E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Brake sensors

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 06:29 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 550i
Default Brake sensors

What is the best way to wire out the brake pad wear sensors...?
Old 02-27-2014, 06:35 AM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

What do you mean by 'wire-out'? Remove them?
Old 02-27-2014, 07:26 AM
Members

dont need them removed just wired so they stay closed, i think its a normally closed contact then opens when the copper strip on sensor wears through....i keep getting the fault for brake pads... my brake pads are fine... so last week i put on 2 new sensors and tied them up instead of putting in the calipers.... worked for a week.... warning is now back on and will not reset...
Old 02-27-2014, 10:38 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

They shouldn't be giving off false alarms. Something is wrong. If you really want to remove them from the picture, just take them out of the brake pad and wire tie them back to the sensor wire out of the way of any moving parts.

This page has some more info:
https://wiki.bentleypublishers.com/d...W+5+Series+E60
Old 02-27-2014, 01:43 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 528xi (Silver)

Do you mean, you no longer want the sensors to warn you when the pads are worn down? (If you do this, it will mean you'll need to check the pads regularly as BMW pads don't have sqeekers because they work off of a sensor base system, while honda's, toytota's etc work by sqeekers to tell you the brake pads are worn out). The sensor,the way it works is by a wire running inside the sensor, that gets broken when the pads are worn out, becuase the sensor becomes in contact with the rotor causing a break in the sensor. You probally have a issue with the system elsewhere, if you put BMW oem sensors and they didnt remove the error (after ofcourse reseting it). What you can do is cut the sensor WIRE in the middle and youll find 2 wires running inside it, just make it a short circuit and it will tell the computer that the pads are good. (if you need more help, i am here. I tried this, when i got the BRAKE warning and it got the code out right away, but you should be replacing the sensor or finding the issue. I Only did this to check if my new sensor was bad, as it was not OEM)

Last edited by e60rider; 02-27-2014 at 01:46 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:27 PM
Members

Originally Posted by e60rider
do you mean, you no longer want the sensors to warn you when the pads are worn down? (if you do this, it will mean you'll need to check the pads regularly as bmw pads don't have sqeekers because they work off of a sensor base system, while honda's, toytota's etc work by sqeekers to tell you the brake pads are worn out). The sensor,the way it works is by a wire running inside the sensor, that gets broken when the pads are worn out, becuase the sensor becomes in contact with the rotor causing a break in the sensor. You probally have a issue with the system elsewhere, if you put bmw oem sensors and they didnt remove the error (after ofcourse reseting it). What you can do is cut the sensor wire in the middle and youll find 2 wires running inside it, just make it a short circuit and it will tell the computer that the pads are good. (if you need more help, i am here. I tried this, when i got the brake warning and it got the code out right away, but you should be replacing the sensor or finding the issue. I only did this to check if my new sensor was bad, as it was not oem)
did you twist the wires together or just leave the separated?
Old 02-27-2014, 08:17 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 528xi (Silver)

Just twisted them together because it was temporary but you will want to do something that will last longer, also i had a 528xi 2008, probably will not make a difference but just a heads up. Id suggest you try it on your old sensor first (cutting and twisting the wires together), also you might want to check the NEW sensor again and check if the pad is truly worn out, you'll see a little silver part on the sensor (indicating the wire has been cut again due to worn pad) but its better to do the resistance test. Also i believe some cars have sensors on both front (left and right) and did you replace both? or your car just has 1?

Try cutting your old sensor and see if you can reset the light
Light gone = Bad pads
LIght remains = Problem elsewhere or the wire connecting method doesnt work on your car (very rare because of the way the sensor works, connecting the wires together should make the ECU think you have new pads)

Also the way the light took a week to come back, would make me think that the pads are worn out, since it took a little time for the new sensor to grind down and break the connection.

(IMHO if the shorting out of the wiring fixes the code once again, your pads are more than likey bad)

Last edited by e60rider; 02-27-2014 at 08:22 PM.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:48 AM
Members

Originally Posted by e60rider
Just twisted them together because it was temporary but you will want to do something that will last longer, also i had a 528xi 2008, probably will not make a difference but just a heads up. Id suggest you try it on your old sensor first (cutting and twisting the wires together), also you might want to check the NEW sensor again and check if the pad is truly worn out, you'll see a little silver part on the sensor (indicating the wire has been cut again due to worn pad) but its better to do the resistance test. Also i believe some cars have sensors on both front (left and right) and did you replace both? or your car just has 1?

Try cutting your old sensor and see if you can reset the light
Light gone = Bad pads
LIght remains = Problem elsewhere or the wire connecting method doesnt work on your car (very rare because of the way the sensor works, connecting the wires together should make the ECU think you have new pads)

Also the way the light took a week to come back, would make me think that the pads are worn out, since it took a little time for the new sensor to grind down and break the connection.

(IMHO if the shorting out of the wiring fixes the code once again, your pads are more than likely bad)
PADS ARE STILL GOOD, the new sensor didn't grind down because i didn't put them back in the caliper, i tied them up....not sure how it could possibly be showing a fault at this point......have 2 front driver and rear passenger...
Old 02-28-2014, 08:42 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Did you clear the dash brake indicator?

If you cleared it and it has come back and it is a new part, maybe the plug in the wheel well isn't properly seated??