E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

brake sound

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 10:01 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whenevr i brake, to slow down to standstill, i hear very high pitch sound. Its like metal rubbing.
to me, it's like one of the brake pad is rubbing on rotor (instead of biting), while the other bites hard when braking. I say this is because it's very loud (even with windows up) when car braked til zero speed, especially.
some friends say BMW uses lousy brake material, he suggest I change to carbon brakes to solve the problem, and also it produces less dust and more brake power than stock.

I hesistate to change, as my car is only 1 yr old, and hence brake pads are still new, maybe it has another 30,000km to go...
any advise?
Old 02-08-2010, 10:10 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '08 530i Luxury LCI

Originally Posted by nipetronic
whenevr i brake, to slow down to standstill, i hear very high pitch sound. Its like metal rubbing.
to me, it's like one of the brake pad is rubbing on rotor (instead of biting), while the other bites hard when braking. I say this is because it's very loud (even with windows up) when car braked til zero speed, especially.
some friends say BMW uses lousy brake material, he suggest I change to carbon brakes to solve the problem, and also it produces less dust and more brake power than stock.

I hesistate to change, as my car is only 1 yr old, and hence brake pads are still new, maybe it has another 30,000km to go...
any advise?
You could try a few hard brakes (when the road condition is safe and no other people/traffic is nearby) say 30mph to 0. See if the brake noise will be gone.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:25 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Small Tomato
You could try a few hard brakes (when the road condition is safe and no other people/traffic is nearby) say 30mph to 0. See if the brake noise will be gone.
thks for yr advise, already tried.
sound still exisit, though softer alittle. but after a couple of days of driving, sound comes back.
some friends say maybe some stone or hard particle got stuck in between pads and rotor...
Old 02-08-2010, 11:18 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '08 530i Luxury LCI

thks for yr advise, already tried.
sound still exisit, though softer alittle. but after a couple of days of driving, sound comes back.
some friends say maybe some stone or hard particle got stuck in between pads and rotor...
The clearance between the brake disc and the pad is minimal IMO ...
Why not take the car to a trusted garage to examine further?
Old 02-28-2010, 12:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 330I ZHP

Got pics of the Rotors? It can help tell u what is wrong with it...

-Anthony@BimmerBrakes
Old 03-04-2010, 02:35 PM
Members

My Ride: 530d M Sport Lci

any advise?

I am having the exact same problem had the car for 3 weeks and i first heard it a couple of days ago, I did some hard breaking and breaking while driving, and i thought it stopped, but it did it again today, during the day but not in the evening???

need to see what happens in the morning, did you ever find out what was causing yours?
Old 03-04-2010, 02:52 PM
Contributors

There is nothing to worry about. This is a very common problem for us E60ers. OEM brake pads tend to squeal a lot even after 3month of use. They make noise when stopping and cause a lot of dust.

What you can do is change to ceramic brakes such as : EBC Green Stuff Brake Pads or axxis brake pads. They dont make any noise and cause much less dust on your rims

NB: also try to make sure that the sensor is not warn out. Sometimes the sensor gets damaged when the pads are at their almost finished thus causing that noise.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:12 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

Me dealer also told me this is common for the OEM brakes when (fairly) new. Something to do with the pads and rotor linings/coating, which will eventually dissipate after a few thousand miles. :thumbsdown:
Old 03-05-2010, 12:56 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by e6t.lab.rat
Me dealer also told me this is common for the OEM brakes when (fairly) new. Something to do with the pads and rotor linings/coating, which will eventually dissipate after a few thousand miles. :thumbsdown:
well, I had decided to change my pads to carbon types.
It was said to reduce brake dust and make better braking too.

not going to spend too much finding out the actual cause, but if anyone has some idea of the cause, it sure helps to understand better on our E60.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:59 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Anthony@BimmerBrakes
Got pics of the Rotors? It can help tell u what is wrong with it...

-Anthony@BimmerBrakes

here are my pic of my rotors...not sure if you are able to see clearly, as I took it with my iPhone
brake sound-rotor1.jpg
brake sound-rotor2.jpg

Quick Reply: brake sound