E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Brand new Honda Accord or used BMW E60?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 04:07 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Out of those two cars, I'd personally take the Honda/Acura TSX. I would not own an E60 out of warranty unless it was a car I had owned from new and was fully aware of its history. It sounds like cost is a concern, as it always is, and you'll have more peace of mind with the Honda. If cost were no object, and the BMW were new (or newer and with a better warranty) then my answer would probably be different - but out of those two, I'd get the Accord/TSX. There's really no additional cachet in a pre-owned BMW over the new car. Get the Honda.
Old 09-24-2009, 04:33 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Silver BMW 525i, loaded w/o Nav 2007 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer, loaded w/o Nav

Originally Posted by swajames' post='1016278' date='Sep 24 2009, 07:07 PM
Out of those two cars, I'd personally take the Honda/Acura TSX. I would not own an E60 out of warranty unless it was a car I had owned from new and was fully aware of its history. It sounds like cost is a concern, as it always is, and you'll have more peace of mind with the Honda. If cost were no object, and the BMW were new (or newer and with a better warranty) then my answer would probably be different - but out of those two, I'd get the Accord/TSX. There's really no additional cachet in a pre-owned BMW over the new car. Get the Honda.
I couldn't agree more... You need look no further than this thread ( https://5series.net/forums/index.php?showto...30&start=30 ) to see how good of an idea it is to buy an E60 with no warranty. If you can get a warranty- a good warranty- Get the E60. You'll love it. If you have a lot if discretionary cash around for failures (that's most likely gonna happen on a used car0, get the BMW.

But, if you want to sleep better at night, and not worry about mechanical issues and high repair costs for the next three years- well, to me- the choice is simple...

The Acura TSX / Euro spec Accord- is a very nice car.

Which option would let you sleep better at night?

Get the Bimmer if you can get a good warranty. But, without a warranty, you're taking a serious gamble buying any used car- especially a BMW (repair costs). Their wouldn't be one in my garage right now, were it not for a rock-solid and affordable warranty.
Old 09-24-2009, 04:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i Monaco blue/cream beige, light poplar trim, sport, nav, premium, Logic 7, 6 speed manual My other rides: Departed: 2006 530xi Silver gray/black, anthracite maple trim, cold, sport, nav, premium, Logic 7, 6 speed steptronic, bluetooth, adaptive xenons Departed...2002 525i White/beige, 5 sp manual

Originally Posted by swajames' post='1016278' date='Sep 24 2009, 07:07 PM
What he said...
Save the difference in cost over the next two years, then resell the Honda (hopefully for something near what you paid, if it's as good a deal as it appears) and then get into a new (or at least certified) BMW.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:05 PM
Contributors

My choice would be a motorway mile crunching E60 and a S2000 for a blast around the country roads
Old 09-24-2009, 05:10 PM
Contributors

if you buy the honda, everytime you see an E60 you'll frown
if you buy the E60, everytime you see an Accord you'll smile
Old 09-24-2009, 05:35 PM
Contributors

Location: Milky Way, Earth, N. America, CA, San Jose, 95136, Latitude N 37� 16.837, Longitude W 121� 50.461
My Ride: 2004 530i | Sapphire Black | Sport | Premium | NAV | Logic 7 | DPE R07 Variant S Gloss Black with Polished Lip 20x8.5 front 20x10 rear | Falken FK452 tires 245/30/20 front 275/30/20 rear | H&R Coilovers | Smoked Tail Lights | M5 trunk spoiler | AC Schnitzer style roof spoiler | HID 8000K headlights & foglights | 35% tint all around | Sprint Booster | Speed Innovation ECU tuning | M5 trunk finisher | M-Tech body kit | Remus Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer style pedals | Euro Stickers | RPi Ram Air Induction | Smoked LED Side Lenses | AC Schnitzer style e-brake handle | AC Schnitzer style shifter | AC Schnitzer style iDrive knob | AC Schnitzer style carbon fiber diffuser | carbon fiber hood/trunk/steering emblems | carbon fiber grilles | carbon fiber door pillars | MTEC v2 Angel Eyes | Hamann style carbon fiber splitter

