E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Rotors Defect?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 01:07 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW 535i Silver - E60
Default Brake Rotors Defect?

After installation, I drove about 5k miles, my new OEM rotors become just more and more squeaky, making louder and louder noise. At the beginning, I thought it was the body shop didn't apply grease correctly. But now, I am told that noise was simply caused by the rotors.

I purchased both the brake pads and rotors together from someone here, and they should be OEMs. My question is, when an OEM rotor makes such loud noise, should it be considered as defect?

I spent $300 to install all the brake set, since I just can't manually unscrew the caliper screws...way too tight! Now I still can't manually do anything about it...
Old 04-24-2013, 01:09 AM
New Members

My Ride: 05 545i & 01 316i

Call the shop and take the car back. Don't suggest that the products are defective, and let the shop come to its own conclusion.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:00 AM
Contributors

Brake noise, after a complete R&R [pads,discs, etc] can come from a number of sources. Many are directly related to installation; some are associated with pad or disc issues. For openers, some brake shops fail to do the "little things" before slapping on the pads and discs. That includes thoroughly cleaning the disc to remove any oils or protective coating from the manufacturing process. Another is to be sure the pads, have the sharp edged sanded off - if not delivered that way (slight angle cut on the pad edges). And the hardware mounting points thoroughly cleaned and high temp brake lube applied to the sliding surfaces.

There are lots and lots and lots of other details that help assure a good installation, but quite frankly most mechanics just don't do them ... and then they fault the parts when things get noisey. We haven't even touched on proper brake use after installation ... that's another whole topic and I don't have time to write it out here but you can google it if you're interested.

It's probably not to late to have a re-do ... Good luck!
Old 04-24-2013, 06:37 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 550i (Sport, Prem, Nav, Logic7, Comf. Seats) Black on Black

My experience... I have personally performed many brake jobs on many different vehicles and never had a squeal. Important things that many shops do not do.... cleaning everything (on my BMW I almost use 2 cans of brake cleaner per axle.. i am very anal), caliper grease on the correct areas.. (back of pads, pins, all touch points), bedding in the brakes. If these things are done, 99.9% of the time you will not have any squeals. Also, always replace your pads when replacing your rotors.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:12 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

The problem I see with this is, if you brought your own brakes and rotors to the shop to install, I would be totally surprised if there was any kind of warranty. Unless you can clearly point to what is causing it and get them to see it, I would say you are stuck with this issue. The places that I know that will install parts other than they provide make it very clear there is NO warranty and I accept this. If they supply to parts, well then there would be. Now with all of that in mind if I noticed something clearly wrong that the shop did that was causing this, then I would expect them to at least honor their work performed that I paid for.