E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Brake Launch

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 05:12 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 Silver Gray 545i, Sport, Navigation, Steptronic, PDC, Windowshade, Bluetooth Paired with Treo 650, Huper Optik tint, Euro reflectors, Poplar Wood Gear Shift, Poplar Wood Console Cover

I have seen mulitple references to brake launch (not the assist thing on SMG cars). Is this a programmed feature in the e60 or is it simply a driving technique that you can do in any vehicle?

My understanding is you put on foot on the brake and on foot on the acclerator and accelerator to about 2500rpm's, let off and take off. This is an intentional one foot on the brake and the other on the accelerator, not accidental as in the way my wife drives.
Old 04-06-2005, 05:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Sounds like it's not good for the car.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:19 PM
JDN
Contributors

Right, either some clutch slipping or transmission shock will happen on a braking launch. I completely destroyed first gear on a 1949 Ford years ago by popping the clutch, but beat the heck out of 1951 Fordamatic before I did it.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:45 PM

This is a common/standard way to launch a car with an automatic transmission when drag racing. Most, if not all, car magazines use this technique when they gather 0-60, and 1/4 mile statistics in car reviews. It is usually explained in the fine print of the articles. Drag racing Funny Cars, rails etc. all use this technique. You can actually spin the rear tires while the front brakes hold the car in place. You need to carefully modulate the brakes so that the front wheels hold the car in place but the rear wheels are allowed to spin. It is somewhat hard on the drive train, but not terribly bad. It is probably not any worse than the SMG launch that pops the clutch at relatively high RPM. In the 5 series, you must disable DSC/DTC in order to do this or the computer will limit the throttle. I've done it with my 545 and it is no big deal and I got a nice burnout. The guy who ran the California smog check on my ED did it on the dyno portion of the test.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

Whoops. That was me. I forgot to log in.
Old 04-07-2005, 02:59 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Black on black. 6spd MT, Nav, sports package.

It's called brake torquing. It is bad for the engine mounts, and it wears the brake system.

I wouldnt do it on any e60. It's something you'd do on a loaner car.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:29 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Originally Posted by derrickj' date='Apr 6 2005, 05:12 PM
I have seen mulitple references to brake launch (not the assist thing on SMG cars).? Is this a programmed feature in the e60 or is it simply a driving technique that you can do in any vehicle?

My understanding is you put on foot on the brake and on foot on the acclerator and accelerator to about 2500rpm's, let off and take off.? This is an intentional one foot on the brake and the other on the accelerator, not accidental as in the way my wife drives.
[snapback]112222[/snapback]
had to lauph

I take it your wife does not read this forum.
Old 04-07-2005, 04:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 Silver Gray 545i, Sport, Navigation, Steptronic, PDC, Windowshade, Bluetooth Paired with Treo 650, Huper Optik tint, Euro reflectors, Poplar Wood Gear Shift, Poplar Wood Console Cover

Originally Posted by jsal' date='Apr 7 2005, 03:29 PM
[quote name='derrickj' date='Apr 6 2005, 05:12 PM']I have seen mulitple references to brake launch (not the assist thing on SMG cars).? Is this a programmed feature in the e60 or is it simply a driving technique that you can do in any vehicle?

My understanding is you put on foot on the brake and on foot on the acclerator and accelerator to about 2500rpm's, let off and take off.? This is an intentional one foot on the brake and the other on the accelerator, not accidental as in the way my wife drives.
had to lauph

I take it your wife does not read this forum.
[snapback]112494[/snapback]
[/quote]

Thankfully not! I am all tough when I know I am not going to get caught.
Old 04-07-2005, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by derrickj' date='Apr 6 2005, 08:12 PM
I have seen mulitple references to brake launch (not the assist thing on SMG cars).? Is this a programmed feature in the e60 or is it simply a driving technique that you can do in any vehicle?

If your 545i is 8/04 production shoudn't it really be an early 2005?

I thought production ends in late July and the Plant is closed for vacation the Month of August.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

I've used this technique on many cars with automatic transmissons but I never thought to try it with my SMG. Accelleration Assist is basically worthless unless you've got some relatively new tread and there is really no way to modulate the clutch upon launch.

Has anyone tried this on an SMG? Does it work? As I think about it I can smell a burning clutch. Am I wrong?

Quick Reply: Brake Launch