trustful.
This statement has BMW written all over it
Old 09-25-2009, 04:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i Monaco blue/cream beige, light poplar trim, sport, nav, premium, Logic 7, 6 speed manual My other rides: Departed: 2006 530xi Silver gray/black, anthracite maple trim, cold, sport, nav, premium, Logic 7, 6 speed steptronic, bluetooth, adaptive xenons Departed...2002 525i White/beige, 5 sp manual

I think the outcome of this thread was predictable
Old 09-25-2009, 05:07 AM
Members

My Ride: 07 525i

Originally Posted by bighersh' post='1016305' date='Sep 24 2009, 08:33 PM
I couldn't agree more... You need look no further than this thread ( https://5series.net/forums/index.php?showto...30&start=30 ) to see how good of an idea it is to buy an E60 with no warranty. If you can get a warranty- a good warranty- Get the E60. You'll love it. If you have a lot if discretionary cash around for failures (that's most likely gonna happen on a used car0, get the BMW.

But, if you want to sleep better at night, and not worry about mechanical issues and high repair costs for the next three years- well, to me- the choice is simple...

The Acura TSX / Euro spec Accord- is a very nice car.

Which option would let you sleep better at night?

Get the Bimmer if you can get a good warranty. But, without a warranty, you're taking a serious gamble buying any used car- especially a BMW (repair costs). Their wouldn't be one in my garage right now, were it not for a rock-solid and affordable warranty.
The post above is a one off problem, a con-rod going through the engine is not a common problem with these cars. There are Hondas which have expensive one off issues also. I have an odyssey and at about 34K just before the warranty expired they had to replace the whole power steering system, pump and rack, total cost -to honda- was around $1800 dollars, apparently this a common problem. I have had more problems with the Odyssey than with the BMW and the van has been treated very well. I would never again buy a Honda but then really thats unfair to Honda as I was probably just unlucky.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:38 AM
Members

Thank you all for your inputs.

Originally Posted by pipper' post='1016197
If you are asking the question here on this forum then you have already made your decision and are asking us to justify it. I have had Accords before (US spec, not Europe) and they are great cars. Just for me (and I'm guessing most members here) there's just something about the E60. Good luck with your decision.
I did not, I am asking the same at Honda forum . The problem is that my heart says BMW and my brain says Honda.

Originally Posted by PAKOGERTE' post='1016337' date='Sep 24 2009, 09:10 PM
if you buy the honda, everytime you see an E60 you'll frown
if you buy the E60, everytime you see an Accord you'll smile
I am afraid of this too
Old 09-25-2009, 06:29 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Why not try a BMW 525i as well. For the money you're looking at, you should find plenty on offer from BMW User Cars, so you also get the warranty. They don't normally offer more than 12 months, but if you want the car for 2 years, then maybe you could negotiate this in to cover your expected duration of ownership.

I know the 530i is tempting, but the 525i may be enough for you and tick more of the other boxes, e.g. lower millage, warrnaty, specs etc.

Good luck
Old 09-25-2009, 07:22 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

my honest opinion is for the peace of mind, go with the accord. Hondas make good cars. However, have u think about getting one car instead and get a newer nicer E60? Unless u have to get 2 cars, then go with the Accord. If you want the BMW, get the BMW as long as you know people who can fix it for a good price just in case anything happens
Old 09-25-2009, 08:11 AM
Senior Members

I'm from europe (originally) and wouldn't waste time in a Honda there ...BORING! You have such great highways and not to put a driver's car on one is a sin. A Honda is a tin box with no road feel, weak steering, sloppy suspension, OK brakes, etc. If you we're from NYC and drove there 90% of the time, I'd say go buy a Honda but for you......duh!

Enjoy the E60!
Old 09-25-2009, 09:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530ix / E60
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by PAKOGERTE' post='1016337' date='Sep 25 2009, 04:10 AM
if you buy the honda, everytime you see an E60 you'll frown
if you buy the E60, everytime you see an Accord you'll smile
+2 That?s it.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:36 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 titanium silver metallic Like new 41k Cold Weather Package

I was in the same situation deciding between a new Passat and the used E60.

I ended up getting the E60 because I had always dreamed of owning a Bimmer and I was finally in a position to addord one, albeit used. I had my car inspected by an independant mechanic and was able to get the full service history.

So far I have been good. If I see it turning into a money pit I will sell it and buy something else.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:52 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Silver BMW 525i, loaded w/o Nav 2007 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer, loaded w/o Nav

Yeah, that's all I was saying. If you want to sleep better at night (peace of mind), get the Honda and the warranty that comes with it.

One off problems can happen with any car- but at least with a warranty, all you'll be is inconvenienced- not strapped to come up with $X,XXX.00 dollars/Euro's if an "oh shit", happens.

Quick Reply: Brand new Honda Accord or used BMW E60?