E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Brake pads change, does it include brake oil change too?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 03:14 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the "Service due" lights on, for a Brake fluid and microfilter change. Meanwhile, my brake pads will need change in circa 6 months or so.

My question is, can I just wait till the brake pads are due to change and do the lot in one go. This way I can save some cash and time? Or do I need to pay extra for brake fluid replacement anyway?

Thanks guys
Old 01-06-2008, 03:32 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

Brake fluid changes are charged extra.
The only saving is in your time - you will have to take the car in twice rather than once.
The brake fluid change is done without even taking the wheels off, and takes only a few minutes (doesn't stop them charging a fortune though )
I would leave the pads until they are due for a change. It is a simple job to change the pads, both front and rear, so you don't HAVE to go to the $tealers to get it done. Do a search on service reset, and it will tell you how to reset the brake pad replacement interval when you do have them done. The fluid isn't touched when the pads are replaced.

Mike
Old 01-06-2008, 05:08 AM
Contributors

Brake fluid replacement could wait the extra few months and done at one time when the brake pad replacement is scheduled. I would encourage you to do regular brake fluid flushes (every 2-3 years) as it is cheap insurance to protect expensive brake system parts. Most brake fluids are hygroscopic and absorbs water that eventually could lead to internal corrosion and damage of calipers, etc. I can't speak to any newer synthetic brake fluids that may be suitable for BMW's. Silicone brake fluids do not absorb water but last I heard they are not compatible with ABS.

Here in the US, after scheduled (free) maintenance is over I'd bet that some dealers would add up the flat rate time for each individual service to price out a job - no matter the efficiencies or common sense of bundling the work done at the same time. The first time a service department tried that to me (it was a serpentine belt replacement done at the same time they R&R'ed a water pump) I steered him on a different course and prevailed. He immediately dropped the flat rate labor charge for installing a new belt.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:36 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by AlwynMike' post='514281' date='Jan 6 2008, 07:32 AM
Brake fluid changes are charged extra.
The only saving is in your time - you will have to take the car in twice rather than once.
The brake fluid change is done without even taking the wheels off, and takes only a few minutes (doesn't stop them charging a fortune though )
I would leave the pads until they are due for a change. It is a simple job to change the pads, both front and rear, so you don't HAVE to go to the $tealers to get it done. Do a search on service reset, and it will tell you how to reset the brake pad replacement interval when you do have them done. The fluid isn't touched when the pads are replaced.

Mike
In the US the brake fluid if free under the scheduled maitenance program. Its done every two years.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Originally Posted by the-oneil' post='514280' date='Jan 6 2008, 01:14 PM
I have the "Service due" lights on, for a Brake fluid and microfilter change. Meanwhile, my brake pads will need change in circa 6 months or so.

My question is, can I just wait till the brake pads are due to change and do the lot in one go. This way I can save some cash and time? Or do I need to pay extra for brake fluid replacement anyway?

Thanks guys
Brake fluid is important --> do it as per BMW spec ie. every 2 years. Personally I would feel uncomfortable with 6 months overdue brake fluid as it's hydroscopic and will degrade your braking performance and overall reliability...

Brake pads are indicated by the idrive when they need replacing (km's to go)

Save time ? maybe, money no.