E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Brake pads advice (EBC)

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012 | 05:50 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 535d M e61 530d Iron Horse Sunday :-)
Default Brake pads advice (EBC)

So before this bmw 535d I had audi a6 3.2fsi. After my oem pads where finished I bought EBC yellow stuff all around. I was very happy with the performance cold and medium hot. After brake in period I drove downhill around 140km/h with 4 persons in the car, maybe 50kg in the trunk, and I push them hard this time. After 2 sec they completely faded and I almost got my self killed. After they were cooled down, they where like before. So maybe the pad generated too much heat for the stock rotor, or the oil was old, I don't know. But, I sold that car and bought bmw 535d e60, and it's time to change pads...
Do you think same thing can happen on bmw e60 oem rotors or It was only the braking system failure with audi? I really like this pads and I was thinking of going with red stuff for this bmw and ebc recommend it for my car. BMW oem pads are too expensive imo.
Any advice? First hand experience?
Thnx
Old 11-06-2012 | 07:20 AM
Members
Senior Members

I can't give first hand experience with EBC red stuff pads on a BMW. I have only 15K on my stock pads on my 545i (replaced just before I purchased the car) but I am looking forward to changing them out to red stuff pads when a pad change is called for.

I installed EBC red stuff pads on my wife's SC430 and think they are fantastic. I have never experienced fading, even when they are pushed very hard for extended periods. Brake dust has been reduced about 80% and I like the linear feel. I have never experienced any need for warming them up before they provide solid stopping power.

One of my complaints with the BMW pads on my 545i is they bite too hard, so with just a little too much pedal pressure you feel like you get launched through the windshield, and without dragging the calipers it is very hard to be smooth in stop and go traffic. The red stuff pads on the other hand are much more linear in stopping force compared to pedal pressure. If you need the red stuff to bite just press the pedal hard.

I know some have commented on this forum that they really love the BMW stock pad's strong "bite" so I realize this is purely personal preference, but I have found nothing negative about the red stuff. Not cheap (about $180 for four corners) on the Lexus, but I felt well worth it.

Whatever pads you choose please post your review.
Old 11-06-2012 | 07:55 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 535d M e61 530d Iron Horse Sunday :-)

Thanks for the reply. I agree that strong initial bite is not good. Good brake modulation is always better then on/off feel, especially in wet or snowy conditions.
I think I'll go with the red ones. They are still 30% cheeper then OEMs at least where I live.
Hope they will not squeal. Yellow stuff squealed for 200km then silent ..
Old 11-07-2012 | 07:37 PM
New Members

My Ride: BMW 545i Sport
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62
Thumbs up Stick with OEM Pads on a Bimmer

I've own an E39 and currently an E60....I've tried various pads. In my opinion there's nothing like the OEM pads. The only other pads that I found comparable were the cool carbon pads. So unless your tracking your car on the weekends the OEM pads are the way to on a bimmer . Good luck!
Old 11-07-2012 | 08:22 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Jaystyles
I've own an E39 and currently an E60....I've tried various pads. In my opinion there's nothing like the OEM pads. The only other pads that I found comparable were the cool carbon pads. So unless your tracking your car on the weekends the OEM pads are the way to on a bimmer . Good luck!
Can you indulge us with a few details?
What kind of pads did you try? What did you like and not like about them?
What is your driving style? How long is your commute?