E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Brake Systems Failure warning

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 11:41 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Please see signature

A week or so back I had a worrying error along with warnings about Brake and Transmission Systems Failure (or something like that) - full screen warning on iDrive and brake warning and gearwheel (transmission) warnings on the instrument panel between speedo and rev counter. The iDrive sreen warning advised driving at moderate speed because the safety systems were non-operational.

It sounded like the ABS/DSC system had failed - thankfully the car still ran and I continued to drive home. I didn't think to turn off and re-start the engine until I got home - and the fault did not reappear.

I called my local BMW service department, and got through to a guy who seemed to think it was nothing to worry about, and told me not to bring the car in unless it happened again.

Today I had the same fault - but this time the car wouldn't start; turning the key did not activate the starter motor. I thought I would be stranded, but after a few tries the engine did start (warning message still on iDrive about Brake System Failure) and I carefully drove home. Just tried the car again tonight, and the problem is gone again.

Questions for the Forum:

a) Is there some way to see the old errors in the iDrive? Surely they're logged somewhere, but can I get at them, or are they only accessible to BMW service?

b) Anyone else had this problem? Is it a common fault (the BMW service guy gave me the impression it was a common "glitch")?

c) Any advice? Should I insist that BMW take a look, run diagnostics or whatever they do?

Thanks,
Old 12-28-2005, 11:47 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by red-max' post='216414' date='Dec 28 2005, 12:41 PM
A week or so back I had a worrying error along with warnings about Brake and Transmission Systems Failure (or something like that) - full screen warning on iDrive and brake warning and gearwheel (transmission) warnings on the instrument panel between speedo and rev counter. The iDrive sreen warning advised driving at moderate speed because the safety systems were non-operational.

It sounded like the ABS/DSC system had failed - thankfully the car still ran and I continued to drive home. I didn't think to turn off and re-start the engine until I got home - and the fault did not reappear.

I called my local BMW service department, and got through to a guy who seemed to think it was nothing to worry about, and told me not to bring the car in unless it happened again.

Today I had the same fault - but this time the car wouldn't start; turning the key did not activate the starter motor. I thought I would be stranded, but after a few tries the engine did start (warning message still on iDrive about Brake System Failure) and I carefully drove home. Just tried the car again tonight, and the problem is gone again.

Questions for the Forum:

a) Is there some way to see the old errors in the iDrive? Surely they're logged somewhere, but can I get at them, or are they only accessible to BMW service?

b) Anyone else had this problem? Is it a common fault (the BMW service guy gave me the impression it was a common "glitch")?

c) Any advice? Should I insist that BMW take a look, run diagnostics or whatever they do?

Thanks,

a) I believe they are logged on the ECU - which the dealer can access for you.

b) Not I.

c) There are few things that I don't mess with when I get a iDrive message (error, or otherwise) -- brake warnings are one of them. While we all want to go faster from 0-60, no one realizes how important it is to go from 60-0. Bottom line? Take it to the dealer and insist they run a diagnostic on your baby.

Good luck.
Old 12-30-2005, 06:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xiT, Silver Gray, Automatic, Navigation, Heads Up Display; Premium Package, Comfort Seats, Logic 7 Sound System 2003 M3, Dakar Yellow, SMG

TAKE IT TO THE DEALER NOW!
Old 12-30-2005, 06:50 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

Originally Posted by Gray Dog' post='217222' date='Dec 30 2005, 10:35 AM
TAKE IT TO THE DEALER NOW!
Hello Grey Dog great to see another enthusiate from richmond on this board. What part of richmond are you from and i just envy the stable of cars you have if it has not been said WELCOME
Old 12-30-2005, 07:05 PM
Members

I had the same thing happen a few months ago, but all systems seem fine and it has not occured since. Who knows?
Old 01-14-2006, 09:43 AM
Contributors

Grey Dog was right - I should have taken it in.

It's been ok for a couple of weeks, but I got the same fault warnings again today - and this time I got some photos:

Brake Systems Failure warning-brake_drive_control_sys_failure_14jan06.jpg

Brake Systems Failure warning-transmission_fault_14jan06.jpg

Needless to say, I'll be booking it in on Monday...
Old 01-15-2006, 12:15 AM
Members

I had exactly this.
It was a vehicle speed sensor that was failing on the rear of the car.
Old 01-15-2006, 01:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

I would assume that is some electrical problem.... some sensor.... as usual, Electrical problem.... the car is just full of cables and electrics so much
Old 02-07-2006, 08:59 AM
Contributors

Update: dealer had the car 2 days for troubleshooting, and replaced a couple of the on-board computer modules.

Hopefully the problem is solved, and as a bonus I got upgraded to I-05-09-510, which if I'm not mistaken is CIP 19.x

All done under warranty.