Originally Posted by PAKOGERTE' post='1016337' date='Sep 24 2009, 06:10 PM
great answer! get the BMW!!
Old 09-24-2009, 06:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i, Sport and Premium package, Titanium Silver with Black Dakota Leather interior

Originally Posted by bighersh' post='1016305' date='Sep 24 2009, 08:33 PM
I couldn't agree more... You need look no further than this thread ( https://5series.net/forums/index.php?showto...30&start=30 ) to see how good of an idea it is to buy an E60 with no warranty. If you can get a warranty- a good warranty- Get the E60. You'll love it. If you have a lot if discretionary cash around for failures (that's most likely gonna happen on a used car0, get the BMW.

But, if you want to sleep better at night, and not worry about mechanical issues and high repair costs for the next three years- well, to me- the choice is simple...

The Acura TSX / Euro spec Accord- is a very nice car.

Which option would let you sleep better at night?

Get the Bimmer if you can get a good warranty. But, without a warranty, you're taking a serious gamble buying any used car- especially a BMW (repair costs). Their wouldn't be one in my garage right now, were it not for a rock-solid and affordable warranty.
If you read these forums..., few if any has seen this happen. This is rare and not the norm. I am sure if you peruse the Honda forums, you will come across a similar story. Shit happens. Buy any car out of warranty, this is the risk you take.

If you do your homework, make a wise choice, and maintain her regularly... an E60 will do you just fine.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:11 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i Sport Package, Black/Grey. Got it July 09.
Model Year: 2004

the euro-spec accord (tsx) is a great car but I've never gotten an adrenaline rush from looking at one... now my e60 on the other hand... she puts a big smile on my face every time I'm walkin toward her... its just too great of a feeling

go with the e60 only if you can maintain it tho (cost wise), if not, wait a little more till you can get one with a great warranty or a new one for that matter and you'll get "the feeling" then too its always there
Old 09-24-2009, 06:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 (01/05 Build) Titanium Silver Metallic 530i, Black Dakota Leather Interior w/Dark Poplar Wood Trim, Cold, Premium & Sport Packages, Steptronic, Bluetooth MODS: OEM 166's (M5 Offset) on General's (245/35 & 275/30), 15mm H&R Spacers, Auxiliary Audio Input, 6000K Xenon Headlights and Matching HID Fogs, AIB v3.0, SprintBooster, OEM LED License Plate Bulbs, Smoked LED Side Markers, Matte Black Kidney Grills

Originally Posted by PAKOGERTE' post='1016337' date='Sep 24 2009, 09:10 PM
+1...Great way to put it
Old 09-24-2009, 07:04 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Silver BMW 525i, loaded w/o Nav 2007 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer, loaded w/o Nav

Originally Posted by rogerj' post='1016376' date='Sep 24 2009, 09:00 PM
If you read these forums..., few if any has seen this happen. This is rare and not the norm. I am sure if you peruse the Honda forums, you will come across a similar story. Shit happens. Buy any car out of warranty, this is the risk you take.

If you do your homework, make a wise choice, and maintain her regularly... an E60 will do you just fine.
I agree - any engine blowing like that is rare. But, fear of engine failure is not the only reason to be worried about a used car purchase, especially a high maintenance chick like these Bimmers.

Personally, I think it's a bad idea to buy any used car, without a warranty. I have a used one- with 60K on it, a 525 just like the one the guy had blow up on him. However, I sleep easy at night for two reasons. 1.) We got the MaxCare Warranty- that covers everything except fair wear & tear items (brakes, bulbs, filters, etc..) for the next 3 years & 36K. 2.) Because I know we're going to maintain her meticulously.

Shit does happen- but- being prepared or protected, takes a lot of the financial sting out of an "oh shit" moment.

That's all I meant.

Originally Posted by PAKOGERTE @ Sep 24 2009' date=' 06:10 PM
Agreed- that was a very cool way of stating his opinion.

Quick Reply: Brand new Honda Accord or used BMW E60?