E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake judder back again, getting desperate

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 09:49 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Folks,

To answer the question posted above, I installed the new rotors/pads about 1,000 miles ago. I hope the juddering problem doesn't return and so far, there's not even a hint of it.

As for greasing the caliper guide pins, I've read both arguments too but as long as the caps are reinstalled over the guide pins, it's not easy for dirt to get into the calipers, and it makes sense that a little lubrication should help the calipers to move more freely and avoid any binding. I used a high quality silicone brake grease called Sil-Glide (or something like that) that seems to be working well.

Hope this helps,
MIke
Old 10-21-2015, 03:39 PM
Members

Originally Posted by mrottenborn
Hi Folks,

To answer the question posted above, I installed the new rotors/pads about 1,000 miles ago. I hope the juddering problem doesn't return and so far, there's not even a hint of it.

As for greasing the caliper guide pins, I've read both arguments too but as long as the caps are reinstalled over the guide pins, it's not easy for dirt to get into the calipers, and it makes sense that a little lubrication should help the calipers to move more freely and avoid any binding. I used a high quality silicone brake grease called Sil-Glide (or something like that) that seems to be working well.

Hope this helps,
MIke
Mike,

Thanks for you reply. Please let us know if the problem returns. I truly hope this solves the issue.

Thanks!
Old 11-17-2015, 09:41 AM
New Members

Default Update

Just following up on the above post, after 1 month and 2,000 miles the brakes are still perfect, like butter.... Not even a hint of judder or pulsation at any speed. The front wheels get a bit dusty but for me, it's an easy trade-off for perfect brakes.

I hope this helps someone else solve this problem.

Mike
Old 02-18-2019, 05:40 AM
New Members

My Ride: E60 530d MSport, factory rear tints, Xenons, Black Headliner, Automatic

"Holy thread resurrection Batman".

I have the exact same problems as stated. Gonna pull the wheels and check all the above. Funny symptom that wasn't brought up though, is just as the car is coming to a stop, you can feel in the braking that slowing isn't continuous.
Old 10-03-2019, 04:51 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i, all options
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54B30

Originally Posted by Irelandoffline
"Holy thread resurrection Batman".

I have the exact same problems as stated. Gonna pull the wheels and check all the above. Funny symptom that wasn't brought up though, is just as the car is coming to a stop, you can feel in the braking that slowing isn't continuous.
+1, including the "discontinuous" feel when slowing down and the OP's remark that the judder goes away when pressing harder on the brake.

I was about to get a set of discs/pads but based on this thread I will check the calipers. Anyone with more info since the original thread please update - thank you!
Old 12-12-2019, 09:06 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: '08 E61 520d, tobacco nappa, comfort seats, heated + memory, black headliner, sports steering wheel, steptronic, tinted rear windows, electrically folding side side mirrors, ccc professional, cd-changer, aux/usb, adaptive hid's

Originally Posted by Pilot
+1, including the "discontinuous" feel when slowing down and the OP's remark that the judder goes away when pressing harder on the brake.

I was about to get a set of discs/pads but based on this thread I will check the calipers. Anyone with more info since the original thread please update - thank you!
Actually I can confirm that the problem is caliper and disc related. After the first time, the caliper on the other side went bad as well this summer. Changed the caliper, judder still there, changed the rotor as well and gone judder. I have been judder-free for several months now :-)
The following users liked this post:
Pilot (12-15-2019)