E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake hiss/noise?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 12:44 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed some break hiss/noise this morning upon my arrival at work.

It is a CPO '08 535i, and it really only made noise when I pushed the breaks fully in, kind of like whine/hiss sound. The brakes feel normal, no decreased power. I normally wouldn't have heard anything, but I have roll down my window to scan my keycard to enter my parking garage at work. The car had 54k miles when I got it CPO, which the brake system was checked. There are no error statuses in the iDrive or on the dash. I have my first service appointment this Saturday (which is also the 55k mile service).

In the meantime, any thoughts what could cause the noise?
Old 12-05-2011, 05:39 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

I had that same problem and I got new pads and rotors - but that was under factory warranty. Unless you have extended maintenance, the CPO warranty won't cover this. You will almost certainly have to pay out of pocket. In that case you may consider going with aftermarket rotors and pads.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:13 PM
Members

I have 2 years of maintenance or up to 100,000 miles. Previous owner had paid for it, so it came with the car. I'm not sure if that is usually covered if it's considered wear and tear? The pads seem fairly new, 6mm/5.5mm thickness, though I am coming from a Civic where I would wear those pads down to 0.5 mm.

But anyways, I researched some more about this and it seems this is a fairly common problem that either will/will not be fixed by BMW.

Looks like it can range from dusty rotors to rubbing sensors, but BMW may also say this noise is simply common.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:12 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Brake pads and rotors are always considered wear and tear items. BMW is one of the few (if not the only) car makers that replace them for free - but again ONLY under the factory warranty (4 years/50k miles).

But if you are sure you have the maintenance plan then you are still covered. Just let your SA know the car makes noticeable sounds when you press the brake and they should be replaced.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:05 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW 550i M Sport
Model Year: 2010
Engine: 4.8L V8

I have the extended BMW warranty but no maintenance included. I took my 2007 530i to North Scottsdale BMW and complained about the squeaking coming from my front brakes. I told them it was no problem for me to pay out of pocket but that I just wanted the noise gone. After completing the other services I requested (oil change, replace diversity amplifier, flush/replace brake fluid), my SA told me that squeaky brakes are just a common problem with the e60, and there was nothing they could do. I asked if maybe the sensors needed to be replaced and he said they only replace the sensors when doing a complete brake job...pads & rotors. So because my brakes were replaced in April and are basically new, there is nothing they could do.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:18 AM
Senior Members

Well guys looks like youll have to pull the calipers off clean them, lube em and anti-seize them. Dealer does not take extra time in doing these processes. So you either let them squeak or you get some tools out and do something about it!
Old 12-07-2011, 09:24 AM
Members

Yup, that's basically what I had found out from doing research.

Since this car was CPO, the pads/rotors are pretty much new because they were replaced before they sold the car to me.

It seems to be totally random when it occurs, but mostly braking at speeds of less than 10mph and only when I fully push the pedal. And then other times, it doesn't squeak at all.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:53 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW 550i M Sport
Model Year: 2010
Engine: 4.8L V8

Originally Posted by 525iEnjoy
Well guys looks like youll have to pull the calipers off clean them, lube em and anti-seize them. Dealer does not take extra time in doing these processes. So you either let them squeak or you get some tools out and do something about it!
What do you mean anti-seize them? Sorry I'm not a mechanic...
Old 12-07-2011, 10:17 AM
Senior Members

Brake hiss/noise?-antiseize.jpg

apply anywhere metal to metal contact may occur
Old 12-07-2011, 10:43 AM
Senior Members

Attachment 128836

apply anywhere metal to metal contact may occur
Have you done this?

If so, please explain....and where exactly does the metal to metal contact exist on a brake caliper.

Last I remember handling a brake caliper all it did was sit in the carrier and push a piston against the brake pad.............

Quick Reply: Brake hiss/noise?