E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake rotor questions...

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 07:22 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have ~60K miles and it's time for new rotors. I've got a 2004 545i sport.

The only problem I have with the stock rotors is that they rust. However, they have an aluminum hub to reduce weight.

There are aftermarket rotors available like Powerslot, Centric and Stoptech etc. They also offer sloted and cross-drilled versions.

Questions:

Are the aftermarket rotors going to be heavier than the stock rotors?

The cross-drilled and slotted rotors come with a warning NOT to use them while racing. I don't race, at least no now, but this makes me hesitant despite the thought of having "cooler looking rotors".

The Powerslot rotors are sloted and plated, and will look brand new the longest. I have had these on my Impala SS and they did not warp, stopped O.K. but not overly impressive.

I have not experience with Stoptech or Centric, but are they really better than stock? Are they heavier? Will they eventually rust on the O.D. of the rotor?

I wouild appreciate anyone's experience with aftermarket rotors.

Thanks,
Old 12-15-2008, 07:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i w/ Sports & Permium Pkg. Silv/Blk 2008 VW R32 w/Nav. 1992 VW Corrado Silv/Blk-retired 2001 530i Sports/Premium-retired

Originally Posted by Deano' post='745586' date='Dec 15 2008, 11:22 AM
The Powerslot rotors are sloted and plated, and will look brand new the longest. I have had these on my Impala SS and they did not warp, stopped O.K. but not overly impressive.
Car can't start, you got a problem. Car can't stop, you've got a BIG problem.!
Choose wisely.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:32 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Deano' post='745586' date='Dec 15 2008, 11:22 AM
I have ~60K miles and it's time for new rotors. I've got a 2004 545i sport.

The only problem I have with the stock rotors is that they rust. However, they have an aluminum hub to reduce weight.

There are aftermarket rotors available like Powerslot, Centric and Stoptech etc. They also offer sloted and cross-drilled versions.

Questions:

Are the aftermarket rotors going to be heavier than the stock rotors?

The cross-drilled and slotted rotors come with a warning NOT to use them while racing. I don't race, at least no now, but this makes me hesitant despite the thought of having "cooler looking rotors".

I have not experience with Stoptech or Centric, but are they really better than stock? Are they heavier? Will they eventually rust on the O.D. of the rotor?

I wouild appreciate anyone's experience with aftermarket rotors.

Thanks,
I have 68K on my 545i, rotors replaced at last brake job by BMW. Love the fact that they stop well, and look good. Hubs keep a nice shine. This was the front.Rear is due in 8K miles. Rear still look good.

I saw some pics of some aftermarket slotted rotors and they were all dark and rusted. Just go with OEM.