E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Brake Issue - Rubbing

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 02:25 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VTec' post='342905' date='Oct 9 2006, 01:21 AM
Thanks for the responses guys. I'll check the torque on my lugs. Also, nicke60gre, I didn't even know this could happen. I'll check into that as well.

If anyone else has any ideas, please post. I should have my car in the shop this week and will be armed with info. I'll post the outcome, of course.
You can check this by applying the hand brake as the car goes slowly and hear the sound changing a little, with your windows open of course

Nick
Old 10-08-2006, 03:37 PM
zen
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it the front or rear wheel? If the front then the hand brake has no effect. Also, If you have a shop retorque the lugs make sure they do it by hand and not with a air wrench. Many problems occur because the shops never do it with a hand torgue wrench and always use a air gun. All lugs (on all cars) are not tightened the same amount. I believe that the proper torque for a BMW is 88.5 ftlb's.
Old 10-08-2006, 03:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 M6: Silverstone Metallic... Fully loaded2005 DINAN5 (545i): Jet Black... Fully loaded1955 Chevy: Custom

My problem is with the front left, I'll check with the shop tomorrow

Originally Posted by zen' post='342923' date='Oct 8 2006, 04:37 PM
Is it the front or rear wheel? If the front then the hand brake has no effect. Also, If you have a shop retorque the lugs make sure they do it by hand and not with a air wrench. Many problems occur because the shops never do it with a hand torgue wrench and always use a air gun. All lugs (on all cars) are not tightened the same amount. I believe that the proper torque for a BMW is 88.5 ftlb's.
Old 10-08-2006, 04:11 PM
Members

Originally Posted by zen' post='342923' date='Oct 8 2006, 06:37 PM
It "sounds" like the rear, but haven't had someone stay next to me long enough to find out. Good point though.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:50 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i : Alpine White, Steptronic, Black Interior with Amethyst Leather & Popular Grain Brown, 17" 122-Style Rims, Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Advanced A/C, Sports Steering Wheel, Electrically Adjustable Steering Column, Extended Lighting Package, PDC, Sliding Armrest, Bus Navi, Hi-Fi Sound System (MP3 DVDs), CD Changer, Rear Sunshades.. MODS:M-tech front bumper, Painted Grill, Installed Aux-In, Garage Door Opener (Overhead Compartement), ///M Steering wheel, Wood hand brake trim, Wood gear-shift lever. 35% Tint all around.. Got, ACS Roof Spoiler, but not installed..

just noticed today that i longer have this rubbing sound...the sound was form the rear, i think ..
but a few days ago i removed the rims to clean them and reinstalled them, buy hand... seems the sound is no longer there...
check the lugs are not too tight....
Old 10-09-2006, 04:50 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i : Alpine White, Steptronic, Black Interior with Amethyst Leather & Popular Grain Brown, 17" 122-Style Rims, Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Advanced A/C, Sports Steering Wheel, Electrically Adjustable Steering Column, Extended Lighting Package, PDC, Sliding Armrest, Bus Navi, Hi-Fi Sound System (MP3 DVDs), CD Changer, Rear Sunshades.. MODS:M-tech front bumper, Painted Grill, Installed Aux-In, Garage Door Opener (Overhead Compartement), ///M Steering wheel, Wood hand brake trim, Wood gear-shift lever. 35% Tint all around.. Got, ACS Roof Spoiler, but not installed..

just noticed today that i longer have this rubbing sound...the sound was form the rear, i think ..
but a few days ago i removed the rims to clean them and reinstalled them, buy hand... seems the sound is no longer there...
check the lugs are not too tight....
EDIT: checked the car again, i still get this sound once i start aplying light presure on the brakes, then it just turns into the brake squek.. then when aplying more presure it just becomes silent,,, but atleast i dont get the sound without using the brakes like i use to...